Tweeting recruits a violation???

I don't see anything wrong if you tweet a guy saying "Welcome to the U" or something along those lines when he commits.

Constant badgering is a bit weird.

Advertisement
Honestly, if you're tweeting a recruit showing him love for playing for your alma mater HS team I can handle that but tweeting him anything about your favorite College team makes you a **** im sorry

Nope. Not even then.

Not saying I do but thats just about the HS they went to and that may have nothing to do with any college but tweeting about a college is for no life **** heads.

You can't enforce this because rival fans would be tweeting recruits trying to ***** over their rival. No way you can monitor all this.

Bottom line don't tweet a 17&18 year old.

Advertisement
The NCAA has about as much of a chance at stopping this as I do at becoming the next HC for the Miami Hurricanes.

They act as if they are fu**ing big brother. They think they can control everything lol. Joke of an organization. Can't stand them.

I personally don't tweet at recruits, but wouldn't bash anyone who does when it may just be something along the lines of "Welcome To The U", "Hey, good luck wherever you go", etc.

That said, the NCAA will never be able to stop this, nor would they get away with punishing the player and/or universities because a "booster" tweeted at a kid.

I personally don't tweet at recruits, but wouldn't bash anyone who does when it may just be something along the lines of "Welcome To The U", "Hey, good luck wherever you go", etc.

That said, the NCAA will never be able to stop this, nor would they get away with punishing the player and/or universities because a "booster" tweeted at a kid.

I follow some just to get there words from their own mouths. I rarely ever post to one, but do post to some of the current Canes with only positive fan tweets. I believe Bush's dad was having an issue with cancer, and the family couldn't afford some of the care, so there was a donation page set up for his dad. I donated to that and tweeted it out. The family tweeted a thx, some of my followers helped. He reached out through twitter for help.

I think that context has to be used when talking about tweeting folks and do's and don't. Absolutes and always box you in, like it's *** to tweet a football player or such. Then you read a story like below and hopefully it changes to a softened stance such as "Should rarely be done"

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/31/3531847/miami-hurricanes-safety-deon-bush.html

Miami Hurricanes safety Deon Bush helps dad tackle toughest foe: cancer

UM safety Deon Bush is stepping up to help his dad cope with cancer – including letting his Twitter followers know about a website that details his father’s plight.

UM safety Deon Bush is shown with parents Michele and Gary Bush Sr. and sister Nya, left. WALTER MICHOT / MIAMI HERALD STAFF

Fullsize Buy Photo
previous | next
Image 1 of 2

Related Content
•Sports Buzz: UM battles looming
• Miami Hurricanes get commitment from Winter Park DE Trent Harris
•UM Blog | Eye on the U

BY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN

sdegnan@MiamiHerald.com

While University of Miami starting safety Deon Bush lay at his Miami home in June recovering from outpatient hernia surgery, his dad, Gary Bush Sr., lay in another room dealing with liver cancer.

“I was Nurse Bush at the time,” said Michele Bush, a former UM and North Carolina Central basketball player who is the assistant principal at Coconut Palms K-8 Academy in Homestead. “We’ve struggled, but God always makes a way for us.”

The Bushes, who met when she was a sophomore at UM in 1986 and he was a graduate of Mississippi Valley State (he played wide receiver with this weekend’s Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee Jerry Rice), have raised two star football players and an accomplished basketball player. But right now they’re just three devoted children trying to stay positive for their ailing father, a 51-year-old Miami Southridge High science teacher known throughout Miami-Dade for his generosity in helping young athletes in need.

Eldest son GJ (short for Gary Junior) will soon begin his redshirt senior season as a starting receiver at Purdue; Deon started six of his 10 games as a freshman last season and was named by Miami coaches as Newcomer of the Year; and daughter Nya, 13, is a middle-school hoops standout.

They used to struggle to keep up with their ultra-fit dad. Now they’re cheering every step toward what they hope will be his full recovery. The journey continues with expected surgery next week to hopefully remove part of the cancerous liver and his damaged gallbladder.

“I want people to be aware you can be a healthy, strong person and still have things going on in your body that you don’t realize until you get a checkup,” said Gary Bush, now on leave from Southridge. “Cancer is the last thing I ever imagined. I was getting up at 4:30 a.m. and doing five miles at the gym, lifting weights. I don’t drink, don’t smoke, and all of a sudden it happened to me.

“My health wasn’t the first thing on my mind – kids, school, work. I was always running, running, running. A year ago I couldn’t even tell you where the liver was located.”

WEBSITE CREATED

With the help of friends, Gary Bush and his family have created a website to inform others of his situation, make them aware of the importance of checkups and share his strong faith. Bush, an avid churchgoer and follower of pastor Alphonso Jackson at the Second Baptist Church in Richmond Heights, takes joy in online messages of hope from outsiders. And as much as it pains them to admit it, the family is struggling financially with exorbitant medical bills.

“He’s a very down-to-earth, great person, and I’m a changed young man because of my father,’’ said GJ, who played football, basketball and ran track at Columbus High. “I get up every day and push myself like it’s my last day. I don’t take anything for granted. I appreciate things more.”

Deon, who came to UM as a four-star recruit and has been urging Twitter followers to go to his dad’s website, turns 20 on Aug. 14. He played football, ran track and played one year of basketball at Columbus. He finished his first college season with 34 tackles, three pass breakups and tied for second in the ACC with three forced fumbles.

UM begins training camp Saturday, and players aren’t available for interviews until then. A person close with the program revealed that Deon had the offseason surgery to repair a slight tear in his groin, and sports hernia repairs also were made. He has been rehabbing and is expected to make a full recovery, though a time frame has not been revealed.

“Deon was more concerned about me,’’ said Gary, who had eight chemotherapy sessions, including one in which “they shot the chemo right into my liver.

“At first Deon wasn’t that strong, but we talked about prayer and what God can do. Deon and [UM cornerback] Tracy Howard and [tailback] Duke Johnson came by to see me recently. I told them, ‘Don’t take any day for granted.’ I never did lose my faith.”

COMMUNITY EFFORT

Many in the community are rallying around Gary Bush, including fellow teachers and even fathers of former Hurricanes football players. Gary Bush started Team Miami in 2008 for teenagers who were looking to play AAU basketball but weren’t quite good enough to make the high-profile teams that often receive funds and equipment from national sponsors. Bush spent his own money over the years to provide teens with registration fees, uniforms and equipment so they could play, too.

“He’s the most decent person I know,’’ said Michelle Williams, who is close with the Bushes and works as an aide at Southridge. “Gary is a giver. He’ll give you the last cent in his pocket. He always helps out the students, whether it’s with lunch money, ID money, or a kid needs to pay for something or he won’t graduate.

“Now, it’s Gary who needs help. I don’t know how else to put it.”

Florida City police chief Pete Taylor, father of late UM and Washington Redskins star safety Sean Taylor, coached Deon in youth basketball at Kendall’s Suniland Park and has been friends with the Bush family for years. He said Deon – “He has a smile on his face and the heart of a lion” – and his dad have drives “that won’t quit” and are “tough-minded, humble and respectful.

“The Bushes show their kids the right way to do things, and Gary amplifies that to the community with his spirit and generosity. He cares about the people, and he needs their prayers and support. I know he’ll overcome this.”

Curtis McGee, father of Canes cornerback alum Brandon McGee – who is about to begin his first season with the St. Louis Rams – heard about Gary Bush and said he was praying hard for him. Curtis, 53, was diagnosed with late-stage throat cancer in 2000 and had his larynx removed in 2001. Today, he is thriving.

“I never was sick before, never had a broken bone in my life, but I just put my faith in God and prayed on it,” Curtis McGee said. “All my prayers go out to Deon Bush and his family.”

To learn more about Gary Bush Sr. and his fight against cancer, go to teammiamibasketball.com

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/31/3531847/miami-hurricanes-safety-deon-bush.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
There's some Canes fan chick who stays doing this.

Shhhh. Don't speak bad about her or one of these dudes on here who thinks he can **** will screen shot it and send it to her.

Lol heres the bad thing, she's actually bad af but I think 35 and hits those recruits up heavyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy like its so uncomfortable because they all follow her and no telling what she does with them when she does meet them

Advertisement
Hey, HCanes...after this post you are now well over 22k + of useless posts!

yeap, getting lazy. i'll update it now.

rdj_thanks.gif.pagespeed.ce.Gwmh31v6mQ.gif

Arkansas fans think this is rule is adorable.

Arkansas fans on twitter are the most desperate fanbase I've ever seen they're still prob. still blowing up Chad Thomas or Kiy Hester's accounts to come to Arkansas and play in the SEC with the World's Greatest Fans......woooo pig sooie

Arky fans stay thirsty

Advertisement

Arkansas fans on twitter are the most desperate fanbase I've ever seen they're still prob. still blowing up Chad Thomas or Kiy Hester's accounts to come to Arkansas and play in the SEC with the World's Greatest Fans......woooo pig sooie

Arky fans stay thirsty

I have to tell their tactics work. I would prefer losing a recruit to them if it will mean I dont' have to read their tweets being re-tweeted by the recruit.

Arky fans stay thirsty

They hired Shannon. Case Closed.

Not to mention tweeting 18 year old boys is just flat out ***. nevermind the fact they aren't even apart of your school yet lol. Now if it's an 18 year old cheerleader.....I'll violate the NCAA all day every day.

If you're older than 21 and you don't feel creepy for even sending a "friend request" or "follow" or whatever it's called, to a HS kid, something is wrong.

That being said, there's nothing the NCAA can do about it. They definitely can't punish the school that is recruiting the kid unless they can prove the administration had something to do with it.

Advertisement
Back