Tyler Boyd charged with DUI

Why don't college's have lawyers to counsel these guys on what to do if they are pulled over?

Why the **** would top college football player take a breathalyzer? Just refuse it and lose your license for a while. BFD.

That DUI stays with you for life.

Paying for these kids' lawyer sounds like an impermissible benefit to me..

Why can't it be free from the law school or something? A required class for all athletes. There is always a way.

The majority of colleges and Universities in the US do not have law schools, and MAYBE half of D1 schools do. So maybe the answer is to just tell your kids not to drink and drive... crazy I know.

So now you're telling me that Pitt doesn't have a law school.

Advertisement
Why don't college's have lawyers to counsel these guys on what to do if they are pulled over?

Why the **** would top college football player take a breathalyzer? Just refuse it and lose your license for a while. BFD.

That DUI stays with you for life.

Why can't it be free from the law school or something? A required class for all athletes. There is always a way.

The majority of colleges and Universities in the US do not have law schools, and MAYBE half of D1 schools do. So maybe the answer is to just tell your kids not to drink and drive... crazy I know.

No... I'm telling you that quite a few D1 schools do not, and therefore that a class taught to D1 athletes by law schools is not only a terrible idea, but would also not work for a large group of schools in the country. I'm also saying that would be a giant ethics issue teaching student-athletes how to avoid getting in trouble after they have already done something wrong. You would literally have public tax dollars (at state schools) going toward teaching people how to avoid a crime that they legitimately committed, when the real issue is that this kid was drinking and driving in the first place. Here is a better idea. Pat Narduzzi gets his whole team in a conference room, and says the following: "Don't break the law."

No... I'm telling you that quite a few D1 schools do not, and therefore that a class taught to D1 athletes by law schools is not only a terrible idea, but would also not work for a large group of schools in the country. I'm also saying that would be a giant ethics issue teaching student-athletes how to avoid getting in trouble after they have already done something wrong. You would literally have public tax dollars (at state schools) going toward teaching people how to avoid a crime that they legitimately committed, when the real issue is that this kid was drinking and driving in the first place. Here is a better idea. Pat Narduzzi gets his whole team in a conference room, and says the following: "Don't break the law."

Who said it had to be mandated by the NCAA for every school in the country? I'm just stating that If I happened to have at my disposal as an AD some great legal minds then I might want to use their experience and expertise to help my student athletes understand some of the nuances of dealing with officesr of the law and the legal system.

FFS stop trying to turn it into rocket surgery.

I didn't know that. Thanks for correcting what I thought they could do. It sounds like I need to ask my lawyer friend what to do although I hope at 40 I'm past being in that position.

It's simple: Do not consent to taking any FSEs (walking the line, horizontal nystagmus, etc.) or to blowing. If they want you to do an FSE, you are probably getting f'ed no matter what the results are, so it's in your best interest to just refuse. Hire a lawyer and hopefully beat it at trial. The police never have your best interest in mind.

Advertisement
Back