Tyler Davis 2019 DT Talks 1st Miami visit on Jr Day

Paranos

All-ACC
Link to Article
https://www.diehards.com/miami/miami-football-recruiting-tyler-davis-updates-visit

All-America DT Tyler Davis has Miami high on list after first visit

ORLANDO, Fla. — After an earlier planned visit to Miami had to be called off on short notice, Tyler Davis finally made his way to Coral Gables, Fla., on Saturday for the Hurricanes’ junior day event.

Accompanied by two teammates from Wekiva High School in Apopka, Fla., Davis began the day by watching Miami practice at Greentree Practice Fields. Above all else, the chance to watch the Hurricanes in action stood out to the 4-star defensive tackle.

“Their practice, it was lit. A lot of energy. I really like that,” Davis told DieHards on Sunday at William R. Boone High School. “Never that much energy at a practice, I’ve never seen it.”

With defensive line shaping up to be a priority for Miami in the Class of 2019, Davis finds himself near the top of the Hurricanes’ wish list. The 6-foot-2, 280-pound rising senior sits at No. 18 at his position in the 247Sports composite rankings and he’s an even better fit for a team like Miami, which runs a 4-3 defense. What Davis lacks in size, he makes up for with speed and by using his leverage efficiently.

The defensive lineman has been a standout on the camp circuit this offseason, earning defensive line MVP at The Opening Miami regional in February and following it up with another good day at Dr. Norton Baker Stadium in Orlando. Davis dominated virtually every rep he took at the Under Armour All-America Camp and earned an invitation to the Under Armour All-America Game.

Davis’ fast-rising profile will make him a tough prospect for the Hurricanes to land. Ohio State has been a major suitor since Davis visited Columbus in November, and the defensive tackle just visited Florida on Jan. 26. He also holds Clemson in high esteem after visiting March 2 and likes Texas A&M after the Aggies offered Feb. 21.

While he doesn’t claim a formal top group, Davis has Miami on an informal short list of schools he’s heavily considering.

“They’re high on my list,” Davis said.

Saturday also presented Davis’ first chance to really get to know Jess Simpson. The new defensive line coach took over with the Hurricanes on March 2, about a month after Miami offered Davis. The defensive lineman had spoken to Simpson on the phone, but this was his first chance to meet Simpson, and Davis came away impressed.

“He’s a good guy, great coach. Really family oriented, really a teacher,” Davis said. “I really liked him.”

Davis isn’t sure what’s next in terms of visits, although he wants to return to South Florida in the summer with 4-star outside linebacker Rian Davis and 3-star cornerback Renardo Green, the two Wekiva teammates who visited with him Saturday. Offseason official visits are a possibility for the defensive tackle, who plans to make a decision early this season.

Nothing is set in stone yet, but the Tigers and Buckeyes are currently in good shape.

“It’s still in the air,” Davis said. “I think I want to take one to Clemson and Ohio State.”

Advertisement
Brown, Daxon, Davis, Sorrells would be an insane haul. Let Ingraham come in at DE, then maybe give him the Bethel treatment and keep tabs on Hunter/a couple others in case Davis/Sorrells don't commit.

I like Hunter too because of his size and we need another 6'5" 300+ DT to throw at teams. We can't assume we going to get guys solely by visits and kind words. Hunter having been committed earlier may be the easier of the uncommitted DT's (Davis, Sorrells) to get.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Love to have this guy. Imagine a One two punch him and Nesta! I know that OSU supposedly leads but at least this visit shows that he is seriously considering us.

Hopefully this visit did enough to bring him back down for paradise. is he camping today or was the visit just one day?

I like Hunter too because of his size and we need another 6'5" 300+ DT to throw at teams. We can't assume we going to get guys solely by visits and kind words. Hunter having been committed earlier may be the easier of the uncommitted DT's (Davis, Sorrells) to get.

Something tells me Hunter will end up like Keef Bryant or Travonte Valentine.

Advertisement
Sounds like the door is still open a crack anyway.

He'd look good on our DL.

One day visit with parents. Stayed 6 hours, including going to dinner with Simpson close to campus.

edit: said he is coming to Paradise. according to TOS, staff believes he will.

Advertisement
Coach Simpson hit it off with Davis’ dad. And Clemson/Ohio State still look like too 2, but if he wants to stay in state then Miami is looking in the best shape of the big 3.

Advertisement
Back