UM Men's Basketball Team in-state recruiting

Funny thing is Damari is 1 of 3 players from the state of Florida currently on the ETSU roster, in which 2 are starters. That's 3 more than what we have at Miami.... LOL. This narrative of Florida not producing Division I basketball players needs to stop. People have got to stop living in the 20th century. Truth be told, our state produces as many or more Division I basketball players than any state in the country aside for California.

Advertisement
Funny thing is Damari is 1 of 3 players from the state of Florida currently on the ETSU roster, in which 2 are starters. That's 3 more than what we have at Miami.... LOL. This narrative of Florida not producing Division I basketball players needs to stop. People have got to stop living in the 20th century. Truth be told, our state produces as many or more Division I basketball players than any state in the country aside for California.
And yet we don't have a single player on the roster from Florida. We'd rather take a flier on a stretch 4 from New Zealand

In fairness, I don't think talent was the question. The question is how many of kids can contribute immediately at a high major school?
Damari is a great example. Yes, he is thriving at a mid major. I always thought he could contribute at a high major school with the benefit of a redshirt year.
The problem I have found with most high major coaches I have talked with, they are always swinging for the fences.
Meaning they spend more time looking for future pros and guys who can win them a National Championship instead of looking for the kid who will make their team better.
Most coaches don't know how to navigate that balance.

In fairness, I don't think talent was the question. The question is how many of kids can contribute immediately at a high major school?
Damari is a great example. Yes, he is thriving at a mid major. I always thought he could contribute at a high major school with the benefit of a redshirt year.
The problem I have found with most high major coaches I have talked with, they are always swinging for the fences.
Meaning they spend more time looking for future pros and guys who can win them a National Championship instead of looking for the kid who will make their team better.
So we pass on a local kid like Damari but go after guys like Sam and Miller instead? I wouldn't consider either of those recruits "swinging for the fences."

So we pass on a local kid like Damari but go after guys like Sam and Miller instead? I wouldn't consider either of those recruits "swinging for the fences."

Totally missed the point. I never said Sam and Rodney were swinging for the fences.
My point is kids like Damari get passed over because coaches are spending too much time chasing one and done kids instead of balancing their time doing both.

Advertisement
Totally missed the point. I never said Sam and Rodney were swinging for the fences.
My point is kids like Damari get passed over because coaches are spending too much time chasing one and done kids instead of balancing their time doing both.
I get that. And we should always devote some of our time to chasing the one and done's. But why should our plan B kids be a Sam instead of a Damari?

Where does Florida rank if you took away IMG and Montverde?

In no way shape or form is Miami in the position to be focused solely on swinging for the fences by chasing "1 and done" kids. We don't have the foundation or roster depth to do that. Miami's focus should be on getting the most talented players they can and just stack chips. We've currently got two, maybe three ACC caliber starters on our roster and maybe another 2-3 guys who could eventually become productive players in the ACC. That's not the kind of roster makeup you want to have if you're trying to contend in this conference. We're in no position to be as selective as we've been in recruiting. This idea of "swinging for the fences" is a big reason why we're in the predicament we're in right now. And now I'm hearing the staff is done with 2021 HS class and is turning their focus on the transfer market.

Advertisement
I get that. And we should always devote some of our time to chasing the one and done's. But why should our plan B kids be a Sam instead of a Damari?

That is the question I honestly don't have an answer too.
I can only guess that in-state kids get overevaluated while international players get under evaluated.

In no way shape or form is Miami in the position to be focused solely on swinging for the fences by chasing "1 and done" kids. We don't have the foundation or roster depth to do that. Miami's focus should be on getting the most talented players they can and just stack chips. We've currently got two, maybe three ACC caliber starters on our roster and maybe another 2-3 guys who could eventually become productive players in the ACC. That's not the kind of roster makeup you want to have if you're trying to contend in this conference. We're in no position to be as selective as we've been in recruiting. This idea of "swinging for the fences" is a big reason why we're in the predicament we're in right now. And now I'm hearing the staff is done with 2021 HS class and is turning their focus on the transfer market.

I agree with you. I don't agree with that philosophy but that is what I have been told. How can you be focused on the transfer market when there is all of 20 kids in the portal with very few bigs.
Again, there are still 2021 bigs available. It is an interesting approach by the staff.

Advertisement
Back