Two weeks to prepare

AlexCane

Senior
I hate repetitive threads, but bear with me. I'm posting through the grief. Gotta get this off my chest.

TVD was injured two weeks ago. Anyone with a brain knows that a QB with an injury to his throwing shoulder is a big problem. You can be optimistic, but you got to plan for the likelihood that he won't play for weeks or months or even the rest of the season. So, what did Gattis do the past two weeks to prepare for this? Let's find out.

Last week, Jake started. Presumably he's the backup, right? Vanilla game plan. None of us were happy with the offensive output, but that's understandable. Tough to adjust to a backup QB with a sole week to prepare. No OC wants to be in that position. I get it.

Fast forward, Florida State week. You now have a second week to prepare for the likelihood of an offense without your starter. So what do we see?

Total confusion. Is Jake the backup or is it Jacurri? I don't know. The staff doesn't either. Then you have the rotation between Jake and Jacurri. Unexplainable. Then, add to that that it was apparently decided to entirely scrap the passing game in favor of a one-dimensional running attack. We went backwards in week 2.

Let's compare this to Lashlee. Lashlee suffered a similar fate with his QB last year. What did we do in his second week following King's injury? 42 points on the road against UNC. Outgained UNC 421-382. 8/16 on 3d down. And if not for a bad bounce on the tipped ball, in position to either tie or win. I wasn't a huge Lash fan, but the man coached his *** off. He had buy-in from the kids.

Gattis on the other hand has gone into a shell and has decided to run a one-dimensional running attack that everyone on this team knows is not equipped to do anything more than maybe 10 points on a good day. You can't even tell me he's trying to score. He's quit on this offense, he's quit on this team, he's quit on this program. This is a bad, bad fit.

Advertisement
Harris is the worst offensive coordinator I've ever seen. However, guy is apparently the best con artist ever, props to him for that i guess.

I hate repetitive threads, but bear with me. I'm posting through the grief. Gotta get this off my chest.

TVD was injured two weeks ago. Anyone with a brain knows that a QB with an injury to his throwing shoulder is a big problem. You can be optimistic, but you got to plan for the likelihood that he won't play for weeks or months or even the rest of the season. So, what did Gattis do the past two weeks to prepare for this? Let's find out.

Last week, Jake started. Presumably he's the backup, right? Vanilla game plan. None of us were happy with the offensive output, but that's understandable. Tough to adjust to a backup QB with a sole week to prepare. No OC wants to be in that position. I get it.

Fast forward, Florida State week. You now have a second week to prepare for the likelihood of an offense without your starter. So what do we see?

Total confusion. Is Jake the backup or is it Jacurri? I don't know. The staff doesn't either. Then you have the rotation between Jake and Jacurri. Unexplainable. Then, add to that that it was apparently decided to entirely scrap the passing game in favor of a one-dimensional running attack. We went backwards in week 2.

Let's compare this to Lashlee. Lashlee suffered a similar fate with his QB last year. What did we do in his second week following King's injury? 42 points on the road against UNC. Outgained UNC 421-382. 8/16 on 3d down. And if not for a bad bounce on the tipped ball, in position to either tie or win. I wasn't a huge Lash fan, but the man coached his *** off. He had buy-in from the kids.

Gattis on the other hand has gone into a shell and has decided to run a one-dimensional running attack that everyone on this team knows is not equipped to do anything more than maybe 10 points on a good day. You can't even tell me he's trying to score. He's quit on this offense, he's quit on this team, he's quit on this program. This is a bad, bad fit.

The offense out of half was something…

I completely agree, Alex. We were actively discussing this in the stadium during the "game."

On the opening drive, down 7-0 we put in a true freshman QB, not just for the 3rd and short but kept him in there. On the opening drive. This was before TVD went out injured. Craziness.

Then to put Jake Garcia into the game on 3rd and long with his back to the end zone when everyone in the stadium knew it was a passing play was a fireable offense. This is incompetence of the highest level. And then to bench him after he throws a desperation pick was even worse. Garcia should have come out the next series and been given a short, simple throw. Just horrible.

Gattis should be terminated TODAY.

Advertisement

Couldn't agree more. This game was so telling about both Gattis & Ponce. Once TVD went down, the QB room proved a mess. Garcia has regressed to the point where he's not playable. Brown is athletic & showed more guts than the rest of the clowns on the field with him, but he's not ready to be on the field. Then, the rotation between the two made no sense.

Advertisement

I think we all agreed that we don't have a good OC already. Mario at best is a CEO type like Dabo. Dabo was about to get fired before he made his hires and now he looks like he is going down again. They both are incredibly dependent on their hires.

I think we all agreed that we don't have a good OC already. Mario at best is a CEO type like Dabo. Dabo was about to get fired before he made his hires and now he looks like he is going down again. They both are incredibly dependent on their hires.
I hear you. I am just stunned to see a coordinator basically put his hands up in the air and say, I got nothing. Because that's what that Saturday felt like. This just feels like coaching negligence.

Advertisement
I hear you. I am just stunned to see a coordinator basically put his hands up in the air and say, I got nothing. Because that's what that Saturday felt like. This just feels like coaching negligence.
The rumors were correct about Harabaugh and the other guy they hired from the Ravens helping Gattis out. That's pretty obvious now and Mario isn't the kind of Coach that can help.

I honestly believe he's trying.... and I don't think he's quit. I just don't think he's capable of adapting his system to what his talent can actually do. I don't think he has the "chops" to come up with something different, that the players would believe in and that would work. If you're a good coach, you can find SOMETHING that they can do well. It may not result in wins, per say, but it will at least look like you have a **** clue! We look incompetent, at best. A total **** show, at worst. He's definitely not a "do more with less" type of coach. His arrogance has led to his undoing, here. A good coach can find something that works. He lost these kids the day he proclaimed them "the worst football players that he's ever seen". It was something to that effect. I remember one of our players' moms tweeting about it. The "smartest guy in the room" types don't cut it here. It also makes it harder when there's not total buy in from the players. I can't blame the kids when you go from 35ppg one year to barely 20ppg the very next season. Our kids don't believe in this system. Kids can smell a fraud a mile away. If he's got any sense, he better be polishing up that resume, and looking for his next gig. This thing is probably not gonna get any better without TVD. You can't have total buy in from players and go out and hang 3pts vs your biggest rival. The same rival that a lot of our kids saw us drop half a hunnid on, just 2 years prior.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Gattis will be gone guys

It sucks that he was here for year 1, and is delaying the rebuild

But he will be gone by Jan 31, very likely sooner

How about TVD starting game in rythmn picking up first downs only to get pulled after a completion to pick up the 1st to put in Jacurri? I’m all for a 2 qb system with an athletic freak but it needs to have cohesion. Mullen was terrible with it to end his UF career and Gattis appears even worse.

Advertisement
Back