UM getting a CEO

canefrank

Redshirt Freshman
Haven't seen this posted. The University of Miami is getting a new leader: a CEO. The idea came from the university's de facto chief executive, Julio Frenk, the president, who announced this month that he had tapped the CEO of the university's health system, Joseph J. Echevarria, to take on the new role: CEO of the broader university. The article in The Miami Herald goes on to say that all business units including athletics will report to Mr. Echevarria. Interesting news. Makes all departments accountable, I assume with their own P&L, responsible for each bringing something back to the larger entity where Frenk is still overall President (chairman). More of a top business hierarchy/perspective with education still being KEY, but understanding that the U has many other assets.

Advertisement
Haven't seen this posted. The University of Miami is getting a new leader: a CEO. The idea came from the university's de facto chief executive, Julio Frenk, the president, who announced this month that he had tapped the CEO of the university's health system, Joseph J. Echevarria, to take on the new role: CEO of the broader university. The article in The Miami Herald goes on to say that all business units including athletics will report to Mr. Echevarria. Interesting news. Makes all departments accountable, I assume with their own P&L, responsible for each bringing something back to the larger entity where Frenk is still overall President (chairman). More of a top business hierarchy/perspective with education still being KEY, but understanding that the U has many other assets.

But what if the next president of UM doesn't want to work with the CEO that Frenk hired? This is crazy, we should have hired a new President first, and then let him hire his own CEO. Plus, how will Echevarria be able to work with Alonzo Highsmith looking over his shoulder? Too many alphas...

Advertisement
Wasn’t Echevarria involved in bringing Mario back? If so, that can only be good.

Yes.

But so was Rudy Fernandez. AND Rudy Fernandez was instrumental in hiring Manny Diaz.

So even when some of these guys do good things, that doesn't mean they haven't made past mistakes. We just have to look at the big picture, and not fall in love with guys who do one good thing.

But Echevarria is a home run, no matter how you slice it.

Yes.

But so was Rudy Fernandez. AND Rudy Fernandez was instrumental in hiring Manny Diaz.

So even when some of these guys do good things, that doesn't mean they haven't made past mistakes. We just have to look at the big picture, and not fall in love with guys who do one good thing.

But Echevarria is a home run, no matter how you slice it.
Correct. I just meant that the new CEO is someone who cares about the athletic department which has to be better than someone who is indifferent to athletics as Frenk as accused of…before proving a lot of people wrong.

Although not common, universities have had Chief Administrative Officers (CAO) before. Interesting UM decided to elevate the title even more to a CEO.

Advertisement
But what if the next president of UM doesn't want to work with the CEO that Frenk hired? This is crazy, we should have hired a new President first, and then let him hire his own CEO. Plus, how will Echevarria be able to work with Alonzo Highsmith looking over his shoulder? Too many alphas...
And I know Echevarria is former Deloitte, but is he a good fund raiser??????

Frenk is definitely one of the few bright spots but IMO the leaders of academia are some of the worst the world has to offer. Hopefully this starts a trend

Correct. I just meant that the new CEO is someone who cares about the athletic department which has to be better than someone who is indifferent to athletics as Frenk as accused of…before proving a lot of people wrong.

Got it. Yes, given the role he played with searching for/hiring Mario and Dan, I would think it bodes well for the future.

He can't possibly be a worse fund-raiser than Beta Blake was...

I'm sure if you ask Echevarria what he would spend the money on if he was given a blank check, he won't come back with "new locker rooms and a couple of analysts".

Advertisement
He can't possibly be a worse fund-raiser than Beta Blake was...

I'm sure if you ask Echevarria what he would spend the money on if he was given a blank check, he won't come back with "new locker rooms and a couple of analysts".

Hahaha I think he runs laps around Blake. Just me being facetious. I still can't believe how well he handled everything to get us from firing Blake and Manny to hiring Rad and Mario

Hahaha I think he runs laps around Blake. Just me being facetious. I still can't believe how well he handled everything to get us from firing Blake and Manny to hiring Rad and Mario

Agreed. In case it wasn't clear from my trademarked use of the ellipsis (...), my whole post about Echevarria working with a new UM president was a sarcastic mockery of the hundreds of "org chart/order of hiring people" posts that were made during the AD/HC searches...

That's usually the job of the president. University president like other corporate CEOs are in essence chief marketing officers. The face of the organization. This new role is essentially COO.

Advertisement
Heard great things about Eehevarria as a leader. I think the U has evolved as a business that a professional CEO should indeed oversee all its business units. Still with a University President to oversee it. I makes sense.

Advertisement
Back