UM’s Richt opens up on where he needed to improves + Notes

Dan Sileo JR

Band
Banned
UM's Richt opens up on where he needed to improve; Canes notes | Miami Herald
All credit to Barry and the Herald.

A six-pack of UM notes as we approach UM-FSU on Saturday:

• Coach Mark Richt, appearing with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’s Hurricane Hotline on Tuesday, offered insight into one way he has changed as a coach:

“I had to do a better job of celebrating victories,” he said. “For me, personally, I’m always thankful, sometimes relieved [after a win], let’s go the next one. I don’t need to celebrate and jump as much for me as I do it for the guys. That was one other thing, when I decided to keep coaching [after Georgia replaced him], I’m going to make sure we have some fun.

“Players know football is mostly fun and sometimes it’s only fun when you win. So when you win, you have to celebrate. Here’s this old 57 year old dude getting your blood pumping in a game for boys and young men. You can get your job done without liking each other. You can get your job done without enjoying it… But it’s nice when you do like the guy next to you, when you have respect for the guy next to you.”

ESPN cameras caught Richt cursing against Duke, and Richt said: “I’m ashamed of a few things I’ve got to do better at. Most of the time I’m mad, I’m mad at me for not preparing me. If a guy doesn’t line up right, that’s coaching.”

Regarding certain penalties, Richt said: “It’s on me. I’ve got to do a better job of making sure everyone knows exactly where to line up. I called a play I called two years ago but didn’t rep before this game. When you don’t rep it, you get that result.”

Of Saturday’s game, he said: “I’m excited. These are the games everyone should be excited about. The nation likes to take a peek to see what’s going on with Florida State and Miami. It’s a game we know means so much to everybody. It’s going to be a battle royale for sure.”

• UM is hoping to expose FSU’s offensive line, as Wake Forest did in collecting five sacks on Saturday.

“I hope we can have that kind of production,” Richt said. “Hats off to Wake Forest’s defense, they did a super job. We feel we have a pretty good front seven - we have to prove it.”

Richt raved about FSU’s defense.

• UM has won eight consecutive games by an average of 21 points per game, going back to the last five of last season.

Richt cited these common denominators on WQAM’s Hurricane Hotline:

“We’re playing some pretty good defense,” he said. “That helps a lot. We have to this point secured the ball pretty well. We really have done a good job securing the football as runners. We have had a couple picks. The two [Malik Rosier] threw were more an overthrow of a receiver than just a bad decision. We had a bad decision last week that could have or should have turned into a pick. But Malik for the most part hasn’t thrown the ball recklessly.”

Richt said Rosier made “maybe two” bad decisions “out of the whole game. If you have only those two problems in the whole game, you’ve done a great job.”

Has Rosier’s strong accuracy surprised Richt? “We saw it in practice,” Richt said on Hurricane Hotline. “We saw it in camp. He was very accurate. He won the job because he made good decisions and “was very accurate with decisions. The best play of the game to me was the little flag route he hit to Braxton [Berrios]. They disguised it pretty good.”

• Rosier’s acumen with the read option – and his ability to execute play fakes - has been very valuable.

Case in point was Travis Homer’s 40 yard run against Duke.

“We’re blocking everyone to the right,” Richt said. “We’ve got two guys off the edge – a safety and defensive end. When Malik hands the ball, he is going to make a quick movement as if he has the ball. The safety flinched for a fraction and that’s just enough for Homer to run by him and take it to the house. Ball fakes are so imporant when it comes to play action and zone reads and nakeds and bootlegs. When you hand the ball off, you want someone to be searching the quarterback.”

Richt said players get rewards for fakes that affect the play. “If they make a ball fake and it affects a defender, they get one in the bank,” Richt said, meaning it would offset required gassers for making an egregious mistake.

• UM loves how Malek Young played against Duke; he replaced Michael Jackson as the starting cornerback opposite Dee Delaney.

“Malek has earned the right to start,” Richt said. “He’s a very good cover guy, got great ball skills. He’s got a nose for the ball. There’s more to it than that. There’s a run that broke out that he got off a [blokcer] and made the tackle. Everyone else that tried to get him down couldn’t get him down.”

Richt also liked how Delaney and Jhavonte Dean played against Duke.

• ESPN assigned Dave Pasch and Greg McElroy to Saturday’s 3:30 p.m. UM-FSU game. It would been an ABC 8 p.m. game with Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit if Hurricane Irma hadn’t forced postponement from Sept. 16.

ABC/ESPN instead opted to put Michigan-Michigan State in prime time on Saturday instead of UM-FSU.

Advertisement
Still refreshing that he blames himself before the players. Not sure why, but reading that got me pumped. I can't believe it is only Tuesday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad he gave credit to Malek for tackling. I thought he played like an animal and didn't play like an undersized CB. Kid plays big and you have to love that.

Also happy to see Dean was mentioned because I think he needs to see the field.

Advertisement
Really like what I saw from Dean too! Him developing will be huge for us

One thing that gets overlooked in our pursuit of perfection and analyzing to death every bad play is the fact that we've won 8 straight by an average of 21 points. That's pretty goddam impressive.

Glad he gave credit to Malek for tackling. I thought he played like an animal and didn't play like an undersized CB. Kid plays big and you have to love that.

Also happy to see Dean was mentioned because I think he needs to see the field.

dean should get minutes after fsu

cant afford a big play given up

dean will get lots of PT later on in the year and will be a beast next year

Al Golden " it's on me"..... then makes excuses for his sh it D

Al Golden " no excuses "..... proceeds to name off laundry list of excuses.

Richt " it's on me".....statement ends.

Advertisement
Another thing Richt said was "D-line need to be in the right gaps like they're suppose to be." I was so happy when I heard that. We gave up big holes in the run game because we didn't rush in our gap. To many times I saw RJ McIntosh rush to the wrong/DE gap giving the RB a lane to run through in his gap. You gotta rush in your lane (Not the DE's lane/gap - unless it a twist) so when it a run your there for the stop or to close up the hole as you push the pocket back. Discipline!!

Nobody wants to give him credit on this board for all the successful plays he's called and the thought process behind them... guy is an offensive genius, y'all worried about jet sweeps though.

Advertisement
I'm glad the game is not at night. The heat can have an effect on the fans as well, so probably not as loud. You know they won't go down without a fight. I want to see our best game since Richt came in. Rosier may need to run the ball a bit this week. Plus they need to give homer more carries when Walton is getting stuffed.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I'm glad the game is not at night. The heat can have an effect on the fans as well, so probably not as loud. You know they won't go down without a fight. I want to see our best game since Richt came in. Rosier may need to run the ball a bit this week. Plus they need to give homer more carries when Walton is getting stuffed.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Agreed home teams play better at night. We don't need them getting any extra boost.

Advertisement
We are so lucky that Georgia fired him the same year we fired Al Golden, Whatever you think about him the facts are the facts Richt has the 3rd best winning percentage of all active D1 coaches who have coached for atleast 7 seasons. I dont think some people realize how lucky we are to have him as our coach and after watching Al Golden be maybe the worst miami coach of all time youd think people would appreciate Richt alittle more.

Really not understanding Michigan v. Mich St as prime time. If u decide not to chose our game, don't ***** us over for that slop game.

Has Rosier’s strong accuracy surprised Richt? “We saw it in practice,” Richt said on Hurricane Hotline. “We saw it in camp. He was very accurate. He won the job because he made good decisions and “was very accurate with decisions. The best play of the game to me was the little flag route he hit to Braxton [Berrios]. They disguised it pretty good.”

You sure didn't read that around camp time here. It certainly begs the question, what were people seeing or maybe its time to look for new sources.

Never forget when Alzugaray showed him a picture of LBs deep in the endzone w GT and the ball at the one.

Advertisement
Back