UM announces Aristide as OLB coach, Patke shifted to ILB coach; Diaz comments

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – Miami native Ishmael Aristide, who spent the past two seasons as a defensive analyst at Texas A&M, will join the Miami Hurricanes football staff as outside linebackers coach, head coach Manny Diaz announced Monday. Aristide’s hire is pending completion of a standard University background check.

“We’re excited to welcome Ishmael to the Hurricanes program,” Diaz said. “He is a sharp defensive mind and relentless recruiter who will be a great addition to our coaching staff.”

With the addition of Aristide to the coaching staff, Jonathan Patke will shift to inside linebackers coach/special teams coordinator.

Last season Aristide worked with a defense that ranked No. 9 in FBS in total defense (317.3 yards per game), leading the SEC in that category and ranking No. 4 among Power 5 schools. Texas A&M ended 2020 ranked No. 2 in the country in rushing defense, allowing just 92 yards per game.

Prior to his arrival in College Station, Aristide spent two seasons (2017-18) at Ole Miss. He was a player personnel analyst in 2017 and was promoted to senior player personnel analyst prior to 2018.

Aristide spent one season as defensive graduate assistant at Auburn (2016) before joining the Rebels football staff.

Aristide played collegiately at Purdue, redshirting the 2009 campaign due to injury and earning letters at safety in 2010 and 2011 before converting to wide receiver for the 2012 season, when his career was cut short by injury.

Aristide also ran track for the Boilermakers. A three-time Big Ten academic all-conference honoree, Aristide finished as runner-up for Purdue student body president in the 2012 election and served as president of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes his senior year.

A Miami native and a graduate of Maynard Evans High in Orlando, Aristide earned his bachelor’s degree from Purdue in 2013 in technology leadership and innovation. Aristide worked for Deloitte Consulting in Atlanta from 2013-16 before joining the Auburn coaching staff. His father, Wallace, is the principal at Miami Northwestern Senior High School.

Advertisement
Sounds like a bright guy. Purdue is a good school, he graduated with a real major and working consulting at Deloitte is no joke. Honestly a little surprised he's in football right now as that career would probably earn him more over a lifetime (although he's probably making more from us now than he would in a consulting role at probably a Jr VP level).

I thought we don’t have olbs no more so are we gonna change the defense again to how it was when manny got here and have trob coach strikers/safeties?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Sounds like a bright guy. Purdue is a good school, he graduated with a real major and working consulting at Deloitte is no joke. Honestly a little surprised he's in football right now as that career would probably earn him more over a lifetime (although he's probably making more from us now than he would in a consulting role at probably a Jr VP level).

I think the thing that also says is that he wanted to get back to football. Good career options at Deloitte, but likely wasn't where his heart is. He gave that a good shot and took a chance. I hope it works out, seems it has to this point.

This is a great example of following your heart and dreams. I know it's just an article, but to me it says one thing. This guy is going to work. I've said a lot of his success will depend on how Diaz draws up and calls this defense, but this isn't a guy just here to collect a check.

Advertisement
Back