Tyson Helton for OC

Wasn't the ILB coach at UGA rumored to be coming here?

He's the new DC at north Texas. They have another guy by the name of Kevin sherrer the olb coach at Uga who was going to be the DC at Fsu after Pruitt left for Uga but he was close with Pruitt so he coached under him there.

Advertisement
Either way I don't think you pay either of those guys $1 million plus...

I think Helton would be great, he is in my top 3 along with Sean Lewis and Bill Legg.

Doesn't really matter who the OC is, Richt will be calling the plays. In that case keep Coley in that capacity, if nothing else just for recruiting purposes.

Wasn't the ILB coach at UGA rumored to be coming here?

He's the new DC at north Texas. They have another guy by the name of Kevin sherrer the olb coach at Uga who was going to be the DC at Fsu after Pruitt left for Uga but he was close with Pruitt so he coached under him there.

Kevin Sherrer has experience as a DC at South Alabama. He might be worth a shot at DC, but would probably be cheaper than a Mil$ He makes $350K at GA.

Advertisement
The next DC will be the ILB coach and some one has the skill sets to coach the whole team if necessary. ..experienced.. and will get the big money... 1 mil plus. OC 600 thousand Maybe..

Gonna throw out a guess based on nothing - Kevin Steele.

Based on that salary suggested and specificity of the position he'll coach, that's a legit guess!

He's making $1MM at LSU, and has a buyout of 20% of his salary. With Miles being on shaky ground, Steele might want to go someplace with a more stable situation to finish his career. He's experienced with the ACC and SEC ...

Of course, he's also the DC who gave up 70 points in a bowl game to WVU and Dana Holgorsen, where he (literally) couldn't stop 1 play the entire game ...

True but he does fit the mold of what Richt seems to be looking for philosophically - and ****, WVU game notwithstanding, the man can coach. AND recruit. It'd be a **** of a hire IMO.

I don't study coaches, or much of anything, but if memory serves me, this guy likes complicated defense. If that is true, I want nothing to do with him. we just went through that crap. Old Cane defenses were fairly simple and thus allowed every bit of speed available with no loss for thinking. Plus, isn't he converting LSU to a 3 -4 defesne?

The next DC will be the ILB coach and some one has the skill sets to coach the whole team if necessary. ..experienced.. and will get the big money... 1 mil plus. OC 600 thousand Maybe..

Based on that salary suggested and specificity of the position he'll coach, that's a legit guess!

He's making $1MM at LSU, and has a buyout of 20% of his salary. With Miles being on shaky ground, Steele might want to go someplace with a more stable situation to finish his career. He's experienced with the ACC and SEC ...

Of course, he's also the DC who gave up 70 points in a bowl game to WVU and Dana Holgorsen, where he (literally) couldn't stop 1 play the entire game ...

True but he does fit the mold of what Richt seems to be looking for philosophically - and ****, WVU game notwithstanding, the man can coach. AND recruit. It'd be a **** of a hire IMO.

I don't study coaches, or much of anything, but if memory serves me, this guy likes complicated defense. If that is true, I want nothing to do with him. we just went through that crap. Old Cane defenses were fairly simple and thus allowed every bit of speed available with no loss for thinking. Plus, isn't he converting LSU to a 3 -4 defesne?

Doesn't Jim Leavitt coach LB's somewhere? Is he known as an ILB coach? That's what it do mane.

Here's an article I found from when Steele was hired at LSU: LSU’s defense under Kevin Steele still remains somewhat of a mystery | The Advocate — Baton Rouge, Louisiana

According to that, looks like he was trying to simplify things while still using multiple fronts. He used 4-3, 3-4, and 4-2-5 fronts at LSU. Read another piece that said while the previous DC (Chavis?) liked to give ground between the 20s and wait for mistakes, Steele preferred to try and win the line of scrimmage.

Here's another good overview of Steele's career and potential philosophy: LSU Football: New DC Kevin Steele Faces Tough Situation | Bleacher Report

Doesn't Jim Leavitt coach LB's somewhere? Is he known as an ILB coach? That's what it do mane.

Leavitt is the DC at Colorado.

Advertisement

Exactly the way I see it going down. We are going to spend whatever we have to spend to get a monster DC who can pretty much be the HC of the defense.

When your HC is also going to be calling plays he needs someone on the other side of the ball who he trusts absolutely and who can be a pretty much autonomous guy with the D.

The DC is going to be a monster. I just know it based on all the factors I've mentioned since Richt was hired.

Steele has had a checkered career. Isn't he the guy that Kevin Greene tried to kill when he Steele was coaching in the NFL?

Here's an article I found from when Steele was hired at LSU: LSU’s defense under Kevin Steele still remains somewhat of a mystery | The Advocate — Baton Rouge, Louisiana

According to that, looks like he was trying to simplify things while still using multiple fronts. He used 4-3, 3-4, and 4-2-5 fronts at LSU. Read another piece that said while the previous DC (Chavis?) liked to give ground between the 20s and wait for mistakes, Steele preferred to try and win the line of scrimmage.

Here's another good overview of Steele's career and potential philosophy: LSU Football: New DC Kevin Steele Faces Tough Situation | Bleacher Report

Without reading everything, 3 different fronts sounds like Al's "multiple" crap. "We'll play our base defense and you try to beat us" was the core of Miami's old defenses. Speed was to make up for mistakes while it created havoc in opponents backfield causing their mistakes. We are the only school with access to enough talent and speed to run one like that. Noles got close but still could not match it. The key was and still is the right DTs. Without those two grizzle bears pushing the oline back on top of the RBs and QB, it will not work. The right MLB is on the way this year. Need one of those old Miami safeties too. Strong up the middle is needed.

Without reading everything, 3 different fronts sounds like Al's "multiple" crap. "We'll play our base defense and you try to beat us" was the core of Miami's old defenses. Speed was to make up for mistakes while it created havoc in opponents backfield causing their mistakes. We are the only school with access to enough talent and speed to run one like that. Noles got close but still could not match it. The key was and still is the right DTs. Without those two grizzle bears pushing the oline back on top of the RBs and QB, it will not work. The right MLB is on the way this year. Need one of those old Miami safeties too. Strong up the middle is needed.

That was before a large amount of FL talent left Florida. Now top qb in state leaving, best LB leaving, best WR leaving, best DE leaving, best te leaving, 2nd wr leaving, etc... thats just looking at Rivals 100.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back