UM offers 2022 WR Jacolby Spells

Advertisement
I have no knowledge of his personal situation but I get the sense this might be a he needs to leave town type of commitment. I find it hard to believe a very good corner prospect didn't have any other Florida teams in his top 5 and his top 2 are WVU and Indiana. WVU has a history of getting very good Florida kids that they have no business getting without something behind the scenes.

Advertisement
He said IU is the sleeper and didn’t know which one between WVU and Indiana but continues to say Miami wants him. Long way to go but so odd picking those 2 schools with a better offer on the table. Indiana football atmosphere is boring as ****
Atmosphere is extremely boring. I know firsthand. How is this kid academically?

Advertisement
Staff played itself again, when will they learn? The tweets (Cooneys dumb spelling bee tweet smfh), crystal balls, silent commit BS, leaks, etc. Just the same mistakes over and over it seems. I've been patient but need some real movement here this month.
it seems the only people that know less than Miami fan boy experts are the Miami coaches themselves. 🤣

locally he is a cb i wanted.

If they land the guys the have rated higher wont be a miss...Graves, OR ONE OF THE BIG OUT OF STATE KIDS.

Dont think we get a Heritage kid again this go round
I wanted that speed to develop for sure. **** is about to get real interesting. Staff can easily pivot and turn the heat up on other’s tho

Staff played itself again, when will they learn? The tweets (Cooneys dumb spelling bee tweet smfh), crystal balls, silent commit BS, leaks, etc. Just the same mistakes over and over it seems. I've been patient but need some real movement here this month.
Idk what “mistakes” they made. Staff has 0 to do with a crystal ball on CIS..there’s no difference from being a “silent commit” and being public with it on july4...again, it’s July

Advertisement
Idk if you guys were watching but spells was quiet af a month before the commitment...clear sign to me
They've been saying he was a silent to them since his OV. Here it is in print:

The four-star prospect told the coaches that he wanted to be a Mountaineer when he officially visited back in early June, but that he wanted to make a couple more trips before going public with his decision. The staff would take him in a second, but they knew his recruitment was far from over. Spells confirmed everything was the same after his official visits to Indiana and Miami, choosing not to go to Miami's Paradise Camp right before the dead period. The last hurdle was him telling the coaches for Miami and Indiana the news - which he didn't do until Friday. That's always a day where you hope no one talks him out of his decision, and they obviously did not.

Here's the rest of the story:

West Virginia first made contact with Jacolby Spells after his freshman year in high school. The Mountaineers were one of the first to do so, showing strong interest in Spells as a receiver, especially with his amazing speed. The first point of contact was inside receivers and tight ends coach Travis Trickett, who would later turn the majority of his recruiting focus to south Florida. At the time, he was just spot recruiting guys in the area, and he pinpointed Spells as a special talent very early in the process.

So the sophomore film changed things, right? That's wrong. Much like West Virginia had before, the Mountaineers made their move off potential. They initiated contact with him about his receiver skills before he had ever really done anything at the varsity level. He had five catches for 112 yards when WVU first showed interest. When the Mountaineers offered as a cornerback in May, Spells had not accumulated a single defensive statistics for his high school team. West Virginia saw the potential, though, and made the offer. Spells made the move that fall, focusing on corner, with so many teams following WVU down that path with offers for defense.

The vast majority of the credit goes to..... Travis Trickett. He initiated the contact on behalf of West Virginia, and the secondary recruiter was... pretty much no one for a long time. When the Mountaineers first touched base, Xavier Dye had just left the program as receivers coach. Gerad Parker came in, but then there was a transition where Spells was actually going to be recruited as a defensive back. He might have still been a top priority for Trickett, but a converted receiver that was not in his area was down the list for former secondary coach Jahmile Addae on who he needed to talk to. Then Addae was gone, and ShaDon Brown came in. Brown did a nice job of getting acclimated with Spells and bonding with him, but he also had to deal with no in-person contact for the first few months on the job at WVU. As is the case with a Neal Brown staff, others got involved (graduate assistants, recruiting coordinators, staffers, etc.), but Trickett carried a heavier load than normal on this one because of the coaching changes, the position changes, and the pandemic.

And according to this article, Miami finished 3rd. Indiana was the runner up and Spells told them it was a tough decision.....

"Another reason I picked West Virginia is because I wanted to show people that it's OK to go to different places," Spells explained. "You don't have to go to Alabama and Georgia. You can go to West Virginia and make a name for yourself. I want to go somewhere and be different. "

"Another reason I picked West Virginia is because I wanted to show people that it's OK to go to different places," Spells explained. "You don't have to go to Alabama and Georgia. You can go to West Virginia and make a name for yourself. I want to go somewhere and be different. "
Cute of him to think he was actually wanted by Bama or UGA

Advertisement
smacked slap gif GIF

Advertisement
Back