UM offers 2022 WR Jacolby Spells

Last one I can remember is Ivan McCartney in 2010.

1623438542090.png

Advertisement
He's the most productive slot receiver returning in the country. Here are the guys ahead of him last year:

1. Marlon Williams (signed with Texans)
2. Jaelon Darden (4th Round)
3. Amari Rodgers (3rd round)
4. Elijah Moore (2nd round)
5. DeVonta Smith (1st round)
6. Kadarius Toney (1st round)

Harley was #7 and is the only one coming back. He's not an elite player and is probably a Day 3 pick at best. But he's been very productive for us and outperformed a bunch of more hyped prospects, all while blocking his *** off and setting a good example.

Ya like I said, raw numbers production imo means only so much, especially in today's tempo era

Fair answer though, your last sentenced summed it up well.

Last edited:
This would be a little surprising to me, but it's definitely possible and worth considering for a moment. The way I see it, it's very likely the staff is taking at least 3 CBs (maybe 4?). I think it's safe to say Rogers has a committable offer. Assuming 3 CBs, that leaves 2 more open spots.

It's possible the staff has Fegans (probably) and Graves (maybe?) over Spells, too. I keep reading on here that Spells is higher on UM's board than Little, and if that's really true then I wouldn't expect him to have a green light over Spells. Cam Miller is probably further down the board. Trevell Mullen is almost certainly a Plan B/C kid. I can't think of any other uncommitted CBs at that level that we've been seriously linked to, but they could still be trying to reel in some other big fish on the low.

Spells really might just be the 4th man outside looking in at 3 CB spots. Would love to have him in this class, but if Spells ends up elsewhere and we pull Rogers, Fegans, and Graves at CB, that would be an excellent haul. Either way, it already looks and feels like CB recruiting is a night & day difference this year under TRob/DVD than it has been in the last few years. Excited to see how this turns out.
I’d bet money Rogers, Graves, and Fegans are the top 3 at CB and there is a legit chance at all 3. Wouldn’t be shocked if Spells is 4 and they are trying to figure out whether he gets a green light or not. Feels like Rogers/Graves are headed to Miami so that would probably leave 1 more spot. Do they roll the dice on Fegans or green light Spells and call it a day?

Advertisement
Good lord yes, KH is bad bad bad on that pod. His perspective is almost always wrong, his comments are cringe, but he’s a former legend so Manny uses him as often as he can. Show is unlistenable.
I disagree, KH is not always right because he’s a diehard fan but he has a lot more insight than most of these sites and YT gurus who’s accolades top out with a high school participation trophy.

He literally knows these kids and their parents which is even more important. He literally advises several players and recruits -
but for some insane reason, so-called Miami fans love to **** on former players.

But you cats would rather give props these young bucks out here sucking off bama relentlessly like UM isn’t the blueprint.
We got 5 documentaries but these jerk offs are gushing over bama spring game, “the winner gets a steak dinner, that’s so cool.”
What kind of whack **** is that? Any college with a training table has steak every night? This **** is ridiculous!

I’d bet money Rogers, Graves, and Fegans are the top 3 at CB and there is a legit chance at all 3. Wouldn’t be shocked if Spells is 4 and they are trying to figure out whether he gets a green light or not. Feels like Rogers/Graves are headed to Miami so that would probably leave 1 more spot. Do they roll the dice on Fegans or green light Spells and call it a day?

I'm getting a similar read as you are. And your question is a great one. Personally, I am intrigued by Spells and would take his commitment. I could be wrong, but of the 4 Fegans seems to me like the least likely to commit to us. Besides, if Fegans wants in I'm good with making room for a 4th CB who is a top 100 player (we could lose 3 CBs after this season anyway).

Either way, this is a great dilemma to be in and the difference recruiting that position is palpable.

Im one of them.

Little might hve a better upside as a safety type
Yep, you’ve been clear. And you see kids and make your own views. No criticism of that at all, we need more folks with your depth of knowledge around here. But when little was the topic, tons of folks were saying we like spells a lot more. Now, it’s unclear where we prioritize him.

Advertisement
It's an interesting debate. Looking forward to seeing them live this year for a full comparison (neither competed in camps, although Spells ran and was fastest man at Under Armour).

Here are the junior clips so everyone can compare for themselves. Curious to hear more thoughts:

Spell’s highlight tape @ 1:36. Tells me everything I need to know. Instincts and speed kills.

If Aristide wants the striker position to be more of a nickel corner than a linebacker I would take Little there. That’s similar to what he does at heritage. On the boundary to me it’s no question Spells is better now and has more upside. When Heritage played MNW last year it was Spells on Brinson not Little

Advertisement
I don't get the Mike Harley love...I like the kid, and has had a decent career, for sure. Seems like a good kid. But we live in an offensive game today and someone has to catch passes, it's either him or retardo Mark Pope.

There is a Mike Harley on most teams right now.
Mike Harley is a dog and maybe just a college dog but he's not a physical freak, he had his struggles for a few years and while the weak would've transferred out or just basically quit on tbe team he kept fighting ans became one of the best wrs in the country. You dont have to like him but he absolutely deserves respect

If Fegans is a better talent than Spells, is it a wide enough gap to sacrifice the relationship with AH? I'm up here in Ohio so I have no clue if Spells would be higher on the board for that reason.

Advertisement
Mike Harley is a dog and maybe just a college dog but he's not a physical freak, he had his struggles for a few years and while the weak would've transferred out or just basically quit on tbe team he kept fighting ans became one of the best wrs in the country. You dont have to like him but he absolutely deserves respect

I like him and respect him...I just don't think he is one of the best WR in the country.

Advertisement
Back