UM commit Quentez Johnson's Coach Speaks Out

Advertisement
There is mention that he said Miami was his dream school so he committed. Kiss of death. I'll post later when I get back to my computer.

No one knows better what UM landed with the recent commitment of Ellenwood (Ga.) Cedar Grove High School DT Quentez Johnson than his coach, Jermaine Smith.

-Says "They're getting back to dominating up front and he's going to be one of those guys that dominates," "He will command double teams. He'll be a great 1 technique or 0 nose.

-Says "He does a great job with leverage, using his hands well. He's very competitive, has great size."

-Smith says Johnson has tested at 380 pounds in the bench and over 500 in the squat.

-Says Johnson was double-teamed in games last season "80 percent of the time."

-Says "Miami coaches said they like his aggressiveness, leverage, his ability to take on doubles,"

-Says he wasn't surprised when Johnson committed to Miami because "He told me it was his dream school, that when he was younger he liked Miami."

-Smith urged him to go ahead and commit - "I said `Why wait?'" Smith said.

-At the same time, Smith also says he's encouraged Johnson to take other visits, and that his star player will do that.

-Says "He'll talk to other coaches, take a couple of visits - I tell my players that unless something dramatic happens, though, stick with where you commit,"

-Asked if he can make a comparison in Johnson's playing style to a college or pro player, Says "He's in the mode of somebody if it was Miami he'd be like Russell Maryland. He's strong, low center of gravity, and he knows how to use his hands."

-Says Johnson is on pace to be qualified after a rough ninth grade. He now has over a 2.5 GPA.

-Says "He's a real smart kid," "He picked it up after ninth grade when we told him if you don't get your grades you can't do sports."

-Johnson currently lists over 20 scholarship offers.

Advertisement
I don't think the coach did anything wrong, it looks like he's just looking out for is best interest. He told him to commit if that what he really wanted to do but to take other visits to make sure he made the right decision. All I know is this kid could be the next monster DT to walk through the U so we need to hold onto him!

Advertisement
Wait......... so there was this controversy that he was a "very soft commit" from that article? Wow

Don't think the guy, Michael Carvell ‏(@RecruitingAJC), wasn't referencing this article. His tweet seemed as if the coach said that directly to him...

Michael Carvell ‏@RecruitingAJC 3h

Commitment of DL Quentez Johnson to Miami was described by his HS coach as "very, very soft"

Edit in bold...

Last edited:
Wait......... so there was this controversy that he was a "very soft commit" from that article? Wow

Don't think the guy, Michael Carvell ‏(@RecruitingAJC), was referencing this article. His tweet seemed as if the coach said that directly to him...

Commitment of DL Quentez Johnson to Miami was described by his HS coach as "very, very soft"

or maybe it's still more about nothing. none of us know but from the interview it seemed like he's looking out for the kids best interest so who knows what the real opinion is

Advertisement
you told him to commit but you want him to take visits??? dude just say you wanted him to save a spot
The most important thing the coached said was stick to your commitment unless something dramatic happens.

It just seems like he wants kids to take free trips and enjoy themselves if they've busted their asses and became great players and have the opportunity to see a great college and new city but stay honest with your commitment to the school of your choice

Don't think the guy, Michael Carvell ‏(@RecruitingAJC), was referencing this article. His tweet seemed as if the coach said that directly to him...

or maybe it's still more about nothing. none of us know but from the interview it seemed like he's looking out for the kids best interest so who knows what the real opinion is

That's what I think. I'm always nervous about early commits from SEC territory, though. Let's keep our fingers crossed. I think this kid might be bigger and stronger than Russ Maryland though. I don't think this coach understands Russ' game, as I remember it. Russ was quick and I think a penetrator. I don't know if he was really a nose tackle type in college, although it's irrelevant since we played a 4-3. I don't know about Russ later in the NFL. Maybe some teams used him later on as a nose. He might have gotten bigger. Russ was fat when he came to UM, but he was not really a "big" DT after he lost weight at UM. Russ was probably flexible and able to get low and get leverage, but it seemed he was a penetrator, not a nose tackle.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back