UM announces Travis Williams as inside LB coach; Diaz comments

View as article
Advertisement
Great recruiter and coach. Manny has really upgraded his defensive staph. Let’s see if he can land a DC and move Patke back to an analyst
I don't expect a DC hire this year and perhaps not in Manny's tenure. Manny is committed to his system. He doesn't want to hire a DC to run a different type of system and any DC worth his salt isn't coming to Miami to have Manny call plays or run a defense that isn't there's.

What I expect is for TRob and TWill to be named Co-DCs this year or next. This way Manny can keep running his system and turn over play calling to TRob and TWill when he thinks they're ready.

I'm not saying I agree with it. I just think this is what's going to happen.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Havent really looked this guy up, anybody can point to his resume or say what his track record is?I know his name has been hot here last couple weeks but never heard of buddy, just want to get an idea.. TIA
He can develop LBs. Tre Williams was second team all SEC in 2017, Deshaun Davis was first team all SEC in 2018, and KJ Britt was first team all SEC in 2019. Britt was preseason first team in 2020 but went down after two games. Zakoby McClain ended up the leading tackler in the SEC this year after Britt went down.

Let’s get to work man.

Great off season thus far. We should see a nice spike in recruiting & aggressiveness on field. If we get Muschamp, we’ll be Auburn circa 2015! Lol.
Hold up. We’re also still going after Muschamp? Patke back to Anolis?

Advertisement
He can develop LBs. Tre Williams was second team all SEC in 2017, Deshaun Davis was first team all SEC in 2018, and KJ Britt was first team all SEC in 2019. Britt was preseason first team in 2020 but went down after two games. Zakoby McClain ended up the leading tackler in the SEC this year after Britt went down.
Hate to be "that guy" but its **** impressive for him to have developed so many first team All SEC Lbs in that conference where you are going up against UF, LSU and Bama, etc for only 3 spots every year. He definitely has my attention based off that alone.

Advertisement
This is a big boy coaching staff. At the very least Miami should be able to recruit with the best. Let's see the continued improvement on the field now.
Agreed, the losses have been dual issues 1. Coaching (X’s & O’s) and 1a. Quality depth - Recruiting (Jimmy and Joe’s). These hiring’s at the very least will address both and then we can ultimately see development.

Advertisement
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – Travis Williams, who spent the past five seasons as linebackers coach at Auburn, will join the Miami Hurricanes staff as inside linebackers coach, head coach Manny Diaz announced Monday. Williams’ hire is pending completion of a standard University background check.

“We are thrilled to welcome Travis and his family to Miami,” Diaz said. “He has had tremendous success both playing and coaching the linebacker position and I’m excited about the knowledge and passion he will bring to our linebackers group.”

Williams was promoted to linebackers coach at Auburn, his alma mater, prior to the 2016 season after holding various roles on the Tigers’ football support staff.

This past season Auburn linebacker Zakoby McClain ranked first in the SEC with 113 tackles, while fellow linebacker Owen Pappoe posted 93 stops, ranking eighth in the conference. In 2019, Auburn’s defense ranked eighth nationally in both red zone and third-down defense, allowing only 19.5 points per game against a schedule that featured six opponents who won 11 games.

The 2018 Auburn defense ranked 14th nationally in scoring defense (19.2) and allowed only nine rushing touchdowns. The Tigers ranked in the top 20 nationally in sacks (38) and TFL (96) and were ninth nationally with three interception returns for touchdowns. Top tackler Deshaun Davis, a first team all-SEC honoree, was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals and Darrell Williams signed with the New Orleans Saints.

In 2017, SEC West champion Auburn ranked 14th in total defense and 12th in scoring defense, allowing just 4.67 yards per play, eighth best nationally. Senior linebacker Tre’ Williams earned second team all-SEC honors.

In 2016, the Tigers ranked seventh nationally in scoring defense, 11th in red zone defense and 28th in total defense, an improvement of 43 spots over the previous season, and held eight consecutive opponents without a rushing TD, the longest season streak at Auburn since 1957.

Williams signed with Auburn in 2001, redshirted his first season and then lettered the next four, earning All-SEC honors in 2004 and 2005. He led Auburn in tackles (80) during the 2004 undefeated season; he was second in tackles in 2005 (68) and third in 2003 (67). He won the Pat Dye Leadership Award on defense in 2004 and 2005.

Williams played for the NFL’s Atlanta Falcons during the 2006 and 2007 seasons, before beginning his coaching career at his high school alma mater, Spring Valley (S.C.) High School, as a volunteer assistant.

Williams returned to Auburn in 2009 as a defensive graduate assistant, and was part of Auburn’s 2010 national championship season. After coaching stops at Northern Iowa and Creekside (Ga.) High School, Williams came back to Auburn in 2014 as a defensive analyst. He served as an on-field coach on defense in preparations for Auburn’s 2015 Outback Bowl and 2015 Birmingham Bowl appearances.

Williams earned his bachelor’s degree in criminology and criminal justice from Auburn in 2005, and received a master’s degree in adult education from Auburn in 2011.

A native of Columbia, S.C., Williams and his wife Jeanine, an Auburn graduate, have three daughters: Tru, Reign and Brave.
Anything less than a Top 15 recruiting class is unacceptable moving forward

Advertisement
Back