UM commit Good on Paradise: "I have something to prove"

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
One of the more intriguing stories of Paradise Camp next week will be the debut of Miami commit and Lake Brantley (FL) 3-star ATH Damarius Good at cornerback. With little to no tape at the position, Good feels the need to show doubters that he has the skills to make a lasting impact as a cover man.

“I have something to prove,” Good said. “I want to show people that I can actually play corner, because people haven’t really seen me play. I’m ready. I just want to compete and hang out with the other commits.”

The 6’0” 183 pound athlete has almost no experience at the position, but does have considerable physical tools and has spent his summer working on the nuances of corner, reporting he’s confident in his results so far.

“Yes sir, I’ve been working with my coach,” Good said. “My technique is coming along pretty good. I’m confident in it for when I go to college. I’m working on my footwork and fixing my back pedal. I’m improving. Sometimes we might do 1-on-1’s, and I’ll work on my press.”

For some recruits, a big draw to Paradise Camp is the swarms of Miami Hurricanes' greats that come to the event to coach, offer words of wisdom, or just hangout with the players.

“I also want to meet the old players that used to go to Miami,” Good said on Paradise. “I heard Ed Reed and Ray Lewis maybe might be there.”

Does he have a favorite Hurricane legend in particular he’d like to meet?

“Not really. I like all of them.”

Paradise Camp also brings Good the opportunity to work with his future position coach in Mike Rumph. So far, Good loves what the UM cornerbacks coach brings to the table as a teacher and is excited to continue to build their relationship.

“He’s just a cool guy. He’s a coach I can see myself being able to work with, he’s understanding, I like him a lot,” Good said on Rumph. “When I first met him, I knew he would be a good coach, there was just something about him that was special.”

When asked who he’s most interested in competing against, the Lake Brantley standout named a certain 5-star receiver currently committed to the Georgia Bulldogs and Good said he wouldn’t shy away from recruiting him to Miami.

“I think I read an article saying Jadon Haselwood was going to be there,” Good said. “I want to compete against him. If he switched his commitment to Miami, that’d be amazing.”

Just before the dead period at the end of last month, Good made his second trip to UM’s campus for “Miami Nights”, an invite-only event exclusively for Miami commits and top targets. It was Good’s first time meeting anyone from his class and he has begun to form relationships with a few members of Surge19.

“It was good, we got along,” Good said on meeting the other commits. “I met Te'Cory Couch, Marcus Crowley, and Keontra Smith. We’ve been keeping in touch a little.”

Miami’s 2019 class has grown considerably in recent months and the group is really beginning to take shape. Good sees big things in the future for Surge19 and especially likes how versatile his classmates are.

“I’ve been following who’s been committing on Twitter,” Good said. “There’s some account that posts all our pictures together, like the people that committed, Hurricane Warrior. I’ve watched some of our guys’ highlights before. We’re all great athletes and I feel we offer a lot more than just defense or offense, can play different positons, special teams and things like that.”

As a two-sport star with plenty of speed to burn, Good will also be competing in track for his upcoming senior season and anticipates topping his personal best times.

“I’m going to be doing track,” Good said. “I’m trying to beat my old time, 10.6 in the 100 meter.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
The fact that he wants to go against the best receiver in the country and prove himself tells a lot about his character and makeup. Jit aint scared and he aint coming to ride the pine. I knew he was fast but not 10.6 fast. Kid will make Rumph look like a genius for taking him.

Hope he can "WALK IT LIKE HE TALK IT"..... At paradise camp if he gets embarrassed, CMR & Company will stop recruiting him... Wish the best for this kid

Advertisement
Hope the board tempers their expectations and don't expect buddy to all of a sudden look like a 5* stud at the camp just because he talks a good game in interviews.

Hes still learning the position and will win some reps, lose some and look horrible in others esp if he goes up against Hazelwood who has been making every CB he goes up against look silly all summer... I am more interested to see if he is all of 6'0 190 like they say and would love to see him flash that speed too. Rumph can teach him the rest when he gets here.

I could care less what he does in shorts at paradise camp.

I'm eager to see him perform in pads knocking kids heads off this season. So he can calm some doubters *cough* Brock down lol.

I see the potential the staff sees can't wait until he puts it all together he will be a fast athletic physical beast.

Advertisement
Hope the board tempers their expectations and don't expect buddy to all of a sudden look like a 5* stud at the camp just because he talks a good game in interviews.

Hes still learning the position and will win some reps, lose some and look horrible in others esp if he goes up against Hazelwood who has been making every CB he goes up against look silly all summer... I am more interested to see if he is all of 6'0 190 like they say and would love to see him flash that speed too. Rumph can teach him the rest when he gets here.

In the highlight above you can see the physicality he's going to bring. If you the spring game after the highlight you'll see the speed.

In the highlight above you can see the physicality he's going to bring. If you the spring game after the highlight you'll see the speed.

Yeeeeeeah..but I want to see how it translates when we are comparing apples to apples, athlete wise. Hes gonna see better comp next Saturday then what hes use to going up against on a daily/weekly basis.

Remember, Gilbert Frierson was a good looking athlete too until Jerry Jeudy had him looking silly at PCamp 2 years ago.

Yeeeeeeah..but I want to see how it translates when we are comparing apples to apples, athlete wise. Hes gonna see better comp next Saturday then what hes use to going up against on a daily/weekly basis.

Remember, Gilbert Frierson was a good looking athlete too until Jerry Jeudy had him looking silly at PCamp 2 years ago.

Ya Frierson sucks. Makes sense.

FACEPALM

Advertisement

Looking at that list Haselwood and maybe Britt is the main competition. It's not like he's from Rhode island. Orlando area has good competition too lol. Only thing he need to do is adjust to his new position. Which I don't think he'll have a problem doing since he played there his sophomore year. I'm just happy he has a chip on his shoulder ready to compete.

Edit : I see the updated paradise WR list buddy is gonna have his work cut out for him lol best of luck to you kids 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Interesting that he refers to the post by hurricane warrior right here on Canesinsight.com Another example that recruits, families and influencers of recruits do visit these pages! We should help recruiting with positive post like the one by hurricane warrior and temper/manage our "concerns" in our posts!

Advertisement
Back