Two things I'd like to see Lashlee focus on right now

terdferguson

Junior
1. Help King regain his confidence. That Clemson game rattled him. Remember the King against Louisville and FSU that was sustaining long drives with deadly short/medium range accuracy? Every time he dropped back I felt like something good was going to happen. Hadn't felt like that about one of our qbs in forever. Now, not so much. Even short passes are an adventure. Throw to the tes, rbs, whatever it takes. Script some drives with short passes to help King regain his mojo.

2. As has been noted, Lashlee has schemed his way to some long td plays. He's used plays early in the game to set up later plays that went for touchdowns. We all love this. Now he needs to scheme his way to some first downs and there's no reason why he can't. I watched a lot of nfl games this past weekend and every single one that I saw featured plays with picks or rub routes. Last night I watched the Cardinals line up with a 3 wr bunch set. All the wrs zigged and zagged different directions and Deandre Hopkins defender got lost in the crowd. The result was a wide open Hopkins and a 60 yard gain. Teams want to man up outside? Fine, run some rub routes to get guys free for some easy first downs.

Advertisement
1. Help King regain his confidence. That Clemson game rattled him. Remember the King against Louisville and FSU that was sustaining long drives with deadly short/medium range accuracy? Every time he dropped back I felt like something good was going to happen. Hadn't felt like that about one of our qbs in forever. Now, not so much. Even short passes are an adventure. Throw to the tes, rbs, whatever it takes. Script some drives with short passes to help King regain his mojo.

THIS. Early in the season, I felt as good on 1st and 10 as I did on 3rd and pick your yardage. He was zipping the ball all over the field with authority, and we got whatever we needed when we needed it. That’s disappeared the past two games and makes all the difference.

Need to get him going early and build up his confidence. We’re a completely different O when he’s on point like that. Everything clicks.

Advertisement
Not sure it’s a confidence issue as much as it was an issue of playing against much better defenses. Clemson and Pitt are both ranked in the national top 10 total defenses. Louisville and FSU? Not so much. I’m predicting a much better performance against a not as great Virginia defense this week.

I am all for running more pick/rub type plays but it’s not easy to run short routes over the middle with a quarterback who can’t see over the line. We need to get some passing lanes open. The Harley touchdown was out of a bunch formation where the defenders got confused on who to cover though and Harley was wide open so they do have some of that stuff available

Not sure it’s a confidence issue as much as it was an issue of playing against much better defenses. Clemson and Pitt are both ranked in the national top 10 total defenses. Louisville and FSU? Not so much. I’m predicting a much better performance against a not as great Virginia defense this week.

I am all for running more pick/rub type plays but it’s not easy to run short routes over the middle with a quarterback who can’t see over the line. We need to get some passing lanes open. The Harley touchdown was out of a bunch formation where the defenders got confused on who to cover though and Harley was wide open so they do have some of that stuff available
I'm sure that's part of it. But I think it's a confidence thing too because against Pitt, King missed uncontested swing passes to rbs and other short passes that should have been layups. He didn't miss stuff like that earlier in the season.

Last edited:

2. As has been noted, Lashlee has schemed his way to some long td plays. He's used plays early in the game to set up later plays that went for touchdowns. We all love this. Now he needs to scheme his way to some first downs and there's no reason why he can't. I watched a lot of nfl games this past weekend and every single one that I saw featured plays with picks or rub routes. Last night I watched the Cardinals line up with a 3 wr bunch set. All the wrs zigged and zagged different directions and Deandre Hopkins defender got lost in the crowd. The result was a wide open Hopkins and a 60 yard gain. Teams want to man up outside? Fine, run some rub routes to get guys free for some easy first downs.

King likes going to Brevin but he's been out. I would like to see the running backs in the flat. They tried last week but I can tell it's not something they have practiced alot.

Advertisement
1. More shallow cross concepts, please. King has to hit on these from an accuracy standpoint, but it's one possible answer to the lack of respect teams will show our WRs.

2. Mallory scheme matchups beyond the "gotcha" play(s). On the Harley TD, Mallory was also down the seam. Would love to establish someone who can get us out of 3rd and medium.

3. More route combinations underneath Vertical routes. Use Wiggins' speed, Smith's speed, Pope's straight line speed. Bring Payton, Redding and others underneath those routes. The upcoming teams don't have the DLs of the last two opponents. You can even keep Harris in to block.

I think Lashlee has to make it clear to King -- if nothing is there, and you can get 6-8 yards with your legs on early downs, and then slide safely. Take it. That's a huge win for any offense nowadays. But let King just play ball freely, no need to think too **** much out there or be something that he's not

Just be an effective, fun, entertaining college QB. Dont worry about what the perception of NFL scouts and where he fits in at the next level

The difference between the Louisville and FSU games, and the Clemson and Pitt games: Louisville and FSU dropped back and let King throw the ball. Thats why we converted on those long *** third downs. This O-Line has done a much better job protecting King on a 3vs5 or 4vs5 blocking matchup as they have done in years past.

Clemson and Pitt blitzed the **** out of us. They attacked the O-Line and made them think.
As has been noted, Lashlee has schemed his way to some long td plays. He's used plays early in the game to set up later plays that went for touchdowns. We all love this. Now he needs to scheme his way to some first downs and there's no reason why he can't. I watched a lot of nfl games this past weekend and every single one that I saw featured plays with picks or rub routes. Last night I watched the Cardinals line up with a 3 wr bunch set. All the wrs zigged and zagged different directions and Deandre Hopkins defender got lost in the crowd. The result was a wide open Hopkins and a 60 yard gain. Teams want to man up outside? Fine, run some rub routes to get guys free for some easy first downs.
The TD from Harley was from a bunch set, with all three guys going vertical. Going into that Pitt game, I felt that we installed some new stuff into the offense and brought some new plays. It will be the same with Virginia.

THIS. Early in the season, I felt as good on 1st and 10 as I did on 3rd and pick your yardage. He was zipping the ball all over the field with authority, and we got whatever we needed when we needed it. That’s disappeared the past two games and makes all the difference.

Need to get him going early and build up his confidence. We’re a completely different O when he’s on point like that. Everything clicks.
You forgot to mention that we just faced our two best defensive opponents.

Advertisement
So what you all are saying is that we are good, as long as we don't face Pitt/Clem type defenses or any good defense in general...i get it; we will struggle against good defenses but our weak schedule will work in our favor.

430BC507-DC3D-4B09-B539-81FD74919805.jpeg

like to see Lashlee focus on​

OPEN UP YOUR PLAYBOOK AND GET EVEN MORE >............”Creative “👀💥🎥🌴🙌🏿🌴🖊

Last edited:
Advertisement

Kyler Murray has no issue throwing short routes over the middle and he is AT LEAST an inch shorter then King.

Some good points here.

As to 1, part of the problem I observed last Saturday was Pitt bunched the LOS. I don't think that short stuff is as available now as it was earlier in the season. I think defenses are playing the run and the short stuff and daring King to beat them deep.

As to 2, totally agree. All the elite offenses I see seem to do a lot of damage with those routes but like DTP said, I wonder whether King struggles with those passes b/c of his height?

Kyler Murray has no issue throwing short routes over the middle and he is AT LEAST an inch shorter then King.
Kyler Murray measured 5’10” at the combine. King is 5’9” on a good day. But that’s not the whole story. Anytime you have a shorter qb, you need to open passing windows for him to throw underneath passes over the middle. When your interior line gets shoved into the backfield on a regular basis, you’re it going to have any windows. If you’re 5’9” and you have a bunch of guys who are 6” taller than you right in your face, you’re not going to be able to see anything.

Advertisement
Back