UF.ag going after Edgar Cerenord

Pick you poison, player 1 a 2 or 3 star average player with a high IQ or player 2 a 4 or 5 star great football player that is of below average IQ. If they do not qualify here they end up going elsewhere and playing against us. Teams with a lot of player 1 type of guys go 7-5 at best on the season, player 2 guys may go 10-2 or better. Just how will a few below average IQ guys bring down the academic standards of a school like the (U). Do the math it won't.

So there aren't any high quality players with brains? Is that what you're saying? And don't give me this **** that teams with academic standards can't win...look at Stanford. Pretty sure Stanford has done better than 7-5 the last couple years. Also, I realize that Stanford hasn't won an NC, but they still are a successful team.

Nice work on your math.

Where does Stanford pull their players from and where does Miami pull their players from? Has lot to do with it. The top talent in the USA comes from south Florida and guess what. South Florida is not known for their high school academics.

Not the kids fault when their high-schools suck and they come from a single parent home in some inner city. Put some of these kids in some rich upper middle class house hold growing up in California and guess what? They would do much better in school and maybe qualify at Stanford. These local south Florida kids have put UM on the map with five national football championships and it would not hurt to put them in at Coral Gables getting a new education and hopefully a new life. Kind of the point of college, right?

The problem. It lies herein.

And it is not the University of Miami.

Advertisement
Pick you poison, player 1 a 2 or 3 star average player with a high IQ or player 2 a 4 or 5 star great football player that is of below average IQ. If they do not qualify here they end up going elsewhere and playing against us. Teams with a lot of player 1 type of guys go 7-5 at best on the season, player 2 guys may go 10-2 or better. Just how will a few below average IQ guys bring down the academic standards of a school like the (U). Do the math it won't.

Thank u, some are just too moronic to understand

You are definitely correct about that.

So there aren't any high quality players with brains? Is that what you're saying? And don't give me this **** that teams with academic standards can't win...look at Stanford. Pretty sure Stanford has done better than 7-5 the last couple years. Also, I realize that Stanford hasn't won an NC, but they still are a successful team.

Nice work on your math.

Where does Stanford pull their players from and where does Miami pull their players from? Has lot to do with it. The top talent in the USA comes from south Florida and guess what. South Florida is not known for their high school academics.

Not the kids fault when their high-schools suck and they come from a single parent home in some inner city. Put some of these kids in some rich upper middle class house hold growing up in California and guess what? They would do much better in school and maybe qualify at Stanford. These local south Florida kids have put UM on the map with five national football championships and it would not hurt to put them in at Coral Gables getting a new education and hopefully a new life. Kind of the point of college, right?

BINGO. This man gets it. The real problem is the school system in SoFla. Its a glorified day care system. One of the worst in the nation. TONS of kids coming out every year with horrible grades, can barely qualify. This is the curse for UM. Its a school that has worked hard to really enter the top ranks academically, and athletically, its blessed by being in one of the top hotbeds of talent in the nation for athletes, BUT... many of those athletes are in terrible academic shape because of a lousy school system, making it very hard to get some of these kids in to school. So they end up in these diploma mills like WVU or the SEC day care centers where no one gives a f*ck if you can even read or write as long as you run fast.

IMO the best solution here is to have some kind of compromise. Allow the Football program to bring in a few borderline type kids each year, we are likely doing that now, the problem is, we probably have a decent number of kids who are already using up those spots.

I agree that the school system in SoFla is part of the problem, but we can't expect Miami to lower their standards just because of that.

Why not lobby and demand change for improved school system reform since its our property taxes that are used to fund school budgets. We should be getting more out of what we contribute.

Advertisement
I think its a cultural issue as much as a school system issue. The kids and their parents do not value education as a priority. The kids and their families do not want to help themselves. The school system has become a product of that underlying issue. This is just my opinion as a son of a quality veteran school teacher.

Nice work on your math.

BINGO. This man gets it. The real problem is the school system in SoFla. Its a glorified day care system. One of the worst in the nation. TONS of kids coming out every year with horrible grades, can barely qualify. This is the curse for UM. Its a school that has worked hard to really enter the top ranks academically, and athletically, its blessed by being in one of the top hotbeds of talent in the nation for athletes, BUT... many of those athletes are in terrible academic shape because of a lousy school system, making it very hard to get some of these kids in to school. So they end up in these diploma mills like WVU or the SEC day care centers where no one gives a f*ck if you can even read or write as long as you run fast.

IMO the best solution here is to have some kind of compromise. Allow the Football program to bring in a few borderline type kids each year, we are likely doing that now, the problem is, we probably have a decent number of kids who are already using up those spots.

it is not all of the schools, just most of the inner city ones which also happen to be the under performing schools in miami. on the other hand, coral reef HS for example is predominantly african american but is one of the highest ranked schools in miami. unfortunately they don't have much of a football program.

Last edited:
The onus is on the players to get their education, period. Even with a sub par school system, if the players pay attention and do their work they will come out and qualify easily. School is one of those endeavors that, more often than not, you will get out what you put in. The school may fail them in that they're not going to be Rhodes Scholars and get 2100 on their SATs but I have every faith that even a poor school district can get kids a working education and qualified; two things a lot of these kids don't have.

With news today that, at least a strong rumor, both Wyche and the Big Heurt have signed and faxed in their paperwork, will we still actively pursue Cerenord?

Advertisement
With news today that, at least a strong rumor, both Wyche and the Big Heurt have signed and faxed in their paperwork, will we still actively pursue Cerenord?

Good question...with 5 DT's commited, that might be the case.

I don't think they are really related. Maybe someone like Lance McDonald (JUCO DT) doesn't have a ship anymore because those two are related.

I think the question is how many "ships" are left and whether there is a higher target available. I think the numbers look good all around (i.e. DTs, S, QBs etc.) and we hit our NEEDs if everyone sticks, I think now is a question of who do we want the most.

If I had to guess, the following players (in-state) probably have the ability to commit at any time:

1. Cook,
2. Rudolph,
3. Lane,
4. JC Jackson, and
5. Michel

I am not saying we get the 5 above, just saying that they are likely the highest targets available and they have the ability to commit at any time IMO. After that, maybe someone like Edgar Cerenord has an open ship.

Advertisement
Back