UM hopes to land in fast-rising S McMillon's top group tomorrow

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
While searching for their first safety prospect in the 2021 class, the Miami Hurricanes came across fast-rising Peters Township (PA) 3-star S Donovan McMillon a few weeks back and decided he had what it took to play for UM, offering him a scholarship.

“It’s definitely a super exciting feeling,” McMillon said of his UM offer. “I’m a big documentary guy, and I remember watching that 30-for-30 on the U and it gets you excited seeing how many amazing players came out of that team and out of that program. My dad, he was actually born in Miami and raised in Orlando, so it was a big deal when that came out. And my grandpa lives in Orlando right now too.”

It hasn’t just been the Hurricanes recently entering the race to land McMillon either.

McMillon dropped a top 15 list last month, but since then, has been hounded by new suitors looking to break into his recruitment: Tennessee, Stanford, LSU, Georgia, Oregon, Florida, Ole Miss, and Wisconsin are some of the other programs that have offered McMillon within the past month. While things have been hectic for McMillon lately, he is planning to reduce some of the attention by narrowing down his list again.

“I have a top 10 coming out tomorrow,” McMillon said. “I’m honestly not even done with it, I’m still considering all of my options and trying to find the best fit for myself and my family.

“No one is standing out really, it’s been everyone coming hard. Because I haven’t been able to go anywhere anyways, it’s everyone giving me their best shot, so it’s definitely an exciting time.”

Part of the reason for all the late interest? The 2019 season was McMillon’s first as a full-time starter, and he felt he was able to better develop his game as the year went along.

“I think I performed really well as a junior,” McMillon said. “It was actually my first season starting the entire season and we ended up making the state championship for the first time in school history and winning back-to-back conference championships, which before that we hadn’t won one since 1975. So I think me and my teammates really put on a show last year.”

It has been safeties coach Ephraim Banda and assistant Director of Recruiting DeMarcus Van Dyke that have headed up McMillon’s recruitment and are hoping to break into the Peters Township star’s top group tomorrow. While some schools see the 6-2 195 pound prospect growing into a linebacker or as a better fit for a hybrid role at the next level, Miami prefers McMillon to stay at safety.

“They said they would keep me in that safety role, which is big for me,” McMillon said. “That’s what I plan on playing in college and hopefully in my main goal of the NFL.”

In addition to loving his potential role in the UM defense, McMillon says the Miami area and living in Florida is something that attracts him to the program as well.

“Who wouldn’t love to ball out every day and then be able to enjoy that sun, enjoy that beach, and play some good football?” McMillon said. “I’ve always been a hot weather person, so I love the weather there, but really it’s about how they play great defense in games. I think they’re a defensive team that will fight you in a phone booth and beat you with speed, strength, and tactics.

“Also, it would be amazing since I’ve always lived so far away from my grandparents, so if I played down there, it’d be a great opportunity to get closer with them.”

Ultimately, what will it take to make the cut for McMillon?

“I’m looking for a school that will bring me in and make a ‘home away from home’ situation,” McMillon said. “It doesn’t matter to me how far I go, how close I go, I want to be able to be with great people, great coaches, and just be in a great environment that will help me to my main goal, which is getting a degree, graduating, and then hopefully making it to the NFL. A place that helps me, whenever football is over, to be able to have a great job, do what I love, maybe coach one day or do whatever comes to mind.”

On the field, McMillon has an NFL star who he tries to model his game after and he feels like his experience as a wrestler has helped him progress as a football player.

“I think I have that ‘Honey Badger’ mentality – Tyrann Mathieu has been my favorite player forever,” McMillon said. “I think the game is a bunch of one-on-one battles, and just like in wrestling, I strive to win every single one of those battles. I’m just trying to get the ball and make plays.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I wrestled in HS and, frankly, was a horrible tackler. But then again, I sucked at wrestling as well.
Just to change your mind a bit. Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp, and Tedy Bruschi were all wrestlers lol.

Obvious the staff knows they are staring at a strikeout across the board instate...

Kid looks good and I like that we are really pressing early to make sure we can chance down the stretch

Advertisement
Obvious the staff knows they are staring at a strikeout across the board instate...

Kid looks good and I like that we are really pressing early to make sure we can chance down the stretch
We knew around January we were gonna strike out so I’m glad they caught on.

Advertisement
I wrestled in HS and, frankly, was a horrible tackler. But then again, I sucked at wrestling as well.

I wrestled under coach Jim Husk hall of fame coach , his practices were the toughest I ever went through in any sport we even practiced after winning our match convincingly because he saw something that needed to address while it fresh , the crowd would leave and coach Husk would say this party isn't over now we start winning next weeks match NOW .....BACK ON THE MAT and critique ever darn move from memory OMG.

YES , WE do make great warriors in hand to hand combat in the PIT.

GOCANES

His offer list is getting better by the week. Miami, LSU, Stanford, Tennessee, UF, etc all came calling.

Donovan is cousins with Oscar winning director Barry Jenkins who played football with Torrie Cox at Miami Northwestern.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the sound of it this "striker" position must be the easiest to fill in all of football. Everyone seems to be a good fit at striker.
He is 6'2 193 lbs. Shows the physicality, speed, and size. He is a great striker prospect. He will probably come in to college at 6'2 200.

Advertisement
Back