UM is the TJ MAXX for NFL TEAMS...

BigDikCane

All-American
@umarcher I think started the TJ Maxx story, but **** these teams are stealing 1st and 2nd/3rd round talent for dirt cheap...

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/5/14/15638510/espn-stacy-coley-drafts-biggest-steals

A recent article ESPN Insider article said that former Miami Hurricane wide receiver is the biggest steal in the seventh round.

Fansided’s Minnesota Vikings partner site, The Viking Age was able to get a look at the article behind the paywall. The article quotes an unnamed source who has experience as a General Manager discussing Coley’s career potential.

The Vikings selected Coley with 219th overall pick in the second round. He should be able to challenge for a spot on a Vikings roster without a lot of experience or proven players at wide receiver.

The article discussed Coley’s potential and quoted the former NFL Executive:

“A longtime evaluator with experience as a GM said he thought there was a good chance Coley would become a starter in the NFL. Other voters weren’t as excited. As one of the dissenters pointed out, evaluations on receivers frequently vary more than for players at other positions.

‘I see him as your fourth or fifth guy, a special-teamer who is going to make your roster,” one of the evaluators said of Coley.’

Even that would be good value for a seventh-round wideout.”
We discussed Coley potential post draft earlier this month:

“Stacy Coley evolved as a Wide Receiver throughout his Miami career. Coley entered Miami viewed as a receiver with great speed and a good return man. He left the U in his Senior season as the team’s best possession receiver and most reliable receiver in the red zone.

Coley led the Hurricanes with career highs of 63 receptions and nine touchdowns this season. He also finished second on the team with a career-high of 754 yards and averaged 12.0 yards per reception.

Coley finished his collegiate career with 166 receptions for 2,218 yards for an average of 13.4 yards per reception and 20 touchdowns. He was a reliable return man his first two years in college. Coley finished his college career averaging 24.3 yards with one touchdown on kickoff returns and 13.0 yards per punt return.”
The Vikings 2016 first round pick wide receiver Laquan Treadwell struggled to get on the field last season. He finished 2016 with just one reception for 15 yards. That reception did not come until week nine.

Stefon Diggs emerged as the Vikings go-to receiver last season after being a fifth-round pick in 2015. He had 84 receptions for 903 yards and three touchdowns.

Adam Thielen who went undrafted in 2013, also emerged for the Vikings. Thielen had 60 receptions for 967 yards and five touchdowns in 2016.

Advertisement
Add in Jermaine Grace. From undrafted to likely to make the 53 man roster. And, if things go as I expect, he'll actually play in certain sub-packages. Perhaps even steal someone's job.

Last year was the final year of "bargin bin canes". Teams are gonna be paying the piper for our boys from this year forward because they are no longer going to be miss used, miss aligned, & under utilized. Still the beauty is even those guys that the last staff botched still found a way to rise. We just ******* produce & just as I'm proud of our national titles I put the way we produce in the NFL on the same level.

Coley had short work and went 3-67 in his first game, making veteran type catches. Vikings got a steal. Also, was watching the Bears/Broncos game and I was like, who's # 20 for the Broncos. Wouldn't u know it, it was J Rock. He's making that 53 man roster. Annnd he recovered a bouncing fumble and all I could think about was "why didn't u do this vs. ND??!!!" Lol. But the NFL is about to be littered w productive Canes all over again.

TJ max home of the ill fitting polo shirts....great comparison.........................

Advertisement
Add in Jermaine Grace. From undrafted to likely to make the 53 man roster. And, if things go as I expect, he'll actually play in certain sub-packages. Perhaps even steal someone's job.

Agreed, Lu. Before we knew what our defense was going to look like last year, I was most excited to see Grace. Feels obvious in retrospect, but I think he would have had a monster season under Diaz.

I think he figures out a way to make some of that money he lost in the draft.

Last edited:

Didn't mean to downvote Lu, 100% agree

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back