Two thoughts/questions about today re: our coaches

Pretty much everything that can be said about the season (or last decade, for that matter), has already been said. But on the day after one of the worst performances I've seen by a Canes team, two thoughts/questions come to mind related to the decision makers and their ability to actually make decisions.

1. Regarding Donna's comments about this essentially being Golden's first year: even if this was Golden's first year at Miami, shouldn't we have seen enough to know he doesn't have what it takes to make this program elite? All the evidence is there from this year, we don't have to look at his full tenure (though that doesn't help his cause). Every decent opponent beat us by double digits. We were more talented than every opponent except one, yet lost 6 games. Two inferior opponents beat us by double digits, one at home. The team clearly quit the last two weeks, which is a terrible indictment on a head coach. We were badly outscored in every second half of our losses. Even in games where scheme adjustments were blatantly obvious to even the most casual football watchers, fixes were not put in place. There's more but I'll stop there, as many of the sports writers and folks on here have already made the case. If all that is not enough evidence that Golden and his staff are not the right coaches, then what more is needed? First year, fourth year, or 20th year?

2. Regarding no assistant coaches being relieved of their duties today: if Blake James has put staff decisions in Golden's hands, why has Golden not made changes today? What else needs to be analyzed to get rid of this defensive staff? Sure, some of the defensive "rankings" improved this year vs last, but that's not the real story, and anyone who watched our games knows that. We got run up and down the field by every decent team we faced. Personally I think Golden needs to go because I agree with everyone who says this is his defense, but if he's not going to get fired, why hasn't he begun making changes? The analysis was clear well before last night. He should have been prepared to make the move immediately to begin the process of finding a real replacement and letting that person get integrated into the team and out on the recruiting trail. You saw Sumlin and Malzahn both make changes immediately. That's the type of decisiveness a true head coach should have. My ONLY hope about this delay is that Blake has told Al to hold off on making changes because he is still unsure of Golden's status. Otherwise, there's no excuse.

Advertisement
No assistant coaches being relieved today by Golden, as Golden doesn't know if HE has a job or not.

I think not.

So does Golden.

Advertisement
Back