UM Academic Requirements

SevnandSevn

Day Drinker
Haven't seen this asked and honestly not sure if we still have higher requirements. With a new President does anyone think we go back to the NCAA academic requirements including a sliding scale?

Advertisement
I don't think our requirement are very high. We don't seem to lose actual recruits to academics that end up qualifying at other major schools.

[]_[] swag;2412316 said:
I don't think our requirement are very high. We don't seem to lose actual recruits to academics that end up qualifying at other major schools.

It certainly seemed we did in the past, but maybe those were largely sour grapes more recently.

I remember Hester getting a pass to get in. I also remember a WHOLE bunch of such passes when Lou Holtz got to ND (coughtonyricecough). I just want a level admissions playing field.

Our standards for fb admissions is not very high. I'm sure each kid and case is reviewed by admissions and passes are given for certain kids.

Advertisement
We haven't lost anyone to the SEC or FSU/Clemson because of their grades, none, ZERO. Every kid that we recruited has ended up at Marshall or JUCO if they had bad grades.

If they wanna win we should have the same standards that the other in state schools have enough of the bull**** you wanna play with the big boys you got to have big boy tools

We didn't lose many players with Golden but I think his terrible recruiting was part of it. We did lose a lot to grades or simply didn't chase a guy because we knew he wouldn't get in. We don't use the sliding scale and I really think it hurts us

We haven't lost anyone to the SEC or FSU/Clemson because of their grades, none, ZERO. Every kid that we recruited has ended up at Marshall or JUCO if they had bad grades.

There is more to academic eligibility than grades according to the NCAA. You also have to have an acceptable standardized test score (SAT or ACT). THIS is where kids fail. It's not usually grades, although it can be that too. The average SAT score among D-1 football players is quite low. You might be surprised how low. That is the problem. If a kid has a 780 SAT, he's not coming here but can probably get into 90% of D-1 schools. It's not that UM standards are so high, it's that the NCAA standards are very low. I have absolutely no doubt that we lose kids to other D-1 schools every year because UJM doesn't use the sliding scale (which is a joke, IMO).

Can I prove it? No. Because, the school will not say they rejected a recruit. The school can't even mention a kid's name unless he signs. And, no kid is going to publicly identify himself as a dumbass. The fact that they aren't publicly identified doesn't mean we don't lose them. In a perfect world I'd like to have them identified.

Advertisement
We didn't lose many players with Golden but I think his terrible recruiting was part of it. We did lose a lot to grades or simply didn't chase a guy because we knew he wouldn't get in. We don't use the sliding scale and I really think it hurts us
What's hurting us is our lack of coaching. We won 6 games last year with a team that had 7 drafted. Talent is not the issue

When is the last time admissions rejected a clearinghouse qualified kid? 10 years ago, non issue.

Advertisement
Back