UM commit Anaele visits for Underclassman Day, plans other trips

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 Doral Academy 4-star DE Samuel Anaele is considered one of the top players in the country in his class and was recently ranked in the newest 247Sports Top247, checking in at #171 overall nationally. As one of the top talents in the Sunshine State, Anaele has been a Miami commit since January, pulling the trigger after his sophomore season on the field. He talked about what made him comfortable enough to settle on the Canes so early.

“The system in place was right for me, and like I've always said, the academics puts it on par with the best of the best,” Anaele said of UM.

It seems the coaches agree that Anaele will be a perfect fit at Miami. It certainly doesn’t hurt when you’re 6’4” 245 before your junior season and can move like a linebacker.

“They basically told me that the system in place was right for me and if I kept grinding hard it would really go a long way to prepare me for the next level,” Anaele said of UM’s coaching staff.

So, what will Anaele bring to the Miami defense as player?

“I see myself as a defensive end that likes to play both run and pass plays,” Anaele said. “I’m open to how the coaches want to play me. All that matters is the team, and me getting better at wherever the coaches want me at.”

Anaele’s most recent visit to Coral Gables came two weeks back for Underclassman Day and he joined over 50 prospects on campus to watch practice and further his relationship with the coaching staff.

“It was educational as well as fun, learned a lot about the game from the coaches and the academics to the personnel on the ground,” Anaele said. “I also learned about the cool app that is designed for student athletes, so as to make our transition in college smooth.”

How is Anaele’s relationship with the current players on the team?

“I don’t know anyone really, but I really look up to them as great players and it would be an honor to share the field with them,” Anaele said.

The Canes had a huge season in Mark Richt’s second year at the helm, winning the Coastal Division for the first time and making the trip to Charlotte for the ACC Championship. To Anaele, it was just confirmation of what he already knew, that something special is happening in Coral Gables.

“It was evident that something good was happening to the program and it showed on the field,” Anaele said of UM’s 2017 season. “So, why wouldn't I want to be part of something good?”

When asked to describe the level of his Miami commitment, Anaele had this to say: “Solid.”

That doesn’t mean Anaele won’t explore his options to make sure he’s made the right choice, though.

“I will still make other visits,” said Anaele. “None in the works for now, but as time goes by I plan to visit some schools.”

For now though, Anaele will focus on improving his game as a junior at Doral Academy after transferring in from Miami Norland. And his message to Canes fans out there?

“Something big will happen this year for us, Canes fans. Let’s go out and support the Canes like we did last year and make this season even better.”

Advertisement
“I don’t know anyone really, but I really look up to them as great players and it would be an honor to share the field with them,” Anaele said.

This should not be happening.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This kid has been committed forever. He's a great player but I'm slightly worried about his commitment level. Hopefully after these visits, he shuts it down and is all in with us.

I don't feel confident about him sticking, not that it means anything, I hope he does tho

Hope he sticks... anyone know why Doral Academy had a mass exodus last year?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back