UM-UF 2019/Pre-Snap Motion

Category_5

Recruit
Reading the current thread on LSU tickets reminded me of something Blake James shared last month during the Orlando stop of the Building Champions Tour. James said that one of his stipulations for the Hurricanes agreeing to play the Gators in Orlando next year was that Miami would receive 50% of the total tickets allotted. So I expect to see at least half of the seats in Camping World Stadium filled with screaming Canes fans on August 31, 2019!

During the Q&A session in Orlando there was an interesting exchange between Mark Richt and a fan when the questioner asked the head coach if we would see more pre-snap motion this season. Richt quickly retorted, "Why do you want to see more motion?" The fan, caught off guard by the unexpected interrogation, stumbled through a response about it “creating mismatches.” Richt fired back, "Oh yeah, how does it create mismatches?" The fan stammered a little, now with the audience’s full attention upon him, but Coach Richt quickly let him off the hook by joking about how well motion worked for us against Clemson last year. (I know Miami didn’t employ any fancy motion in that game but rather simple late shifts by the running back; however, that does qualify as “motion.”) CMR then remarked about having similar kinds of discussions with his staff about motion and other coaching strategies. In his response that night, I felt like he stopped just short of saying, “You know motion doesn’t make your QB more accurate?,” but perhaps I was reading too much into it? My takeaway was that it sounds like we might see more pre-snap motion concepts this fall. Fingers crossed!

Lastly, after lurking around here for years and then joining last June, I finally posted something.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Reading the current thread on LSU tickets reminded me of something Blake James shared last month during the Orlando stop of the Building Champions Tour. James said that one of his stipulations for the Hurricanes agreeing to play the Gators in Orlando next year was that Miami would receive 50% of the total tickets allotted. So I expect to see at least half of the seats in Camping World Stadium filled with screaming Canes fans on August 31, 2019!

During the Q&A session in Orlando there was an interesting exchange between Mark Richt and a fan when the questioner asked the head coach if we would see more pre-snap motion this season. Richt quickly retorted, "Why do you want to see more motion?" The fan, caught off guard by the unexpected interrogation, stumbled through a response about it “creating mismatches.” Richt fired back, "Oh yeah, how does it create mismatches?" The fan stammered a little, now with the audience’s full attention upon him, but Coach Richt quickly let him off the hook by joking about how well motion worked for us against Clemson last year. (I know Miami didn’t employ any fancy motion in that game but rather simple late shifts by the running back; however, that does qualify as “motion.”) CMR then remarked about having similar kinds of discussions with his staff about motion and other coaching strategies. In his response that night, I felt like he stopped just short of saying, “You know motion doesn’t make your QB more accurate?,” but perhaps I was reading too much into it? My takeaway was that it sounds like we might see more pre-snap motion concepts this fall. Fingers crossed!

Lastly, after lurking around here for years and then joining last June, I finally posted something.

Go Canes!

And that's a shame that motion won't make our QB more accurate. If it did - we'd need all the motion we could get - every play! Maybe some before kickoff.

Maybe some more after the game.

Only problem as it pertains to the tickets is that 50% is not of the total, it's 50% of what the allocation is for the teams, just as he said. Florida cannot dictate the ticket allotment as it's not their venue. They can only agree to split the available tickets. Point is the place holds 65K, say each team gets 25K tickets with the remainder held by the stadium for various reasons, the majority of those extra seats will go to Uif fans. I'd expect no more than 35-40% Cane fans.

Only problem as it pertains to the tickets is that 50% is not of the total, it's 50% of what the allocation is for the teams, just as he said. Florida cannot dictate the ticket allotment as it's not their venue. They can only agree to split the available tickets. Point is the place holds 65K, say each team gets 25K tickets with the remainder held by the stadium for various reasons, the majority of those extra seats will go to Uif fans. I'd expect no more than 35-40% Cane fans.

Just out of curiosity, why would those extra seats, let's say they’re about 15K based on your calculations, go to mostly the gators. I assume they would be under the control of the committee in charge of that kickoff bowl (Camping World Kickoff bowl or whatever).

If it's mostly locals buying the non-allotted tickets, then it will be mostly gators. Orlando is gator country

Advertisement
And that's a shame that motion won't make our QB more accurate. If it did - we'd need all the motion we could get - every play! Maybe some before kickoff.

Maybe some more after the game.

If motion did affect our QB play, this would happen before every snap...

17B0BDBE-9158-42B6-A5E3-DC93144664F0.gif

My point was that James demanded an equal share of the allotted tickets (controlled by CWS, not UF), and I can’t recall that happening for a neutral site game in a long time. I haven’t missed a home game since Richt came home, and CWS is 30 minutes closer to my home than HRS, so this will be a shorter trip for me. Of course, my seats in Orlando won’t be nearly as nice as my Club Level ones in Miami Gardens. The non-allotted tickets will be up for grabs on the open market, so it’s up to the fans to determine the final attendance percentage. I hope to see all of you there!

My point was that James demanded an equal share of the allotted tickets (controlled by CWS, not UF), and I can’t recall that happening for a neutral site game in a long time. I haven’t missed a home game since Richt came home, and CWS is 30 minutes closer to my home than HRS, so this will be a shorter trip for me. Of course, my seats in Orlando won’t be nearly as nice as my Club Level ones in Miami Gardens. The non-allotted tickets will be up for grabs on the open market, so it’s up to the fans to determine the final attendance percentage. I hope to see all of you there!

So it will be a free open market for the non allotted tickets.

If it’s more than 50% gators, it’s nobody’s fault but canes fans that didn’t pony up. Pure and simple.

So it will be a free open market for the non allotted tickets.

If it’s more than 50% gators, it’s nobody’s fault but canes fans that didn’t pony up. Pure and simple.
I doubt they’ll be up for grabs until all the butt-kissing and freebies are given out. I said mostly gators because you know I’f bull gator Jim Bob needs another ten tix, then he’ll call his buddy who’s on the Camping World board and get them, no question. Bottom line tons of alumni all over that area.

Advertisement
People think "motion" is some type of magic bullet.

Bottom line: Richt knows his team better than every single motion fanboy on here. Your opinion as to the usefulness of motion is of no value.

People think "motion" is some type of magic bullet.

Bottom line: Richt knows his team better than every single motion fanboy on here. Your opinion as to the usefulness of motion is of no value.

Motion does help the QB read what the defense is running in coverage, also sets up plays, motion in college is a very helpful tool

Motion does help the QB read what the defense is running in coverage, also sets up plays, motion in college is a very helpful tool

I agree, but if the QB already has trouble reading coverages, motion may end up being counterproductive. I've been on the "can we at least see some rudimentary motion" bandwagon for a long time now, but I can understand why we don't use it right now, particularly during the Rosier Administration.

I think when fans ask for motion they mean in the run game where we can use fast, dynamic WRs on jet motion/split flow to constrain the defense and/or get athletes in space. The Rams and Chiefs do this well.

Motion in the passing game is generally used to identify coverage which isn't as necessary when most college defenses aren't disguising heavily. Although in the future I'd like to see Jordan & Mallory in motion like the Patriots do where you can line up in heavy personnel and split them out wide or vice versa. That's how you create favorable matchups with motion because you force the defense into the wrong personnel grouping without the chance to substitute.

Advertisement
I doubt they’ll be up for grabs until all the butt-kissing and freebies are given out. I said mostly gators because you know I’f bull gator Jim Bob needs another ten tix, then he’ll call his buddy who’s on the Camping World board and get them, no question. Bottom line tons of alumni all over that area.

I see what you’re saying, but it still shouldn’t be a huge disparity if we have enough demand on our end.

I’ll be concerned the day I hear a canes fan say he couldn’t get tickets to an away game or a bowl game because demand exceeded the supply of canes tickets. That day has yet to happen. Ever.

I get that, but people act like Richt doesn't use it because he's stupid or has never heard of it. I'm assuming he's got a better reason.

Advertisement
You don't want to use motion for a QB who's inexperienced or a mental midget. Reason being...

When the offense motions it changes the "picture" for the QB.
The QB goes from making his reads from a 2x2 formation to making quick pre-snap reads from a 3x1 formation. (or vice versa)
The picture (for the QB) changes right before the snap. This requires quicker decision making for your QB.

When the offensive picture changes, THE DEFENSIVE PICTURE changes. Defenses have different checks and adjustments to motion. The way they defend 2x2 is different than the way they defend 3x1, so your QB has to understand these defensive adjustments in the blink of an eye.

Your QB has to say to himself...
"We're in 2x2 right now but we're about to motion to 3x1. How does the defense defend/adjust to 3x1?"
It adds to the amount of stuff that your QB has to think about pre-snap.
Moving parts are always harder to read.

Last edited:
You don't want to use motion for a QB who's inexperienced or a mental midget. Reason being...

The QB goes from making his reads from a 2x2 formation to making quick pre-snap reads from a 3x1 formation. (or vice versa)
The picture (for the QB) changes right before the snap. This requires quicker decision making for your QB.

When the offensive picture changes, THE DEFENSIVE PICTURE changes. Defenses have different checks and adjustments to motion. The way they defend 2x2 is different than the way they defend 3x1, so your QB has to understand these defensive adjustments in the blink of an eye.

"We're in 2x2 right now but we're about to motion to 3x1. How does the defense defend/adjust to 3x1?"

I get that but your QB has to be really slow thinking to not read that, just little motions help too you dont gotta be like Oregon and snap the ball right at the sweep, just moving one wideout to stack a side or even moving a TE at the line and seeing the adjustment can help, i guess you feel we dont do it because its rosier lol

Basically everyone in the football world uses pre-snap motion. From my cousin's 2A HS progrum all the way through the NFL.

If your QB isn't advanced enough to figure it out once he has his HS diploma then he really isn't a good QB.

That being said.... #AnyoneButRosier

Advertisement
Back