UM All-Cane team

Cane44

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
I'm sure it's been done on this board before, I'm just not recalling one any time in the last couple years... What are your All-Cane Line-ups (Mount Rushmore)? Based on College performances and include pitching units. I'm thinking keeping it within first titles to now.

Advertisement
Oh this is fun. Ok here is my best shot.

1. Bobby Hill SS
2. Mike Fiore LF
3. Pat Burrell 3B
4. Yonder Alonso 1B
5. Ryan Braun DH
6. Charles Johnson C
7. Jason Michaels RF
8. Jemile Weeks 2B
9. Doug Shields CF

P- Neal Heaton

Man I just left off Jon Jay, Grandal, Zack Collins, Huff, Kevin Howard, etc.

Ask me in an hour and I might change my mind.

Or did I not understand correctly and you were looking for actual years where we had the best lineup and pitching staff? I’m an idiot if so. Oh well, I went with my all time team.

Oh this is fun. Ok here is my best shot.

1. Bobby Hill SS
2. Mike Fiore LF
3. Pat Burrell 3B
4. Yonder Alonso 1B
5. Ryan Braun DH
6. Charles Johnson C
7. Jason Michaels RF
8. Jemile Weeks 2B
9. Doug Shields CF

P- Neal Heaton

Man I just left off Jon Jay, Grandal, Zack Collins, Huff, Kevin Howard, etc.

Ask me in an hour and I might change my mind.
When jemile is your 8 hole hitter you know your team is stacked

Or did I not understand correctly and you were looking for actual years where we had the best lineup and pitching staff? I’m an idiot if so. Oh well, I went with my all time team.
was going for all-time team like you did. my canes baseball player knowledge is very limited to certain teams that I followed more than other years... I'm 43, so even though I went to and followed the 80's canes, my memory of studs is lacking, other than CJ. I had some of your same picks.
1B: Yonder
2B: Weeks
SS: ???
3B: Pat
DH: Yoyo
OF: Jon Jay
OF: Braun
OF: Huff
C: was a toss up for Grandal and CJ with Collins also
Pitchers: Heaton, Alex Fernandez, Chris Perez, Slade
Closer: Palmquist

Advertisement
Just a few names that should be included. A few before my time and before the window that was mentioned; I just know they were All Timers and giving them some props.

Pitcher - Stan Jakubowski
Pitcher/1B - Randy Guerra
Pitcher - Arteaga
Pitcher - Caesar Carrillo - Won 24 in a row
Utility - Mike Fiore (First ever **** Howser Trophy Winner)

was going for all-time team like you did. my canes baseball player knowledge is very limited to certain teams that I followed more than other years... I'm 43, so even though I went to and followed the 80's canes, my memory of studs is lacking, other than CJ. I had some of your same picks.
1B: Yonder
2B: Weeks
SS: ???
3B: Pat
DH: Yoyo
OF: Jon Jay
OF: Braun
OF: Huff
C: was a toss up for Grandal and CJ with Collins also
Pitchers: Heaton, Alex Fernandez, Chris Perez, Slade
Closer: Palmquist
Bryan Garcia as closer

Advertisement
Just a few names that should be included. A few before my time and before the window that was mentioned; I just know they were All Timers and giving them some props.

Pitcher - Arteaga
You sound closer to my age group. Here's a P from late 70's not many may know of: John Fulgham. Came to us from Yavapai JC.

He was headed for a great career w the Cardinals when he tore his rotator cuff. All 14 of his wins w the Cards in '79 - '80 were complete games.

You sound closer to my age group. Here's a P from late 70's not many may know of: John Fulgham. Came to us from Yavapai JC.

He was headed for a great career w the Cardinals when he tore his rotator cuff. All 14 of his wins w the Cards in '79 - '80 were complete games.
I'm only 43 but just a big baseball fan and appreciate the past. Throw in that its Canes related Ill probably read or dig around on the internet for anything.

Advertisement

Pitcher - Arteaga
Ah yes....the Richard Houser Trophy

Advertisement
No Rick Reather, Jay Tessmer Michael Neu and Danny Graves ahead of Garcia
Garcia was a very good closer, but he had a tendency to “play with his food” that I wasn’t fond of, and would put him behind several of our closers for me as well.

Chris Perez was money in that super-regional win (Ole Miss?), where Morris brought him in around the 4th or 5th inning.

Advertisement
Back