UM Legacy TJ Smith wins Rivals Gatorade MVP, hopes to hear from Canes soon

View as article
Advertisement
Yup...he isn’t even the best QB in the county. Nik Scalzo is.
Hard to compare this kid and Scalzo, two different types of QBs. Scalzo Dual-threat, TJ more of a Pro-Style Passer. Judging from film both have the ability to extend plays. Scalzo plays on the better team, compliments of Private School Recruiting. Tough 2017 season for TJ when you lose a 4 Star WR in Akeem Hayes to Chaminade. Will follow both QBs this season.

Camp stuff for QBs is how you wind up with Artie Picks. HS QBs need to produce big on the field.

Whenever I hear the litany of excuses like the players around him suck and he’s had too many coordinators my radar starts beeping. The great HS QBs raises up the guys around them.
I'm one for a no excuses policy. However, every great QB needs a supporting casts. Couldnt imagine having to learn 4 different offensive schemes in a season, a QB nightmare. Hats off to TJ for enduring that kind of attrition. Word on the street is this kid is considered one of the best QBs in SoFla, with just about every school public and private trying to lure him away from SBHS. BTW, as a sophmore he led a 1-9 team to a 6-3 record in 2016 with 2k yds passing and a 2nd team all-county selection. I would say that qualifies as raising the bar.

I'm one for a no excuses policy. However, every great QB needs a supporting casts. Couldnt imagine having to learn 4 different offensive schemes in a season, a QB nightmare. Hats off to TJ for enduring that kind of attrition. Word on the street is this kid is considered one of the best QBs in SoFla, with just about every school public and private trying to lure him away from SBHS. BTW, as a sophmore he led a 1-9 team to a 6-3 record in 2016 with 2k yds passing and a 2nd team all-county selection. I would say that qualifies as raising the bar.
Thanks for the info, Travis. I'm rooting for your son to do great things and have a great season. If he's good enough, then I hope we get him.

15 TD's, 10 interceptions? Numbers do not tell the entire story, but they do paint a vivid picture. Looking at his film, he does not seem to be at the same level as the other two qbs that we've offered.

Richt does not come across like he will give someone an offer just because his parents are alumni. It will be interesting to follow how this plays out.
4 OCs In one year. Safe to say that would make any QBs numbers suffer.

Advertisement
The highlights I saw made me think his receivers were great playmakers---- turning routine plays into TD's.

Camp stuff for QBs is how you wind up with Artie Picks. HS QBs need to produce big on the field.

Whenever I hear the litany of excuses like the players around him suck and he’s had too many coordinators my radar starts beeping. The great HS QBs raises up the guys around them.[/
not UM caliber at all

And why has he been to 4 schools in four years? Do all of these schools have 4 coordinators and bad receivers? Where are his offers if he is so good? I mean...not one college feels that he has the goods? I think that there is something behind the scenes that we just done know about this kid

Advertisement
Good luck to the young man. If he's at Paradise, he'll certainly show the coaches what he is capable of. It's likely the Richts have already found their guy in Johnson this year. But if not, then the door is open for a great local kid to come in late.

Unless he goes supernova his senior year... he’s not UM-caliber. Even if he did go supernova, he’d still be a project in college. Theres multiple reasons why he doesn’t have offers yet.

Advertisement
Back