UM Academic Requirements & Recruiting Dates

Decleated:

You made this statement in the original post of this thread:

Dead Period — Coaches are not permitted to make in-person recruiting contacts or evaluations on or off-campus or to permit official or unofficial visits by recruits or to make phone calls to recruits.

I disagree with the part that I put in bold. Are you sure they can't make calls?

Rules changed this year so I updated the info, **** NCAA keeps breaking all the links and they like to shuffle the info around their site..

Advertisement
The idea that our recruits get much resistance from admissions at UM is an egotistical fantasy portrayed by alumni that are still paying off student loans from the mid 90's.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This needs an update. To be eligible to compete in NCAA sports, the minimum GPA for Division 1 Eligibility was raised to 2.3
Yeah thanks..
Looks like many of the stuff I posted is broken since the upgrade to the new site. I need to fix some things once I get on a desktop.

The academic requirements for student athletes graduating in 2016 or later are going to be much higher than the current academic markers. If current high school athletes were required to meet the new academic standards, over 15% of incoming freshman would not be eligible (40% of basketball players and 35% of football players). This means if you are following the same courses as the athletes ahead of you, there is a chance you will not be eligible. Here is a summary of all of the new requirements.

• The new minimum GPA goes up from 2.0 to 2.3
  • The GPA requirements on the sliding scale have gone up roughly .5. See the sliding scale for 2016 graduates at the bottom of this page.
  • You must complete 10 of your 16 core course before your senior year of high school
  • You will not be allowed to retake any of your 10 core courses before your senior year for a higher score.

CORE COURSES
NCAA member schools require incoming student-athletes to build a foundation of high school courses that will best prepare them for the academic expectations in college.

• To play Division I sports, you must earn 16 core courses.
  • Ten of them must be completed prior to the seventh semester. Those ten courses are “locked in” and can’t be retaken to improve the grade-point average.
  • Seven of those 10 must be a combination of English, math or natural or physical science that fulfills the overall distribution requirements listed below.
  • If you don’t earn 10 courses before your seventh semester, you are still eligible to practice and receive a scholarship, but you can’t compete.
  • For a complete list of your high school’s NCAA core courses, visit www.eligibilitycenter.org.
DIVISION I CORE COURSE REQUIREMENTS
  • 4 years of English.
  • 3 years of mathematics (Algebra I or higher).
  • 2 years of natural/physical science (1 year of lab if offered by high school).
  • 1 year of additional English, mathematics or natural/physical science.
  • 2 years of social science.
  • 4 years of additional courses (from any area above, foreign language or comparative religion/philosophy).

Advertisement
Qn3e7dpr.png

31spoonerstreet;5847841 said:
Coaches can't block transfer to specific school but conferences still can though so no ACC to ACC or SEC to SEC can still be a thing. Tampering still a no no
New transfer rule eliminates permission-to-contact process

4 games and still "redshirt"
DI football to offer more participation opportunities
Thanks Spoon!

*DI football to offer more participation opportunities
Starting this season, football players can play in up to four games without losing a season of competition

*New transfer rule eliminates permission-to-contact process
DI Council hopes change brings transparency and opens conversation between students and coaches

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back