UM names Dan Radakovich as AD; Radakovich, Frenk comment

They just finished in the mid-30s in the Sears Cup standings within the last year or so—which means they’re pretty solid across all sports.

Their men’s soccer is currently in the NCAA final 4; women’s made it to the ACC semis and to the ncaa tourney.

They just started up a women’s softball team a couple years ago and won the ACC and went to the tourney in their first full year.

Overall, their athletics are among the tops in the ACC.
This is my impression as well. For the most part, their fans don't really care about any of the other sports, and they certainly have no tradition in any of the other sports. While they are nothing to write home about, I'd say that the other sports like baseball and basketball are playing above their handicap for what Clemson athletics has been in its history before Rad. No data to back that up, just my impression. I think Rad is going to rely on support from elsewhere if and when the time comes for him to replace men's basketball and baseball coaches. The guy has been around the block long enough and at a high enough level to know how to find good advisors and see through the politics and bull****.

I'm thrilled, not worried.

Advertisement
Was more so referring to the big 3 sports that most people watch. (Baseball, basketball and football)
Understood. But an AD has broader concerns than just the big 3 sports. Even just focusing on those, as has been pointed out, 2 of their big 3 have been better than ours.

There’s no reason to downplay how significant Rad’s hire is and how much of an improvement it is over Blake James.

Understood. But an AD has broader concerns than just the big 3 sports. Even just focusing on those, as has been pointed out, 2 of their big 3 have been better than ours.

There’s no reason to downplay how significant Rad’s hire is and how much of an improvement it is over Blake James.
Oh I'm not downplaying it at all, I think he's a huge hire for us. Original question was how had Clemson's other sports performed under him. Just pointing out that they're nothing to write home about (minus football). Being better than what ours have been isn't a super difficult thing to bring so I can see why people are questioning what he brings. I don't share the same worries but I understand where they are coming from.

Advertisement
Epstein trying to steal some of that love lol. From all reports this guy was trying to sabotage the whole thing from the start. Then when he sees everyone celebrating he's trying to sneak back in the lime light. ***** that guy.
I think I have seen this before. When I was backpacking in India and the Himalayas in the late 70s, occasionally, I would take a train to the next city. In the remote villages, there would be tons of stray dogs around the station, who would bark incessantly at the approaching trains. Once the trains got within a hundred yards, they would run alongside the trains trying to take charge of the steel behemoths.

No matter what he is way way better than James. But we hired an agency and took x amount of time. I was hoping to see a difference in all sports. Hopefully we still will...

As much as I love football I just don't want to see football succeed. We need a new bball coach and staff and same with baseball.

****t....I don't even think we have a men's soccer program. We are in miami....breeds soccer players here.......we should have the top soccer school in America.

No matter what he is way way better than James. But we hired an agency and took x amount of time. I was hoping to see a difference in all sports. Hopefully we still will...

As much as I love football I just don't want to see football succeed. We need a new bball coach and staff and same with baseball.

****t....I don't even think we have a men's soccer program. We are in miami....breeds soccer players here.......we should have the top soccer school in America.
Hmm, you want an AD who can start up a successful new sport?

Kinda like how Clemson started a new women’s softball team 2 years ago, Rad went out and got a coach who’d had success at Stanford, and then Clemson’s softball team won the ACC in their second year and went onto the NCAA tourney?

Advertisement
it takes money to make money. Hopefully we see a return on our investments sooner than later. Hopefully we can right the ship.

Advertisement
whoa! This hire will have enormous ramifications for da U. As incredible as Mario’s hire was this hire will put a stadium for the canes. I have no doubt about that.

Gotta tell you I was pretty shocked Rad alluded to a stadium closer to campus.

Advertisement
Where he say that at ?
Screenshot_20211209-180615~2.png

Awesome! Now fire Larranga and hire Pitino to make basketball fun for the next 4 years.
….. Until we get on probation after a few of our players and recruits get caught in a hotel with hookers and cocaine. Can’t wait! Sign me up gahdamnit!

Advertisement
Back