Two areas to fully trust Mario in

What’s the lesson? We will improve. Likely not to the level many find acceptable. Last season I said we improve by 1 win. People lost their mind saying that was “unacceptable.” Well, we improved by 2 wins.
Now I am saying we will improve by yet another 2 wins. 9 win season. We still have lots of youth and inexperience. Year three will be an improvement from Mario’s first two seasons. The Freshmen will continue to grow.
Add yet another top 10 recruiting class and I am optimistic for year 4 to have a double digit season.

Advertisement
Spot on.

Here is an example of Mario’s ability to identify top talent. As I recall, Lew was initially a 3 star but Mario and Mirabal treated him like a 5 star.

…that’s a frosh against SEC DTs…not too shabby.

People water down the definition of elite around here. But Mario is ELITE at HS OL recruiting. I think with Beard and JT, you can add WR and DL to minimum Top Decile evaluations. Nicholson may have a say there at LB. Jury out on the other position groups, but overall we have the right leader and program in place to land not just paper tigers (Richt 2018, Manny 2021) but legit Top 5/Top10 classes year in year out.

We all know my gripes with Mario on gameday. His resume speaks for its self. His game management is frustrating and has been an issue going back years. Same with his offenses. Those areas are more than fair to be critical of the guy. Even the biggest homer would agree. That said the areas where I’ll continue to blindly follow him is roster management and recruiting. He’s earned that.

The whole Ward soap opera got frustrating with all the up’s and down‘s. It dragged out much longer than I’d ever have expected. I’m even on record saying I would have moved on after the first week. To his credit he held his cards close and refused to fold. His hard head is his biggest strength and his biggest weakness.

During the process I kept saying i’d wait until it’s over before giving my take. I remained confident he’d get a quality qb ( receipts below ) . It ‘s year three and anyone with sense knew he’d go all out for his qb.

I think some here should learn to do the same rather than stressing for no reason. Imo he deserves better on that front.
The man has been around a while, however getting excited in the offseason is far from getting old.

I am glad he's building and developing a very solid roster. That's all well and good.

It's time for some ******* wins and success....period.

He was thrown under the bus at Kentucky. Patrick Towles was awful. Not like Kentucky's offense was good after he left. Stephen Johnson was at best mediocre.

I'd like to see what Dawson will do with a quarterback he has confidence in. There was no concern the first 4 games. It changed once TVD started to imploded. He was very limited with Williams. Same with Brown which was unfair because that kid did not take a live snap all year and our line was a shell of what it was during the season
sure. My post was less an attack on Dawson and more a question as to the origin of every time there is a bad play call it was because mario jumped in and overrided Dawson.

I learned my lesson, I never doubted Mario's recruiting except for the QB position. That's gone now.

I overreacted and I'm ready to get the **** I deserve for this month of incessant moping.
Alex appreciate you manning up. I agree with Original, we as a fan base are bi-polar and need to be constructive with our complaints without personally attacking each other, but more specifically the coaches/players.

Advertisement
Now that we have our qb …there are no more excuses…we havent had a qb like this in how long? This team better win min 10 games.

Canes were 20,000 to 1 as of one week ago. I placed a $40 bet for ***** and giggles (8K). I'd suspect it moves to around 2,000 to 4,000 range in the next few days..

UGA is +375
Fspoo + 1800
Gaytor + 15000

They're at +7500 on Hard Rock Bet right now

THIS!

Mario, just recruit and be the face of the program. Continue to bring in the horses and leave the game day prep/management to your coordinators.

Just give them the talent to work with and get out of their way!
Is there any evidence that he’s not doing this already? Has anyone credible told us that Mario was the one who shut the offense down after the ATM game? These are serious questions I’m not trying to call you out.

Advertisement
and Bro ball just won the NC

larry david television GIF
Anyone with a functioning pair of eyes can see that MC is trying to build us into the Michigan/Bama/UGA mold for sustained success. He’s not going to go flashy on offense instead he intends to out talent and overpower our opponents. I know we are all hoping he puts it all together and gets there.

Yoyo, I ain't mad at ya.

I just want to point out, it is easy for people (NOT talking about you specifically) to say "I was wrong" and "I'll eat crow" after the fact.

It is more challenging, and less common, for people to hold their emotions at bay for a few days or weeks, and exhibit more cautious patience as the process plays out.

Again, even the biggest insiders and moistest slurpers had concerns over the past month. I've got the texts to prove it.

That is all. I've simply been troubled to see all the scathing name-calling directed at Mario and Cam and Reese during this QB recruitment. I'm bothered by knee-jerk hot-take absolutism when it comes to simple discussions.

Nobody has said "never be critical". But in a complicated recruitment, there is a lot going on behind the scenes that cannot be conveyed in real time.

Recruiting is not for the faint of heart. We have to be prepared to ride the rollercoaster.

Go Canes!
We all must realize handling our emotions and keeping them in check is extremely difficult. Fan is short for fanatic after all and for the most part, our members in here are fanatical non-stop.

The defensive line recruiting and Ward’s saga should be reminders for all of us to keep our emotions in check and our **** together at all times

sure. My post was less an attack on Dawson and more a question as to the origin of every time there is a bad play call it was because mario jumped in and overrided Dawson.
My guess is Dawson, but it was clear that he lost confidence in TVD. He has also said he is not a guy who pulls the hook on his quarterback during a game. He wants them to play through it.

I wouldn't have trusted Williams against a very Clemson defense in his first start. Same against FSU at Doak in his first road start.

Advertisement
We all know my gripes with Mario on gameday. His resume speaks for its self. His game management is frustrating and has been an issue going back years. Same with his offenses. Those areas are more than fair to be critical of the guy. Even the biggest homer would agree. That said the areas where I’ll continue to blindly follow him is roster management and recruiting. He’s earned that.

The whole Ward soap opera got frustrating with all the up’s and down‘s. It dragged out much longer than I’d ever have expected. I’m even on record saying I would have moved on after the first week. To his credit he held his cards close and refused to fold. His hard head is his biggest strength and his biggest weakness.

During the process I kept saying i’d wait until it’s over before giving my take. I remained confident he’d get a quality qb ( receipts below ) . It ‘s year three and anyone with sense knew he’d go all out for his qb.

I think some here should learn to do the same rather than stressing for no reason. Imo he deserves better on that front.
Great post totally agree @Cribby but I’m still dying to know how somebody gets to his position after 40 years in the game give her take most of it as a coach and doesn’t know how to take a knee in similar things that even the dumbest person on this board gets right usually

Advertisement
I haven't been concerned with talent acquisition since Coker's last years basically and I saw it didn't win you games. Talent has never been the problem, it's what you do with it. We haven't had national championship aspirational talent, but we've consistently had better talent than our records indicate.

It why I remain pretty even keel when we land someone or don't. That day doesn't matter, it's the days, months, and years that follow.
Thought you said pretty even kneel at first. The ptsd is real.

My gripe with fans is the polarizing opinion and how it changes from day to day. In the summer the complaining on recruiting and DL line specifically. Then it turns around. The the portal and QB situation. It’s like the same dance and show all year and now 2+ years running. “Mario can’t get WR, can’t get QB” “He can’t recruit DL”

I understand and agree on the Game-day issues and improvements he needs. But the “fly the banner” “I was never a fan of him” is unnecessary. I always have felt and still do, if Mario can’t win here, we will never win again.

That man will stop at nothing and do whatever he can to make sure the roster, talent, and development is what it should be. Let’s hope that maybe age and experience he learns to lean on others with the X and O’s stuff. HC that call plays don’t win NC. CEO’s of well oiled teams/organizations do.
Great post!
I agree w this sentiment and feel confident we will have a stacked cupboard….im HOPING Marvelous Mario can self assess and learn to get out of the way of Xs and Os and just oversee the program

Anyone with a functioning pair of eyes can see that MC is trying to build us into the Michigan/Bama/UGA mold for sustained success. He’s not going to go flashy on offense instead he intends to out talent and overpower our opponents. I know we are all hoping he puts it all together and gets there.
Agreed
He wants to win up front on both sides of the ball - which I agree with 💯
I’m looking forward to Miami mauling teams and not self sabotaging
When we get to that point a la Michigan this year, we will enjoy it

Advertisement
Back