U v. BC

Advertisement
62.png

Last edited:
The crowd was poor, but almost no students must have been tough for Coach L.

Oh and...
SWOPES IS A BEAST!!!

Advertisement
I was at the game. Even given the quality of the opponent, this was one of the most complete wins, and definitely the most dominant win of the season. This team could easily be 10-4 in the ACC right now if not for some close losses, two of which were in overtime. What Coach L has done with a 9 man rotation (including James Kelly, even though he's suspended now) is nothing short of amazing this season. I can guarantee we'll be a tournament team next year with Burnett, Lecomte, Jekiri, and Reed back, along with the stud newcomers coming in (Newton, Palmer, Sherman, and Uceda). We'll make some major noise in the tourney next year as well.

I was at the game. Even given the quality of the opponent, this was one of the most complete wins, and definitely the most dominant win of the season. This team could easily be 10-4 in the ACC right now if not for some close losses, two of which were in overtime. What Coach L has done with a 9 man rotation (including James Kelly, even though he's suspended now) is nothing short of amazing this season. I can guarantee we'll be a tournament team next year with Burnett, Lecomte, Jekiri, and Reed back, along with the stud newcomers coming in (Newton, Palmer, Sherman, and Uceda). We'll make some major noise in the tourney next year as well.

Team could easily be 12-2 or 13-1. Only ACC game we were never in was Duke. Every other game we were within 5 under 5 minutes, and most we were winning or tied.

Got up at 1:30 for this one and they sure made it worth it. Boston College must have still been savoring that Syracuse win and forgot to check into the game. Hoops win at home today, Canes Tennis win at home today and now Canes Baseball will wrap things up tonight with a win at home! Perfect day.

Advertisement

Team could easily be 12-2 or 13-1. Only ACC game we were never in was Duke. Every other game we were within 5 under 5 minutes, and most we were winning or tied.

If this team could "easily" have those records, we would. Are there close games that we could have or even should have won, but lost instead? Sure, there are a couple of those. But when a team consistently performs a certain way down the stretch - goes cold, costly turnovers, etc. - that is who that team is. Saying that we "easily" could have won so many more games makes it sound like we got hard-luck bounces or bad calls in 7 or 8 losses, and that maybe we're a bunch of underachievers. In many ways, this team is actually overachieving.

McClellan, Rodriguez and Burnett are arguably the most talented three players on this year's roster and all are red shirting. Get your licks in now because next year we're coming.

JoshdaCane again showing that he is the most knowledgable poster on here. Laughing at we could easily be 12-2 or 13-1. Based on what? Maybe 7-7 or possibly 8-6 at best. As Bill Parcells says your record is your record. Coach L has done a great job with this crew. Swope must be having a blast finally getting an opportunity in his senior year. It will be interesting to see how we perform vs UVA.

After watching this team early in the season, I couldn't see a single ACC win in their future.

They have definitely overachieved IMO.

Advertisement

It's always fun when walk-ons score -- and Heller hit quite the shot with a guy in his face! The reaction of the guys on the bench said it all -- good for him, getting a nice moment after years of hard work!

I missed the game because of physical therapy, unfortunately, but it's nice to see us put together a quality game, even against an opponent with a poor record. Like Josh said, we've probably overachieved this year given our level of talent, and that's a testament to our coaching staff and the high effort level of the players. At the beginning of the season, I thought we'd win 4 conference games this year, and the team has already surpassed my expectations.

Advertisement

If this team could "easily" have those records, we would. Are there close games that we could have or even should have won, but lost instead? Sure, there are a couple of those. But when a team consistently performs a certain way down the stretch - goes cold, costly turnovers, etc. - that is who that team is. Saying that we "easily" could have won so many more games makes it sound like we got hard-luck bounces or bad calls in 7 or 8 losses, and that maybe we're a bunch of underachievers. In many ways, this team is actually overachieving.

I stand by what I said, and you know what I meant. In all of those games we were either winning or tied with 5 or so minutes left. To me, that's the definition of "easily could have been...." I never said we were that good of a team, there is a difference, but you can't say we weren't in those games we lost. You can't say that we couldn't have won those games. We get a break or two in those games and we could have won them all. Not saying we deserved to win them all. Never said that. Not saying we're even a good team. Not saying we haven't overachieved this year, we have. But we could easily have won all of those games we lost. Nothing wrong with pointing that out. On the flip side, we also could have easily lost a couple of the games we won. Don't really see the big deal, or what's wrong with what I said.

Last edited:
JoshdaCane again showing that he is the most knowledgable poster on here. Laughing at we could easily be 12-2 or 13-1. Based on what? Maybe 7-7 or possibly 8-6 at best. As Bill Parcells says your record is your record. Coach L has done a great job with this crew. Swope must be having a blast finally getting an opportunity in his senior year. It will be interesting to see how we perform vs UVA.

Do I have to spell it out? Did I say we deserve to be 13-1? Nope. Did I say we are that good? Nope. But we could easily be 13-1. How hard is that to understand. When you lose 6-7 games that you were winning with 5 minutes left, it's pretty easy to say or see that you could have won all of those games. The Dolphins deserved to be 8-8, but could have easily have been 12-4 or 13-3. That doesn't mean they were that good, they weren't , they were mediocre. They also could have easily have been 4-12.

Last edited:
I stand by what I said, and you know what I meant. In all of those games we were either winning or tied with 5 or so minutes left. To me, that's the definition of "easily could have been...." I never said we were that good of a team, there is a difference, but you can't say we weren't in those games we lost. You can't say that we couldn't have won those games. We get a break or two in those games and we could have won them all. Not saying we deserved to win them all. Never said that. Not saying we're even a good team. Not saying we haven't overachieved this year, we have. But we could easily have won all of those games we lost. Nothing wrong with pointing that out. On the flip side, we also could have easily lost a couple of the games we won. Don't really see the big deal, or what's wrong with what I said.

Perhaps you use the term "easily"...too easily.

My basic issue is this as I said, "easily" implies that there was some sort of bad luck, fate, conspiracy, or otherwise to why we lost seven or eight of the conference games we "easily could have won." Winning close games is a skill. It involves discipline, confidence, basketball ability, coaching ability, and a host of other things. Luck is only a very small component of winning close games.

We're not elite in "winning close games" - hence, we lose the majority of them. We stop scoring down the stretch - even against Notre Dame, a game we won - we watched a 15-point lead diminished to 1 because we had three field goals in the last 11 minutes of a game, and because we made careless turnovers. Are there games that we could have/should have won? Yes, of course - I'd point to the first VT game and the Pitt game as the most egregious examples. The last VT game, where we didn't play well for a single minute of the 40? Or the second Syracuse game, where we had a stretch in the middle of the game where we played well - after being down double digits early, and losing by double digits late? Not so much.

This team is improving, and I'm proud of the effort that has gotten us there.

Advertisement
Back