TVD's last 6 games

I know nobody cares right now, because we need an AD and a coach, but eventually, that HC is going to have to coach this football team, so I wanted to take a look at what TVD has done since the NC State game, because it's really a very impressive run, and it's now a 6 game sample size, which is half a season. You can talk about the level of competition, and you won't get much of an argument from me, but truthfully very few QBs both in the ACC and Nationally have had a 6 game run like this.

We already all know the first accolade he checked off the list last week.....first ACC QB in the last 15 seasons with FIVE straight 300+ yard passing and 3+ TD games. Well, make it 6. He did it again on Saturday to the tune of 381 yards and 3 TDs.

Here are his numbers in the past 6 games:

157/238 (66% completions) for 2194 yards (9.22 YPA, 366 YPG), with 20 TDs, 3 INTs That's a TD% of 8.4% and an INT% of 1.2%. Also a rating of 168.61

Let's look at where those stack up nationally for the whole season:

66% completions would rank 24th in the country
9.22 YPA would rank 7th in the country
366 YPG would rank 4th in the country
8.4% TD percentage I believe would be 3rd in the country, behind CJ Stroud and Bryce Young only
I believe Bryce Young leads the country in INT%, and his number is 1.02%. So TVD at 1.2% is fantastic.
168.61 passer rating would rank 7th in the country (For comparison, King finished at 152.74 last year)

So, clearly, this is simply a ridiculous run. We can't entirely ignore the struggles early against UVA and UNC, two pathetic defenses. He was not good in those games, especially in the first half. And he didn't beat FSU. So, it's not entirely roses. But you really can't deny or ignore how downright sensational he's been the 2nd half of the season. Top 7 in rating, YPA, TD%, YPG....I mean, that's best in the country type ****. That's Heisman type ****.

Kudos to Lashlee and the receivers for a lot of this as well. And the offensive line. We've pass blocked very well, Lashlee has been letting this boy cook, and the receivers have been MUCH better catching the football this year (thank you, Charleston).

Bottom line, there is so much to be excited for with this kid. That's probably the best 6 game stretch in the history of the school. Hopefully the next coach hires a dynamic OC who plays to this kid's strengths, because there is a LOT to work with here.

Advertisement
This is why I said we need to be patient with him if he struggled early on and not bench him for Garcia at the first sign of adversity. Granted, I never expected anything like the run he's been on, which has been absolutely incredible. Kudos to Lashlee for having that discussion with him and tailoring the offense to suit TVD.

Blueprint is there for the next guy.

Advertisement
Not gonna hold first couple games against him, diaz **** program couldn't get him any real game reps last year so that was to be expected and lashlee is on record he is one who put cuffs on him in first half..

FSU is on him, he came out and started out bad but redeemed himself.. guys like kaaya got killed for losing to FSU in past.. tvd better bring it next year at the rock, lol

Not gonna hold first couple games against him, diaz **** program couldn't get him any real game reps last year so that was to be expected and lashlee is on record he is one who put cuffs on him in first half..

FSU is on him, he came out and started out bad but redeemed himself.. guys like kaaya got killed for losing to FSU in past.. tvd better bring it next year at the rock, lol
How's that? We took a 28-20 lead in that game. He didn't commit the 7 or 8 penalties, or drop two passes. All in the 1st quarter. That game is on Diaz.

Advertisement
How's that? We took a 28-20 lead in that game. He didn't commit the 7 or 8 penalties, or drop two passes. All in the 1st quarter. That game is on Diaz.

No, but he was erratic early in that game and clearly nervous. Much like he was against UVA and UNC.

But we're not turning this thread into a bash-fest, for anyone. Not TVD, and if you want to bash Manny, there's 500 threads on that.

We're going to talk about this kid's growth and potential for next year in this one.

We started off slow and Tyler has a half that blame. But he battled back and took the lead and did his part. The defense fumbled that game

If he legit has a even better season next year.. I can see him legitimately being a top QB draft candidate..

he’ll be by far the best in the ACC coming back, and he’s the 2nd best QB in the state of Florida behind Brady lol.

Advertisement
TVD has been fantastic, and our young receivers have flashed incredible ability as well. It helps us a lot that we finally established an aggressive offensive identity that takes advantage of the talent we have at receiver.

I forgive TVD for the early games. He was thrown into his first start in a manner of speaking and UNC was on the road. He actually played better in the second half. He struggled in the first half at FSU, but the young man is a first-year player in terms of game experience. Next year and the year after have tremendous potential if we keep our offensive identity.

TVD's potential will help us land a really good coach if our administration does not find a way to make a mess of this.

Last edited:
TVD is a real one, and I seriously doubt if he'll be here next season. Another full year close to this one and he's a first rounder.
That being said, I hope Garcia sticks around.

Advertisement
I’m team both of these guys but realistically van dyke is gone after next season and then it’s Garcia’s job

Absolutely. But will Garcia be that patient? 10 years ago, it wouldn't even be a question. But in today's climate, does he bolt now for the chance to start next season somewhere else?

Absolutely. But will Garcia be that patient? 10 years ago, it wouldn't even be a question. But in today's climate, does he bolt now for the chance to start next season somewhere else?
I think Garcia will stay because of the talent around him and the stage we should be playing on by the time it's his turn. In some ways, it's the ideal situation for him. Alabama's model of stockpiling uber talented QBs can work here. And I do believe Jake is uber talented. Being a bit of a gunslinger - risk taker - a little time will help him figure out what he can and cannot get away with at this level.

We've finally started to recruit talented receivers. If we can keep Ibieta we'll have had back to back classes with difference makers at the receiver position.

Being able to send receivers into the game in waves so that they can stay fresh with TVD at QB and Arroyo and Mallory at TE and either Don or Rooster in the backfield will be a nightmare to stop.

He was so good you have to wonder what our record would have been with nearly any other quarterback.

Whomever the next coach is, they have to be bright enough to see they have an All-American candidate on their hands. With actual substantive defensive improvement and coaching next year we can win 10 plus games.
Heisman Candidate

Saw an article where the #1 WR coming out next year has us in his top 2. (Innis) Even if we dont get him and he goes to USC..Can we not F this up and get TVD a real OC that can keep him on this path? The domino effect of this could save this program or sink it. Big time WRs will absolutely want to play with TVD/Garcia and JBrown.

Advertisement
Back