UM announces Aristide as OLB coach, Patke shifted to ILB coach; Diaz comments

Am I the only one who is annoyed by the inconsistency in our linebacker/striker titles?

On the roster, there are no inside or outside linebackers listed, just linebackers (and strikers). But the coaches are inside linebacker and outside linebackers coaches (no strikers).

Advertisement
You must love Slater. The return game back in the day was unreal. You could have an extended convo about Miami and FSU returners. Williams, Sawyer, Hester, Moss. I think McCorvey was back there, Deion. Sean McDonough had a call with Moss against Syracuse where he was incredulous about how fast Moss was running. I talked to Sean about it and he basically said, “Macca, I didn’t think a human could run that fast. Then Hester showed up!

Now we have... The Flag

The Pats and Ravens special teams are as good as it gets. In that Super Bowl against the Falcons, we legit won because of how good gostkowski executed the kickoff....he just kept pinning them in the 2nd half. Then agaisnt the Rams, Ryan Allen did the same thing on the punt.

We've been spoiled at Miami, year after year we just had dudes who could get to the house. Honestly, on the college level Miami probably had the biggest impact on special teams. If you go back and watch all of those highlights the majority of the punts these guys were catching were absolute bombs in terms of distance, but had no angle or hangtime. It allowed guys like Hester to get into fifth gear by the time a defender was near them.

Just by looking at this highlight film, almost every punt return, the returner had about 10 yards of space to accelerate.

Headley legit credited Patke for his improvement this year......? You don't break the all time net punt average by just having a great punter. It is a combination of a great punter, disciplined coverage units, and sound X and 0s.

We legit had 3 blocked field goals this year. What more do you want?

The days of Devin Hester are gone. There are not dudes reutrning TDs every game out there. Yes, we had problems securing the ball on punt return, but to say our special teams were awful because of that one thing....come back to reality. Good luck finding a 18-22 year old that can make sound split second judgements on a punt...looks a lot easier from your couch than it is in real life.
Our kick/punt return and coverage units were all ranked average to well below average in the FBS last season. So it's not just one thing. It's more or less everything minus 3-4 guys (kicker, punter, long snapper, and Bolden for 1 game).

And, yes, we had at least 10 muffed punts last season, which was especially awful.

Our kick/punt return and coverage units were all ranked average to well below average in the FBS last season. So it's not just one thing. It's more or less everything minus 3-4 guys (kicker, punter, long snapper, and Bolden for 1 game).

And, yes, we had at least 10 muffed punts last season, which was especially awful.

Patke for sure is not a god send, but I don't understand people calling for his head.

Our coverage units improved from 2019 to 2020 and will continue to improve as the roster gets deeper. Back in the day our units were so strong because we had five stars and four stars freshmen filling the ranks with senior leaders like ED Reed contributing on them.

The muffed punts are inexecuable, but in 2019 we ranked third in the country in punt return average so hopefully one of these guys can figure it out.

Advertisement
I’m curious to see if we can recruit LBs with a LB coach who never coached LBs. Who has he put in the NFL? Why would Billy Bob come be coached by him with 10 other schools having coaches with history of putting cats in the league? Come to think of it, we now have first time LB, CB, and Striker coaches. Not saying it won’t be good but it is concerning.

Sounds like a bright guy. Purdue is a good school, he graduated with a real major and working consulting at Deloitte is no joke. Honestly a little surprised he's in football right now as that career would probably earn him more over a lifetime (although he's probably making more from us now than he would in a consulting role at probably a Jr VP level).
As a dude who works for a Fortune 400 company and grinds every day, there is a whole lot more to life than $$.

Not trolling but my real question is who's job is it to recruit ILB? If it's Patke we won't be getting anyone....I'm sure that's Arts job....maybe?

Advertisement
JESUS F@#CKING CHRIST with this absurd notion of giving Patke credit for Borregales and Hedley's ability to kick. He's not some kicking guru. He probably did literally not one single thing to help them accomplish what they did.

How about the special teams that allowed Louisville to convert an onside kick against us while we just sat there? Or the unit that allowed GT to score on a fake punt?

SPECIAL TEAMS IS NOT JUST KICKING
Facts

Sounds like a bright guy. Purdue is a good school, he graduated with a real major and working consulting at Deloitte is no joke. Honestly a little surprised he's in football right now as that career would probably earn him more over a lifetime (although he's probably making more from us now than he would in a consulting role at probably a Jr VP level).
Oh **** he worked at Deloitte? Bright guy indeed ****.

Not trolling but my real question is who's job is it to recruit ILB? If it's Patke we won't be getting anyone....I'm sure that's Arts job....maybe?
I think I saw LCE say that Aristide recruited Jaden Alexis (WR) and Amari Daniels (RB) to aTm so it’s not a stretch that he’s gonna handle recruiting all LB’s. No way his only responsibility is to recruit strikers. I know they also give these guys areas to cover as well. At aTm he had SoFlo, which is why he was the one on Alexis and Daniels so I think he could be recruiting a variety of positions. I’m sure someone will clarify it all. lol

As a dude who works for a Fortune 400 company and grinds every day, there is a whole lot more to life than $$.
I agree but money also helps you obtain that whole lot more too
It’s about balance and priorities
For example I really don’t like watching my kids so I rather work more make more money and hire a nanny

Advertisement
Am I the only one who is annoyed by the inconsistency in our linebacker/striker titles?

On the roster, there are no inside or outside linebackers listed, just linebackers (and strikers). But the coaches are inside linebacker and outside linebackers coaches (no strikers).
Yes. Y’all make to big of deals out of names of positions. It’s not that hard.

I’m curious to see if we can recruit LBs with a LB coach who never coached LBs. Who has he put in the NFL? Why would Billy Bob come be coached by him with 10 other schools having coaches with history of putting cats in the league? Come to think of it, we now have first time LB, CB, and Striker coaches. Not saying it won’t be good but it is concerning.
Patke actually had coached LBs before. He played LB in college. He coached LBs at incarnate world. He worked with diaz and the LBs at la tech and miss st. And before he got promoted to on field coach here, his first 2 years he was working with diaz and the LBs. Now that doesn’t mean he is going to be great but there is at least some experience there

Advertisement
Patke actually had coached LBs before. He played LB in college. He coached LBs at incarnate world. He worked with diaz and the LBs at la tech and miss st. And before he got promoted to on field coach here, his first 2 years he was working with diaz and the LBs. Now that doesn’t mean he is going to be great but there is at least some experience there
Thanks for the info, I do like that he has experience there. I do think that he prepared the strikers real well, as Gil seemed to diagnose plays much quicker this year etc.

When did both the LBer positions start being inside LBers?? It was Weak LB when Pinckney was here and both positions dont play the same way.

As is the case in many professions, another year of experience usually translates to better performance as someone hones their skills and gains knowledge. If Parke is as good with X’s and O’s and has football smarts as some have mentioned, he’ll improve this year. He’ll also be able to lean on Coach TRob, Coach Simpson, Shoop, and Manny.

Advertisement
Back