UM pushing for settlement with the cartel

The NCAA certainly does have a choice, and will say no, but from a PR perspective, this is a good thing. IT puts them on the defensive. Its like negotiations. You start out asking for as much as you can get away with, this puts the ball in their court. It makes it look like we are willing to end this whole fiasco and let them save face. If they dont, then we are going to go to the mattresses, because they have already admitted that their investigation was comproimised, and corrupt, and the NCAA ITSELF is guilty of the **** infractions they likely want to hit us with. Certainly grounds for a lawsuit on some level. This could lead to them looking for a quick resolution, and some smaller penalties, so they can wrap this up, even if they dont agree to a settlement.

Advertisement
I don't see how the U is not in control of this situation. This will continue to get played out on the news and SC is suing the NCAA as well. Their best bet is to get this done as soon as possible.

I don't see how the U is not in control of this situation. This will continue to get played out on the news and SC is suing the NCAA as well. Their best bet is to get this done as soon as possible.

Becaue the NCAA is always in control, even when they are not.

Bottom line is, we still hold a STRONG hand here. But the NCAA could dig in and feel like letting us skate opens them up to a deluge from other schools like SC..... so they may try to hit us anyway. If it does end up in a long and bitter fight, this case can drag on for another year or two. Good thing would be if we just ignored it and went about our business that whole time.

Advertisement
We have the hammer, but Donna is a politician. I think both her and Emmert know that if we dont get anymore sanctions, Ohio Taint, UNC, USC, UCF, Boise St, etc will probably think about legal action as well. Unless USC can get those documents unsealed, they might be the only one who has a legitimate case, as the others went through the process and didnt have any fraud committed against them.

But, people tend to forget we have already had some punishments. 2 post seasons in a row, which is an extra 3-4 weeks of practice time each year. Not to mention the black cloud that has been hanging over our Athletic Programs for the last 2 years. We wont skate, but compared to what it couldve been, we'll probably be treading through a couple of inches of snow with LL Beans brand new snow shoes on and a cold bud light in our hand.

Exactly. I'm not expecting us to get nothing. What I am absolutely expecting is that we should not get anything more than Ohio Taint or UNC got. The NCAA would be smart to work something out with UM even if it's behind the scenes where both parties can come to an agreement on the additional penalties.

Let's not lose track of the fact that these fraudulent unscrupulous incompetent "investigators" have already had us on probation for 2 years while they were committing their misdeeds. How much extra time did they waste during this witch hunt f#cking around with stuff that they shouldn't have been f#cking around with? All that time was time that this mess could have been behind us, and we could have been recovering from the witch hunt.

Dapper seems like a nice guy, who is very knowledgeable, and I admittedly don't have his knowledge of the inner workings and processes of the NCAA machine. However, I've got 20 years of real legal experience studying and participating in settlement negotiations. I can assure you men from my vast experience that the party with the hammer calls the shots.

This case went from the NCAA holding all the cards and us having to suck their d#ck and quietly eat sh#t to us now having the hammer. You can see that very clearly if you know how to read the tea leaves. President Shalala's public statement was an alpha move. A move by a hammer holder. She made no such statements throughout this entire sickening foot-dragging witch hunt. Suddenly, she's making strong public statements. Read the tea leaves, men. The tide has turned on this one.

This case is ripe for a back room deal. Of course, the parties can agree as part of that settlement that they will go through the whole sham of the NOA and the next step of the COI hearing. But the NCAA would be wise to tread carefully here. Their entire organization can be blow to sh#t, and a LOT of people can lose their cash cow if they push UM here.

They don't want another lawsuit where they are made a mockery of. Trust me. How is it going to play in the court of public opinion that an organization that clearly lost institutional control is trying to penalize UM for the same thing?

Hmmm, I'm pretty much saying the same thing. The NCAA gains a lot by seeming to stick to procedure. Is UM going to sue just because the case moves forward according to procedures? There would nothing to sue for at that point, and UM wouldn't have exhausted administrative remedies. Case moves into summary disposition procedures...and UM ends up getting hit with very minor additional sanctions. Is UM going to sue over that? No. Not only that, they arguably can't until after they appeal the COI's decision (exhaustion of administrative remedies again), since the NCAA would be following its procedures.

As I stated in another post, in seeming to follow normal procedures, UM and the involved individuals could end up with a veto power of sorts with respect to what ends up in the written report that goes to the COI for a summary disposition. If that's not both holding the hammer and calling the shots, explain to me how it isn't. The bottom line is UM would walk away with the best possible result for it, and the NCAA would avoid lawsuits from UM or any other institutions.

Correct, and that is how it will play out. A few schollies and time served. Now if they will just get on with it, we enter into a summary disposition and move on already. Everyone's happy (in a relative way, anyway), no suits can or will be pursued and the NCAA saves as much face as possible...

The NCAA certainly does have a choice, and will say no, but from a PR perspective, this is a good thing. IT puts them on the defensive. Its like negotiations. You start out asking for as much as you can get away with, this puts the ball in their court. It makes it look like we are willing to end this whole fiasco and let them save face. If they dont, then we are going to go to the mattresses, because they have already admitted that their investigation was comproimised, and corrupt, and the NCAA ITSELF is guilty of the **** infractions they likely want to hit us with. Certainly grounds for a lawsuit on some level. This could lead to them looking for a quick resolution, and some smaller penalties, so they can wrap this up, even if they dont agree to a settlement.

The other part of the equation is the NCAA's case against Haith, Hurtt, and Hill. I think the NCAA wants to hit them hard, but this botched investigation complicates things. If the NCAA imposes a 3 year show cause against those coaches and Hait/Hurtt/Hill sue the NCAA in response, those three coaches would be able to allege monetary damages against the NCAA much easier than if UM were to bring suit against the NCAA.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight.

This is a two year investigation AND they've still ****ed it up?

Drop it. Time served. Move on.

Advertisement
Would be stupid of us if we didn't try.

Not so sure. We have a pretty good basketball team this year and they have self imposed nothing. I would hate to keep them from going to the NCAA tournement this year which they will surely qualify for.

thing is even with time served. the witch hunt proved successful bc FOR TWO ******* YEARS we've had to live with this over our head and the media trumping it up every chance they get. Along with coaches lying and selling kids on us getting the death penalty. Add to that two bowl games and an ACCCG taken away along with the subsequent practice time and they've been able to hold us down for a few years. they got what they wanted. they ****ed us with lying and the help of little ***** rat sitting in prison. I'm just tired of acting like time served is okay

Advertisement
Back