2023 UM trying to lure 5 star WR Jurrion ****ey Offered, Palo Alto, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Oregon had Verdell and Dye running the ball...I mean there are only so many yards to gain in a game.
You are right but that also plays into the argument against Mario. He chose to run the ball a bunch. On one hand, it worked and he won the Pac12 and a Rose Bowl, on the other hand, well you know the argument...

I agree he didnt regress but he also didnt flourish. Both arguments have validity. He had nearly 3500 yds and 32 TDS but that was over 14 games which comes out to just under 250 and 2.3 per game. Very good stats but not elite. To give you some sense here, Malik went for 3100 yds in 13 games in 2017. When Herbert went 6th overall, people gave the Chargers **** about it, they saw something others just didnt see and they turned out right. The argument then got flipped on Mario when Herbert blew up immediately that he held him back. There is validity there and there is BS. Of course sports pundits' careers depend on opinions so its not surprise that many took the stance that Mario ruined him or he regressed under him. So now Mario has another highly touted QB in TVD under him and the early returns arent great.
His numbers were no different than Trevor Lawrence and I don't see anyone saying Lawrence was held back at Clemson. It's a bull**** argument from buttburt Oregon fans. TVD isn't on the same level at Herbert. Also another thing is show me the great WRs Oregon had. I don't see any of them in the league right now.

You are right but that also plays into the argument against Mario. He chose to run the ball a bunch. On one hand, it worked and he won the Pac12 and a Rose Bowl, on the other hand, well you know the argument...

ON ONE HAND IT WORKED BUT.....

:pgdead:

His numbers were no different than Trevor Lawrence and I don't see anyone saying Lawrence was held back at Clemson. It's a bull**** argument from buttburt Oregon fans. TVD isn't on the same level at Herbert.
I have said there are elements of this being a BS argument. You are correct on Lawrence, but the difference being that Clemson had had successful QBs in recent years. Also, the Herbert argument against Mario didnt originate with Oregon fans, it was their rivals in the PAC12 that started that when he was still at Oregon, they just ran with it when he left.

Advertisement
ON ONE HAND IT WORKED BUT.....

:pgdead:
Once again, sports pundits have a job to do, that includes having off the wall opinions. Their argument will be that if they just focused on Herbert being All Pro Herbert, Oregon goes even higher. That is where the arguments start. Then if the story starts to gain any traction, it builds and grows as it is now. If TVD is performing okay, we are undefeated or at least didnt lose to Middle Teen, this isnt that loud right now.

The whole "Mario ruined Justin Herbert" argument is so weird to me.

Oregon Stats
2016 (Helfrich's last year) - 19 TDs, 4 INTs, 1,936 yards
2017 (Taggart takes over) - 15 TDs, 5 INTs, 1,983 yards
2018 (Mario takes over) - 29 TDs, 8 INTs, 3,151 yards
2019 (Mario 2nd year) - 32 TDs, 5 INTs, 3,471 yards

Justin Herbert wasn't highly ranked coming out of high school. He became the starter as a true freshman in 2016 and had a really strong start to his career. The hype was real early on but how many QBs get hype early on in their careers and end up fizzing out? Herbert got better under Mario.

I guess they were expecting him to win the Heisman in 2019 so there was maybe disappointment there? But the finalists that year were Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma), Justin Fields (Ohio State), and Joe Burrow (LSU). I mean.....those QBs are no joke and they still went 12-2 and he had a solid year that resulted in him being 6th overall.

Washington should have taken him at #2 but they had a defensive minded coach in Del Rio and Chase Young was too good to pass up. Detroit still had Stafford and are a notoriously bad organization. The Giants just took Daniel Jones the year before. Dolphins ****ed up.

That's not to say Mario is an offensive mastermind. We all know he is not. I just don't understand the narrative that Mario ****ed up Herbert.
Someone needs to respond to fuhrman who has Twitter with these facts

Advertisement
The whole "Mario ruined Justin Herbert" argument is so weird to me.

Oregon Stats
2016 (Helfrich's last year) - 19 TDs, 4 INTs, 1,936 yards
2017 (Taggart takes over) - 15 TDs, 5 INTs, 1,983 yards
2018 (Mario takes over) - 29 TDs, 8 INTs, 3,151 yards
2019 (Mario 2nd year) - 32 TDs, 5 INTs, 3,471 yards

Justin Herbert wasn't highly ranked coming out of high school. He became the starter as a true freshman in 2016 and had a really strong start to his career. The hype was real early on but how many QBs get hype early on in their careers and end up fizzing out? Herbert got better under Mario.

I guess they were expecting him to win the Heisman in 2019 so there was maybe disappointment there? But the finalists that year were Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma), Justin Fields (Ohio State), and Joe Burrow (LSU). I mean.....those QBs are no joke and they still went 12-2 and he had a solid year that resulted in him being 6th overall.

Washington should have taken him at #2 but they had a defensive minded coach in Del Rio and Chase Young was too good to pass up. Detroit still had Stafford and are a notoriously bad organization. The Giants just took Daniel Jones the year before. Dolphins ****ed up.

That's not to say Mario is an offensive mastermind. We all know he is not. I just don't understand the narrative that Mario ****ed up Herbert.

It’s the worlds most ridiculous thing. The kid had 3500 yards and 30+
Passing TDs since when is that ruining lol

Advertisement
Oregon had Verdell and Dye running the ball...I mean there are only so many yards to gain in a game.

All Of Them GIF by MOODMAN

It’s the worlds most ridiculous thing. The kid had 3500 yards and 30+
Passing TDs since when is that ruining lol
Everyone sees the box score stats from Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, Tua, and Mac Jones throwing 40+ TDs and think Herbert should have done the same. He could have, had he played for those teams in those offenses with those QBs supporting cast of WRs. But he didn’t and Oregon didn’t have that WR room.

Would you rather have Mayfield, Murray, Tua, Mac Jones, or Herbert as your QB?

Advertisement
Everyone sees the box score stats from Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, Tua, and Mac Jones throwing 40+ TDs and think Herbert should have done the same. He could have, had he played for those teams in those offenses with those QBs supporting cast of WRs. But he didn’t and Oregon didn’t have that WR room.

Esto!

Oregon had a strong WR room. He just didn’t play in an offense that aired it out like that. However, he played really good. I think the issue comes from him being projected 1 overall before he decides to return but that’s misleading because we don’t know what a team will need the following year.

Oregon had a strong WR room. He just didn’t play in an offense that aired it out like that. However, he played really good. I think the issue comes from him being projected 1 overall before he decides to return but that’s misleading because we don’t know what a team will need the following year.
Didnt stay Oregon had a weak WR room. I said they didnt have a WR room like Bama or OU. In particular, Bama put a number of 1st and 2nd round picks. Where were Oregon’s WRs drafted?

Didnt stay Oregon had a weak WR room. I said they didnt have a WR room like Bama or OU. In particular, Bama put a number of 1st and 2nd round picks. Where were Oregon’s WRs drafted?

Okay but you don’t have to have those type of WR rooms to put up big numbers. Where was NC state WRs drafted? WSU? NC State? North Texas? It was the offense. He had former 4 stars catching passes from him. Only difference is that he was in an offense that didn’t pass much? There were offenses with less heralded players that put up bigger passing numbers. They didn’t have those OSU or Bama playmakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back