UM announces Aristide as OLB coach, Patke shifted to ILB coach; Diaz comments

View as article
Coaching only matters when the kid sucks. When they’re good it’s all the player.

Advertisement
Man this dude done died and went to heaven.. He gets to walk in a living room & pitch the opportunity to "stay home & play for the crib" versus convincing a kid (and his family) to come to College Station, Texas.

When did both the LBer positions start being inside LBers?? It was Weak LB when Pinckney was here and both positions dont play the same way.
They been considered both as ilb in this defense. It’s similar to a 3-4 where you have 2 ilb. One is the weak side and the other is the mike

Advertisement
Because he is a close friend of Diaz. I know TWill got a better position, but the better idea would have been Aristide and TWill as LB coaches. We just don't seem able to totally free ourselves of friendships and play chess. Saban has no friends.
After the NC game there's only one way to go, maybe. BAMA is the best indicator, should be.

Ad that to a part time inexperienced head coach and part time DC.
Simpson and Robinson are the heavy hitters from a technical standpoint.
Jess has the front and run coverage, while Robinson has the back and pass covered.
The other coaches will take their cues from them.

if you really want to get a sense of what coach Ish is all about check the behind the U podcast. he worked for deloitte in their consulting group for three years after college before going into football. he would have likely been a partner there in a few years but football was his passion so he left. extremely impressive guy. almost had me ready to run through a wall even at my advanced age. this guy is a future head coach, mark my words.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Simpson and Robinson are the heavy hitters from a technical standpoint.
Jess has the front and run coverage, while Robinson has the back and pass covered.
The other coaches will take their cues from them.
I’m a fan of simpson but we should distinguish between what we know or think we know, and what we believe / want to believe but can’t prove. Robinson has a proven development record at the college level. Simpson has spent one year at miami, been in several roles the past 5 years, and seems like a really good coach but imo isn’t a proven developer the way folks want to say. It *seems* like that’s what he is, but we have to see him do it and stick around to really know. IMO.

I’m a fan of simpson but we should distinguish between what we know or think we know, and what we believe / want to believe but can’t prove. Robinson has a proven development record at the college level. Simpson has spent one year at miami, been in several roles the past 5 years, and seems like a really good coach but imo isn’t a proven developer the way folks want to say. It *seems* like that’s what he is, but we have to see him do it and stick around to really know. IMO.
Faire statement.
This was an assumption based on resumes.
I'm assuming that Simpson an Robinson are based on title alone (i.e., DL Coach and Associate HC, and Secondary Coach), so again, my assumption is they can pull rank on most of the other positions coach in that defensive room.
Also, with Bob Shoop around he's likely an additional helper off the field with the position coach, I'm pointing both LB coaches, just setting up drills and the point of them and just fundamental/technical items. Again just assumption but, it seems like Diaz set up this defensive coaching staff to have a lot of back stops to allow younger coaches to develop from older and lean on additional background help.
If anything, Diaz is an organized smart dude, so that's what it SEEMS like he did, but maybe I'm looking too much into it, or over thinking it.

Either way, point taking and you're absolutely right, everything noted is 100% an assumption.

Because he is a close friend of Diaz. I know TWill got a better position, but the better idea would have been Aristide and TWill as LB coaches. We just don't seem able to totally free ourselves of friendships and play chess. Saban has no friends.
Billy Belichick

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back