UM announces Aristide as OLB coach, Patke shifted to ILB coach; Diaz comments

Advertisement
Welcome to the U Mr Aristide!!! While it won’t likely work out for the ‘22 class unless he comes in hard, I think this pays big dividends for the ‘23 recruiting class. Young well thought of and as others stated, hungry to work. I think he will help the recruiting a great deal. Which county(s) will be his responsibility?

Sounds like a bright guy. Purdue is a good school, he graduated with a real major and working consulting at Deloitte is no joke. Honestly a little surprised he's in football right now as that career would probably earn him more over a lifetime (although he's probably making more from us now than he would in a consulting role at probably a Jr VP level).
Deloitte, so money bags experience. Father HC, so just like Manny inherited talking points from papa, he inherits coaching. Plus all the analytical experience helps him be on the same page as Manny. Or...no?

Deloitte, so money bags experience. Father HC, so just like Manny inherited talking points from papa, he inherits coaching. Plus all the analytical experience helps him be on the same page as Manny. Or...no?

I think you need to wear a monocle and a top hat to have "money bags" experience, whatever that means.

Advertisement
Sounds like a bright guy. Purdue is a good school, he graduated with a real major and working consulting at Deloitte is no joke. Honestly a little surprised he's in football right now as that career would probably earn him more over a lifetime (although he's probably making more from us now than he would in a consulting role at probably a Jr VP level).
And also he might have a soul

We legit just had a punter break the net punting average in NCAA history...and KJ Osborn made 1st team All ACC as a punt returner in 2019. Plus I think we missed only one field goal last year and blocked like 5.

Only Miami fans man. Devin Hesters don’t grow on trees
I get it. I would like someone that can field a punt without me having a heart attack. Let’s start there and then maybe we see if we can get ten yards consistently.

Difference between these green assistants is they’re proven recruiters. T-Rob will be overseeing DVD and Aristide doesn’t have immense responsibility.
Exactly. You obviously would like both a proven recruiter and a technician but if I could pick one it’s a recruiter.

It’s so much harder to consistently turn a three star into an AA and a first or second round pick.

The statistics are clear. Five and four stars are more likely to be first round picks than lower stars.

Jimmy and Joes.

I get it. I would like someone that can field a punt without me having a heart attack. Let’s start there and then maybe we see if we can get ten yards consistently.
Ok, by that logic you would trade the special teams unit from 2019 with the one from 2020 when the 2019 unit lost us probably 4 games. Our 2020 special teams unit didn’t cost us a single game and probably won us 4 games this year.

SPECIAL TEAMS IS NOT JUST NOT PUNT RETURN.

Advertisement
We legit just had a punter break the net punting average in NCAA history...and KJ Osborn made 1st team All ACC as a punt returner in 2019. Plus I think we missed only one field goal last year and blocked like 5.

Only Miami fans man. Devin Hesters don’t grow on trees
I am admittedly not an X’s and O’s Guy. It seems like allot of teams don’t return like they did 10-15 years ago. Miami would always return well but returns are not as explosive as they were in the past. Is this across college football? Is it schemed differently coupled with the fact you basically cannot block without a flag?

Ok, by that logic you would trade the special teams unit from 2019 with the one from 2020 when the 2019 unit lost us probably 4 games. Our 2020 special teams unit didn’t cost us a single game and probably won us 4 games this year.

JESUS F@#CKING CHRIST with this absurd notion of giving Patke credit for Borregales and Hedley's ability to kick. He's not some kicking guru. He probably did literally not one single thing to help them accomplish what they did.

How about the special teams that allowed Louisville to convert an onside kick against us while we just sat there? Or the unit that allowed GT to score on a fake punt?

SPECIAL TEAMS IS NOT JUST KICKING

I am admittedly not an X’s and O’s Guy. It seems like allot of teams don’t return like they did 10-15 years ago. Miami would always return well but returns are not as explosive as they were in the past. Is this across college football? Is it schemed differently coupled with the fact you basically cannot block without a flag?
blind side blocks and teams just getting smarter about how they angle punts.

Lou was talking about how in 2019 he could boom the ball, but didn’t really put much thought into angling. In 2020 he put an emphasis on angling his punts. If you look back, he did a great job this year of keeping his punts against the sideline and aiming them opposite of how the punt return team wanted to set up their blocks. For most division 1 and nfl punters that can all boom the ball, the difference is the ability to have touch and angle the kicks accordingly.

blind side blocks and teams just getting smarter about how they angle punts.

Lou was talking about how in 2019 he could boom the ball, but didn’t really put much thought into angling. In 2020 he put an emphasis on angling his punts. If you look back, he did a great job this year of keeping his punts against the sideline and aiming them opposite of how the punt return team wanted to set up their blocks. For most division 1 and nfl punters that can all boom the ball, the difference is the ability to have touch and angle the kicks accordingly.
Seemed like every game Miami would have a huge return back in the day. It was great. Now, I just look for a phantom flag.

The angling and how they punt like they have a pitching wedge attached to their ankle is impressive.

Advertisement
JESUS F@#CKING CHRIST with this absurd notion of giving Patke credit for Borregales and Hedley's ability to kick. He's not some kicking guru. He probably did literally not one single thing to help them accomplish what they did.

How about the special teams that allowed Louisville to convert an onside kick against us while we just sat there? Or the unit that allowed GT to score on a fake punt?

SPECIAL TEAMS IS NOT JUST KICKING
"The biggest thing about Lou is he's had one returnable punt all year," special teams coordinator Jonathan Patke said last week before the Pittsburgh game. "And with the placement and our coverage, which goes to how hard guys are playing, and his hang time--the biggest difference between Lou this year and last year is his placement of the football. Last year he sprayed them into the middle of the field, but this year they're really been outside of the hash."

"Last year I think I had a pretty good year, but I hit a lot of balls down the middle and that was one of my big things coming into this year that I really worked on during the offseason in the quarantine with directional punting and coach Patke," Hedley said. "We spoke about it and the importance of it getting outside the hash and how much easier it makes it for our missiles."

Seemed like every game Miami would have a huge return back in the day. It was great. Now, I just look for a phantom flag.

The angling and how they punt like they have a pitching wedge attached to their ankle is impressive.
It really is, honestly the punt/punt reutrn might be my favorite play in all of football to analyze. So much detail goes into such a "simple" play. We haven't even talked about the gunners and the battles they go through.

The only reason the ST improved last year was the individual skills of the punter and kicker... Patke as ST coach is a fail... no idea why this guy is still on staff. He is a glorified GA at best.

Advertisement

So according to your logic the measure of a good special teams coach is how good the kicker and the punter are?

I respectfully disagree. He got a quality transfer kicker that was ready made from Fiu. He didn’t teach him how to kick same with the punter.

A quality special teams coach is judged by the return game and blocked punts and fgs. VTech special teams always received rave reviews because of the ways they schemed on punts and fgs.

It really is, honestly the punt/punt reutrn might be my favorite play in all of football to analyze. So much detail goes into such a "simple" play. We haven't even talked about the gunners and the battles they go through.
You must love Slater. The return game back in the day was unreal. You could have an extended convo about Miami and FSU returners. Williams, Sawyer, Hester, Moss. I think McCorvey was back there, Deion. Sean McDonough had a call with Moss against Syracuse where he was incredulous about how fast Moss was running. I talked to Sean about it and he basically said, “Macca, I didn’t think a human could run that fast. Then Hester showed up!

Now we have... The Flag

So according to your logic the measure of a good special teams coach is how good the kicker and the punter are?

I respectfully disagree. He got a quality transfer kicker that was ready made from Fiu. He didn’t teach him how to kick same with the punter.

A quality special teams coach is judged by the return game and blocked punts and fgs. VTech special teams always received rave reviews because of the ways they schemed on punts and fgs.
Headley legit credited Patke for his improvement this year......? You don't break the all time net punt average by just having a great punter. It is a combination of a great punter, disciplined coverage units, and sound X and 0s.

We legit had 3 blocked field goals this year. What more do you want?

The days of Devin Hester are gone. There are not dudes reutrning TDs every game out there. Yes, we had problems securing the ball on punt return, but to say our special teams were awful because of that one thing....come back to reality. Good luck finding a 18-22 year old that can make sound split second judgements on a punt...looks a lot easier from your couch than it is in real life.

How could I also not mention CJ Richardson. Talk about a special teams mastermind. He was amazing in coverage.

Advertisement
Back