UM has work to do with 2022 4-star S Lathan after Banda departure

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Gulliver Prep (FL) 4-star S Travious Lathan is one of the top prospects in South Florida for the 2022 cycle, so naturally he has drawn the attention of the local Miami Hurricanes. Although UM was previously high on his list, the staff continuity at Miami has given Lathan pause after safeties coach Ephraim Banda recently left to become the DC at Utah State.

“I talked to coach (Manny) Diaz at the beginning of the New Year, but coach Banda was my lead recruiter and he just left,” Lathan said. “Coach Banda was the main reason I was considering Miami, but I’m going to give them a chance when they get their new staff settled.”

Still, like he mentions, Lathan has also had conversations with UM head coach Manny Diaz in the past.

“We don’t really talk much about football, only that he loves my competitiveness. We mainly talk about how I’m doing, just life stuff,” Lathan said.

While the 6’2” 200 pound prospect waits to see how Miami’s staff shakes out and if he connects with his new lead recruiter, the Gulliver Prep star leaves UM off his current top list for now.

“My top group right now is Georgia, Penn State, Pitt, Oregon, Florida, and Nebraska,” Lathan said. “I’m planning to cut that down by the end of the month, and then make a decision by August.”

What does Lathan want to see from the Canes to put them back in his top group?

“I just want to see them to go after me hard like coach Banda did,” he said.

In the past, Lathan has seen programs such as Florida, Georgia, Miami, and Florida State, and he is currently trying to plan visits to Pitt, Penn State, and Oregon this spring when the NCAA dead period is tentatively scheduled to end in April.

“I could be willing to stay home for school, but I’m also willing to travel out of state if I feel it is the right fit,” Lathan said. “I’m looking for a competitive atmosphere, because I just want to get myself better at all times.”

As a junior in 2020, Lathan played both sides of the ball for Gulliver Prep, seeing time at safety and wide receiver. He recorded 20 tackles, a TFL, and 2 PBU’s on defense, while posting 14 catches for 239 yards and 2 TD’s on offense in 6 games for the 5-1 Raiders.

“The year started off slow, but it ended up being a big season with the time that we had.”

Advertisement
Gulliver Prep (FL) 4-star S Travious Lathan is one of the top prospects in South Florida for the 2022 cycle, so naturally he has drawn the attention of the local Miami Hurricanes. Although UM was previously high on his list, the staff continuity at Miami has given Lathan pause after safeties coach Ephraim Banda recently left to become the DC at Utah State.

“I talked to coach (Manny) Diaz at the beginning of the New Year, but coach Banda was my lead recruiter and he just left,” Lathan said. “Coach Banda was the main reason I was considering Miami, but I’m going to give them a chance when they get their new staff settled.”

Still, like he mentions, Lathan has had conversations with UM head coach Manny Diaz in the past.

“We don’t really talk much about football, only that he loves my competitiveness. We mainly talk about how I’m doing, just life stuff,” Lathan said.

While the 6’2” 200 pound prospect waits to see how Miami’s staff shakes out and if he connects with his new lead recruiter, the Gulliver Prep star leaves UM off his current top list for now.

“My top group right now is Georgia, Penn State, Pitt, Oregon, Florida, and Nebraska,” Lathan said. “I’m planning to cut that down by the end of the month, and then make a decision by August.”

What does Lathan want to see from the Canes to put them back in his top group?

“I just want to see them to go after me hard like coach Banda did,” he said.

In the past, Lathan has seen programs such as Florida, Georgia, Miami, and Florida State, and he is currently trying to plan visits to Pitt, Penn State, and Oregon this spring when the NCAA dead period is tentatively scheduled to end in April.

“I could be willing to stay home for school, but I’m also willing to travel out of state if I feel it is the right fit,” Lathan said. “I’m looking for a competitive atmosphere, because I just want to get myself better at all times.”

As a junior in 2020, Lathan played both sides of the ball for Gulliver Prep, seeing time at safety and wide receiver. He recorded 20 tackles, a TFL, and 2 PBU’s on defense, while posting 14 catches for 239 yards and 2 TD’s on offense in 6 games for the 5-1 Raiders.

“The year started off slow, but it ended up being a big season with the time that we had.”

He left us out but left Florida in? They just canned their Safeties Coach. I get that his lead recruiter is the UiF LB’s coach but did they hire a safeties coach? I know they hired McGiff to coach CBs. I saw talk of a guy named Ash for Safeties.

Advertisement
He left us out but left Florida in? They just canned their Safeties Coach. I get that his lead recruiter is the UiF LB’s coach but did they hire a safeties coach? I know they hired McGiff to coach CBs. I saw talk of a guy named Ash for Safeties.
So many kids are far too caught up in their recruiter as opposed to head coach or more importantly school. Head coaches leave every 3-5 years. Asst coaches leave every 1-2 years. It’s almost silly to base a school decision on an assistant coach.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Attachments

• 1574436767737.gif
    1574436767737.gif
    313.5 KB · Views: 18

South Florida kids downgrade Miami for doing certain things, while giving every other school on the planet a pass when they do the exact same things.

Life.

Advertisement
Alfonso Allen is the guy locally at Safety this year. Lyman from Palm Beach is number two and overall Kimari Wilson is that guy. This kid just wants attention as at best our 5th choice.
Been thinking of way to see it, but this

Advertisement
Back