Typical Miami Luck

Yes, the ref seemingly based his call on how badly he missed the shot. It was such a late whistle.

Advertisement
Tough loss. But a tip of the cap to Coach L and that young team for the NIT run. Resilient bunch, man, they keep fighting. I hadn't seen them play all year, I turned on the Richmond game and they're doing the "Celtic Weave" up top. I hadn't seen that in 50 years. I was watching basketball again. ****. Had me hooked.

Bad call sure...but being down double digits and stupid turnovers did not help...we were short handed and that hurt as well..

Oh well...

Bad call sure...but being down double digits and stupid turnovers did not help...we were short handed and that hurt as well..

Oh well...

Exactly. You can't consistently trail by double-digits and expect to keep winning games. The slow start(s) is what really killed us. However, losing a championship on a call like that never feels good. Let's hope this doesn't do to our basketball program what that pass interference call did to our football program.....

But really....how is Miami so cursed?

Horrible, late call. I also thought the guy traveled on that layup he hit, which I think put them within two (it might've been the play before the bad foul call). That said, we got a ton of calls too and even had a chance to win at the end because of one that was debateably flipped in our favor (I agree it was off Stanford, but don't think there was conclusive enough evidence to switch it).

Really tough loss considering how hard our guys fought and the injuries we dealt with from the start.

Looking forward to next year. Larranaga is the best coach around.

Advertisement
Once again the refs ***** us over.

Mods excuse me for my language, but that might be the worst ****ing call ive seen in a while.

Haven't seen a call that late and that bad since January of 2003.

Bummed.

Sad how we all go back to that moment. Similar, the call is made after ball hits the ground and some contemplation occurs. Pure garbage.

**** of a year for a team first time playing together. As a Cane hard not to expect such things.

Great game. Did everything they could to get inside but couldn't finish against the bigs.
The foul on Randle at the end of regulation was a killer. They had opportunities in overtime but didn't convert. That's basketball.
I don't think Rodriguez or Jakiri would have made a difference. The kids played as hard as they could.
They should have really grown together during this tournament. Should carry over to next year.
They just need a go to consistent shot maker.
I hope the football team was watching and saw the effort and desire it takes to be a champion.

GO CANES!!!!!

When it comes to basketball, I am a firm believer in making your own luck.

Up 1, 12 seconds left. This is an absolutely prime moment for Sheldon or Reed to drive to the hoop and FORCE the refs to make a call. You must stay aggressive and the players who carried you to OT and the lead must bear the responsibility of winning or losing. That's what basketball is. You don't give the ball up and ask a freshman who has shown wildly erratic play all season to decide your season.

Giving the ball to Burnett was a disastrous decision. Soon as the ball went wide, I said to myself, this kid is going to chuck a terrible shot, and if he misses and we don't board, we are going to lose somehow. I mean, anything but that would have been a better choice. I'd have been happier seeing Uceda chuck a 25 footer, because he has a reasonable chance at making it. DB literally should have been the last player to touch the ball in that situation.

So, yeah, I'm more disappointed that our team leaders shrunk from the moment than the ref making a screwy call. Bad calls happen all the time in CBB. We benefited from an absolutely terrible call too, as the ball went off Sherman's hand (you can see his finger turn backwards from the ball glancing off) but we got a final possession anyway. That's the equivalent of catching a ball and getting 2 feet inbounds, yet calling it incomplete. Also, McClellan missed a FT, and that ended up costing us too. There's plenty other moments you can point at that cost us this game.

I just don't have any time for blaming a ****** college ref for getting baited into a foul call when we had the opportunity to seal the game ourselves, but completely blew it. That was where I wish we had Angel, because everybody else got scared of the moment.

Advertisement
When it comes to basketball, I am a firm believer in making your own luck.

Up 1, 12 seconds left. This is an absolutely prime moment for Sheldon or Reed to drive to the hoop and FORCE the refs to make a call. You must stay aggressive and the players who carried you to OT and the lead must bear the responsibility of winning or losing. That's what basketball is. You don't give the ball up and ask a freshman who has shown wildly erratic play all season to decide your season.

Giving the ball to Burnett was a disastrous decision. Soon as the ball went wide, I said to myself, this kid is going to chuck a terrible shot, and if he misses and we don't board, we are going to lose somehow. I mean, anything but that would have been a better choice. I'd have been happier seeing Uceda chuck a 25 footer, because he has a reasonable chance at making it. DB literally should have been the last player to touch the ball in that situation.

So, yeah, I'm more disappointed that our team leaders shrunk from the moment than the ref making a screwy call. Bad calls happen all the time in CBB. We benefited from an absolutely terrible call too, as the ball went off Sherman's hand (you can see his finger turn backwards from the ball glancing off) but we got a final possession anyway. That's the equivalent of catching a ball and getting 2 feet inbounds, yet calling it incomplete. Also, McClellan missed a FT, and that ended up costing us too. There's plenty other moments you can point at that cost us this game.

I just don't have any time for blaming a ****ty college ref for getting baited into a foul call when we had the opportunity to seal the game ourselves, but completely blew it. That was where I wish we had Angel, because everybody else got scared of the moment.

I definitely agree with your point on the play that Sheldon made to kick the ball out to Burnett. I honestly think that one of the biggest things that Sheldon needs to work on is being more assertive offensively. While he was more aggressive in the 2nd half, he was a complete non-factor in the first half. Too often it seems like he'll settle for a step back jumper off of a crossover instead of attacking the basket more, and several times last night he got into the paint and kicked it out to a shooter outside the 3 point line where it looked like he could have tried to finish.

I've got to say that Burnett to me is someone that needs a more limited role. Early in the season I couldn't figure out why we weren't playing him more, based on what I'd heard about him, but after seeing him play, I think he seems to be a guy that more frequently makes the bad play or takes the bad shot. He's not a good perimeter shooter, so he's not the guy I want standing outside the 3 point line waiting for the ball to be kicked out. He's a streaky, volume scorer who can be great when he's on and a disaster when he's off. I think too many times this year he's jacked up bad shots or made negative plays, always looking to score, and given the depth we will have in the backcourt/wing, I think he's going to have a tough time getting PT.

Sheldon's other problem is he doesn't have great handles for being a tweener guard/SF. He's got the size and athleticism, and decent dribbling ability. If he had better handle, he would still be at Texas (or a bigger power program) because he would be unguardable.

Great game. Did everything they could to get inside but couldn't finish against the bigs.
The foul on Randle at the end of regulation was a killer. They had opportunities in overtime but didn't convert. That's basketball.
I don't think Rodriguez or Jakiri would have made a difference. The kids played as hard as they could.
They should have really grown together during this tournament. Should carry over to next year.
They just need a go to consistent shot maker.
I hope the football team was watching and saw the effort and desire it takes to be a champion.

GO CANES!!!!!

I completely disagree. We couldn't rebound and they drove to the hole at will on us whenever it mattered. With Jekiri playing we would have won by double digits.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back