UM DT commit Collins speaks on Rivals camp and TNM

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2021 Miami DT commit Savion Collins competed out at the Rivals 3-Stripe Miami camp 2 weeks back and turned in a top-notch outing, just missing out on the DL MVP honors.

“I feel like I did good,” Collins said. “I put everything I had on the field, so if I didn’t win MVP, it’s okay.”

In fact, it was his Hurricanes' classmate in Donell Harris that won the DL MVP on the day, and Collins said it was well deserved.

“Donell’s the most experienced player I know in my class and he’s getting better, so we’ll let him have it,” Collins said.

While many recruits come out to camps with the main goal of getting exposure, for Collins, camps are about getting better and working on similar concepts in new ways.

“The stunts we did were new to me,” Collins said. “We do stunts at my school obviously, but how they set it up, that was different. Besides that, it was pretty straightforward.”

The event took on a little more buzz when Miami head coach Manny Diaz showed up about an hour into the proceedings. Diaz was in the stands to watch his son play, and although he couldn’t do any recruiting due to NCAA rules, had a roster in hand and was intently evaluating players.

“I saw coach Diaz was out there but he couldn’t talk to us,” Collins said. “I just gave him a nod. I’m still solid in my commitment.”

Obviously, a lot has changed since Collins gave his commitment to Mark Richt back in September. What has he seen from “The New Miami” and new head coach Manny Diaz that makes him comfortable keeping his commitment?

“The vibe. I went for underclassman day,” Collins said. “The coaching staff is great to be honest, I could see them going far.”

On the trip, Collins felt that there wasn’t much new to learn about Miami, it was just about getting to know the coaching staff better. The Southwest star felt there was a noticeable change in the weight room, though.

“We didn’t do too much different. They got our height-weight, we just went around looking at the weight room, all that stuff,” Collins said. “Their technique in the weight room though, that’s tough. It makes me feel like I’m squatting wrong!”

As of now, Collins has other Power 5 offers from Florida, NC State, and UVA. While Collins will make other visits, he said they will only be school trips with coaches and teammates. Aside from that, Collins is spending his spring improving his game.

“I’ve just been working, eating, getting faster. I’m doing shotputs, so I gained a lot of weight. They said I weighed 287 today, the fastest time I had was 4.9. My goal is to get down to a 4.7.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Have to give this kid BIG time credit.... He camped at UM a few years back when Laurence Seymore earned a scholly as a 8th grader going into Central (was working out with the team). Seymore dominated EVERYONE at the camp including Collins. Searles matched them up since they were the two youngest and biggest kids there and it wasn't fair at all.. Collins looked like he had two left feet, was super uncoordinated, had an awful stance, etc... So to see him improve this much in such a short amount of time is testament to him and his coaches. Happy for the kid

I hope the new DL coach can teach, because Simpson could teach his *** off and loved it. Part of me thinks new guy is a place holder for Patrick or someone else whose contract comes up next year. Diaz is a sharp fella and those types of moves are not outta question. My $0.02.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Just a young growing BEAST ,how about that last clip of him running down field in hot pursuit not giving up till whistle blows and makes tackle 40 yards down field , any coach who sees a DL dude like that OMG running down RB , OH YEAH WE CAN WORK WITH THAT.

This is a key mindset on D , never stop pounding till whistle blows.

GOCANES

Interesting comment about our weight room. Coach Feeley seems to be a gem of a hire at strength coach.
-I saw a pic yesterday on twitter but Jarren Williams has REALLY reshaped his body. Looks like Feeley has been a good hire. I didn’t know anything about Feeley before we hired him but whatever he’s doing with the players seem to be working

-We got to keep Collins committed man, he’s an elite athlete on the dline period

Last edited:
Advertisement
I hope the new DL coach can teach, because Simpson could teach his *** off and loved it. Part of me thinks new guy is a place holder for Patrick or someone else whose contract comes up next year. Diaz is a sharp fella and those types of moves are not outta question. My $0.02.

Go Canes!
Ding ding ding!!!!!! Johnny, we have a winner! Give that man a prize!

Advertisement
-I saw a pic yesterday on twitter but Jarren Williams has REALLY reshaped his body. Looks like Feeley has been a good hire. I didn’t know anything about Feeley before we hired him but whatever he’s doing with the players seem to be working

-We got to keep Collins committed man, he’s an elite athlete on the dline period

I see where you were going but those pictures were like a couple weeks apart. The “fat” picture was just a bad angle guys.

Yet, Feely is doing his thing with the crew.

Then bring him home if he wants. The more Canes the merrier.
Like @Samson Doyo said, the hiring of Todd Stroud was a very good and a very convenient stop gap type of hire. Personally I think that when Simpson was contacted by the Falcons, there wasn't any time to go out and get the type of DL coach hire that Manny would have wanted ideally. Remember that Stroud was already on our payroll but in a support staff role. When Simpson left Manny made the best move he could make and tabbed Stroud as the DL coach. Stroud has a ton of experience and in addition to having coached DL before, Stroud has also been a strength coach, a DC and a HC.

I have to think that Manny will be keeping a close eye on Stroud this season with the other eye squarely on Kevin Patrick. In a perfect world Stroud gets us through this season nicely then goes back to support staff in 2020 when Manny hires Patrick. Obviously this is conjecture on my part as there are a myriad of possible scenarios that could take place. Maybe Stroud does a fantastic job. Maybe we do hire another DL coach next offseason but its someone else. There are many excellent position coaches out there that would jump at the chance to coach the DL at UM especially under Diaz and Baker. We will see.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back