Two Games In And...

ThomasM

Retired from college football
Two games in and there's no talk of, "We can still win thee ACC". How refreshing that is.

The right hires make a difference. I am not sure how Mario got it so wrong last year, but it appears he hit a walk off grand slam with the current staff. Night and day doesn't begin to describe it. They are using the players they have, and playing to their strengths. Nothing, and I mean nothing bothers me more about a coaching staff than one that tries to pound a square peg into a round hole, all **** year. Finally, FINALLY we have a staff that gets it.

Great job, Mario. You put together a top notch staff.

Advertisement
Looks like Saban got it wrong too. Alabama’s defense looked like Miami last year. Steele wasn’t tearing it up, but he had Gattis to take the heat. Gattis screwed Miami twic-over by being the WR’s coach.
I gave Steele a bit of a pass last year, as you could tell the players just didn't care. They knew the O wasn't going to score. He could have gotten more out of them, though.

Alabama should never have to hire a retreat. Huge mistake on their part.

Usually the ACC-win calculus starts after we play an ACC game, but point taken. Nice to be 2-0 with two solidly-played games. Last time we strung together a full 8 quarters of hard fought football was 2017 with VT and ND.

Advertisement
The right hires make a difference. I am not sure how Mario got it so wrong last year, but it appears he hit a walk off grand slam with the current staff.

I'm going to make this simple.

Last year he tried to go Saban-style, hiring all-star coaches who may need some rehab.

This year, he went Cristobal-style, like he has (mostly) done it at FIU and Oregon. Hire some lesser-known guys who will likely get promotions in 2-3 years.

Cristobal-style works better for Cristobal.

Advertisement
Back