U offers OL Zac Darwiche a P.W.O.

Advertisement
Last edited:
Advertisement
Clay Matthews was a late bloomer, to say the least. He walked on at USC, and he spent his entire career not getting on All-America or All-Pac-12 teams. He didn't win many awards, but he opened some eyes with his progress throughout his tenure with the Trojans.

When the dust settled from his final season, the NFL had figured out what he was, and he went to the Green Bay Packers with the 26th overall pick in the 2009 draft.

If NFL production had anything at all to do with this list, Matthews would be at the top, and the competition wouldn't even be close.

OT Logan Mankins was a walk-on anchored the offensive line for the Fresno State Bulldogs in 2001 and 2002.

After 11 seasons, seven Pro Bowl invites and six All-Pro selections, guard Logan Mankins has officially brought to a close a stellar career that ended with two seasons in Tampa after nearly a decade with the Patriots.

Advertisement
Ziggy Ansah, DE – Detroit Lions

"Of all the players on this list, Ezekiel Nana “Ziggy” Ansah traveled the farthest to fulfill his dreams. Born and raised in Accra, Ghana, Ansah actually played soccer and basketball growing up in Africa and had never seen an American football game. He was urged by a Mormon missionary to pursue basketball at Brigham Young University on an academic scholarship in 2008. He was cut not once, but twice, by the BYU Cougars roundball squad and walked on with the track team, where he ran a 10.91 100-meter. The Cougars football team took notice and after a crash course in rules and how to dress himself and a couple of years as an understudy, eventually became a starter in his senior year. The Detroit Lions selected him fifth overall in the 2013 draft and he has been a regular for them ever since."

Jj watt had a full Scholls to central michigan though aND played there a year. He want like an off the street walk on type..he was a div 1 level player that wanted to go home to wisky.

Nobody gives a f**k about preferred walk ons.

Hunter Renfrow would disagree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are exceptions, and there are rules. Renfrow is the exception. No way most anyone cares about "walk-on recruiting". You can pretty much assume these guys end up on the scout team their whole careers 99.9% of the time.

Depends on the school and the culture. Badgers have put more walk-ons in the NFL than some teams have players overall. SFT Jim Leonhard, played for Ravens, Jets, Bills and Browns. Their last starting QB was a walk on and is the school record holder for many stats but most importantly wins, currently on Vikings PS. WR Alex Erickson is the starting returner for Cincinnati. WR Jared Abbrederris was on the Packers for a few seasons and likely still would be if he could've stayed healthy. Browns OLB Joe Schobert is a rookie 4th Rd pick. Their #1 TE right now is a former walk-on and will be an NFL TE no doubt. Those are just a few of several examples.

Don't be so quick to hate on walk-ons. It's the EXACT same scenario as UDFAs being NFL starters just earlier on in the career. Miami just doesn't have a great WO program due to high cost of private school tuition. So just bc we have so few that actually turn out to be contributors, people dismiss them right away.

Advertisement

There are exceptions, and there are rules. Renfrow is the exception. No way most anyone cares about "walk-on recruiting". You can pretty much assume these guys end up on the scout team their whole careers 99.9% of the time.

Depends on the school and the culture. Badgers have put more walk-ons in the NFL than some teams have players overall. SFT Jim Leonhard, played for Ravens, Jets, Bills and Browns. Their last starting QB was a walk on and is the school record holder for many stats but most importantly wins, currently on Vikings PS. WR Alex Erickson is the starting returner for Cincinnati. WR Jared Abbrederris was on the Packers for a few seasons and likely still would be if he could've stayed healthy. Browns OLB Joe Schobert is a rookie 4th Rd pick. Their #1 TE right now is a former walk-on and will be an NFL TE no doubt. Those are just a few of several examples.

Don't be so quick to hate on walk-ons. It's the EXACT same scenario as UDFAs being NFL starters just earlier on in the career. Miami just doesn't have a great WO program due to high cost of private school tuition. So just bc we have so few that actually turn out to be contributors, people dismiss them right away.

Read my other quotes in the thread. I specifically said I'm not hating on them. Just that it's a long shot with them, especially at a private school like you point out, and I'm right about that. Each year the last decade we have brought in a gaggle of WO. Only one or two have seen any significant time. I remember a number of PWO that were brought in under Golden that some people got worked up about, but none of them ended up actually playing. I am wrong on one thing. There are obviously a few more people than I though who are interested in these guys recruitment.

Read my other quotes in the thread. I specifically said I'm not hating on them. Just that it's a long shot with them, especially at a private school like you point out, and I'm right about that. Each year the last decade we have brought in a gaggle of WO. Only one or two have seen any significant time. I remember a number of PWO that were brought in under Golden that some people got worked up about, but none of them ended up actually playing. I am wrong on one thing. There are obviously a few more people than I though who are interested in these guys recruitment.

I posted to your first response before reading the rest of the thread. But here's a distinction for you: Golden's coal shoveling WOs vs who Richt wants to walk on...

Advertisement
Refresh my memory please....how is a PWO different from a regular WO?

They are guaranteed a spot on the team and get some help with admissions into the school.

Thanks, but what about financially?

what about financially? They are not scholarship athletes and that would be a huge red flag with NCAA compliance. NCAA rules prohibit preferred walk ons from receiving almost all forms of institutional financial aid if they are involved in a revenue generating sport.

Advertisement
Back