Tyler Van Dyke Opens Up About Challenges and Mindset ahead of Louisville game

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Screenshot 2023-10-10 160657.png

Miami Hurricanes quarterback Tyler Van Dyke candidly discussed the ups and downs of his season, reflecting on his performance, injuries, and mental fortitude amidst the pressures of college football.

Van Dyke, back in his starting role after Freshman Emory Williams got the nod in Tallahassee last week, acknowledged the inconsistencies in the passing offense since the ACC schedule began. "We did throw the ball pretty well in some games like against Georgia Tech and North Carolina," he said, but admitted that self-inflicted mistakes had been costly. Emphasizing resilience, Van Dyke remarked, "You're not going to play your best every game. It's all about how you respond."

Addressing his physical condition, Van Dyke confirmed he is nearing full recovery from various injuries. "That's football," he stated, refusing to use his ailments as an excuse. He also touched upon the mental aspect of the game, particularly the challenge of not starting against FSU and then being thrust into the action after Williams’ injury on the final drive. "It's tough, obviously all of the guys in the quarterback room want to play...but that's just the nature of college football," heexplained, highlighting his supportive role for teammate Emory during that period.

On the topic of criticism and expectations, Van Dyke showed maturity and understanding of his role as a quarterback at a high-profile university like Miami. "The expectation is high and if you don't play well, you're going to get a lot of that," he acknowledged, adding that he stays away from social media platforms like Instagram and Twitter to maintain focus.

Delving deeper into his mental process, Tyler revealed his reliance on family, friends, and a sports psychologist for support. "In tough times, I always have my family to lean on," he said, crediting them, along with professional guidance, for helping him maintain a positive mindset.

Reflecting on his journey, Tyler admitted to pressing too hard at times to jump-start the passing game. "Sometimes you play good defenses, or you try to force the ball into tight windows," he noted, underscoring the need for smarter decisions with the football.

The Hurricanes' quarterback also touched on the importance of learning from tough experiences. "Maybe that was the life lesson God was trying to teach me," he mused, talking about finding gratitude even when things don't go as planned.

Advertisement
Advertisement
He clearly is going through something by the last statement. I pray for the Kid and i will root for him until hes gone. Lets hope he snaps out of whatever it is that is and has ben bothering him. he does we win out. also I hope JB gets some burn. want to see his progression.

This might be good to end with. We need him to play well to help with interest and he needs to play well for Miami where we can show a future portal guy we don’t kill qb’s. On top of that we win games to end with some momentum . Both parties need each other.

Advertisement
This might be good to end with. We need him to play well to help with interest and he needs to play well for Miami where we can show a future portal guy we don’t kill qb’s. On top of that we win games to end with some momentum . Both parties need each other.
It is really as simple as that...

There is hope left to finish 8-4 vs. 6-6 so preferably people will pull their heads out of their asses and put us in a position to do that...

Let’s go TVD bring us the W’s!

Last edited:
Feel bad for him actually. The fall from being a top 10 future NFL QB to this has to be mentally burtal. I know this board hates that hes not a rah rah guy but hes not some ****y dbag either, seems like a solid dude just quiet. Hope he turns it around. A W against UL would be huge for the program and himself.

Advertisement
Wish him the best the next couple of games and in his future endeavors.
Hope he gets figured out whatever his issue is.

I'm looking forward to the TVD era being over and hopefully getting a QB that is at least serviceable and somewhat consistent.

Advertisement
He clearly is going through something by the last statement. I pray for the Kid and i will root for him until hes gone. Lets hope he snaps out of whatever it is that is and has ben bothering him. he does we win out. also I hope JB gets some burn. want to see his progression.
During the GT game they talked about him seeing sports psychologist. Kind of weird time that they brought that up then and he starts shutting the bed. Couple that with the reported self scouting, tendency stuff that they talked about as well during the GT game…Idk.

youtube fashion GIF

Advertisement
Back