TVD was bad, but…

clarkyboy_21

#patriayvida
I know TVD’s performance is overshadowing everything else, as it should - he was terrible. Realistically, man should have like 10 INTs in the last 3 starts. But we need to give the defense more credit imo. Given that our offense did them no favors, AND the tempo that UVA was using on top of that, those guys battled all game. We were great in the redzone, our DL was relentless getting penetration in the run and pass game, we didn’t give up too many explosive plays, and we got after their QB.

Some guys that stood out to me: LT got penetration often, Deen played well and brings a lot of maturity to that DL, Jayden Wayne got in the mix on some passing downs which was great to see, Kiko was awesome, JW came up clutch on some tough tackles limiting big plays when it mattered most. Let’s not forget that a BIG reason we won is bc of Kam’s pick six, absolutely massive play when we needed to build momentum. And lastly - Reuben ******* Bain. Have you seen a better freshman regardless of position here recently? Ahmmon was up there, but this dude is DIFFERENT.

Big s/o to them and Coach Guidry. We are by no means perfect - that first drive was unacceptable. Our corners leave a lot to be desired. We also NEED to fix our issues defending against tempo, but that’s also magnified when you have to keep getting back on the field bc of your offense’s deficiencies. But overall, their resilience and toughness can’t be overstated. Sidenote: Andy Borregales is a BEAST.

We found a way to win and that’s something a lot of teams in CFB struggle with. Tough decision coming up for Mario regarding TVD and our offense, this is a hinge point in our season now coming into November with a tough slate of games. I say give me Emory and maybe work in Jacurri on run downs with the occasional screen or RPO mixed in. But more importantly, give our playmakers the ball in space - we NEED to target 0, 4, and 3 more. Ray Ray needs more burn too, he’s shown it on ST, give him more pt and let him cook.

We are not perfect at all, but we’re now bowl eligible and that’s already an improvement from last season (sadly). Let’s enjoy this victory Sunday. Keep fighting and GO CANES!

Advertisement
I know TVD’s performance is overshadowing everything else, as it should - he was terrible. Realistically, man should have like 10 INTs in the last 3 starts. But we need to give the defense more credit imo. Given that our offense did them no favors, AND the tempo that UVA was using on top of that, those guys battled all game. We were great in the redzone, our DL was relentless getting penetration in the run and pass game, we didn’t give up too many explosive plays, and we got after their QB.

Some guys that stood out to me: LT got penetration often, Deen played well and brings a lot of maturity to that DL, Jayden Wayne got in the mix on some passing downs which was great to see, Kiko was awesome, JW came up clutch on some tough tackles limiting big plays when it mattered most. Let’s not forget that a BIG reason we won is bc of Kam’s pick six, absolutely massive play when we needed to build momentum. And lastly - Reuben ******* Bain. Have you seen a better freshman regardless of position here recently? Ahmmon was up there, but this dude is DIFFERENT.

Big s/o to them and Coach Guidry. We are by no means perfect - that first drive was unacceptable. Our corners leave a lot to be desired. We also NEED to fix our issues defending against tempo, but that’s also magnified when you have to keep getting back on the field bc of your offense’s deficiencies. But overall, their resilience and toughness can’t be overstated. Sidenote: Andy Borregales is a BEAST.

We found a way to win and that’s something a lot of teams in CFB struggle with. Tough decision coming up for Mario regarding TVD and our offense, this is a hinge point in our season now coming into November with a tough slate of games. I say give me Emory and maybe work in Jacurri on run downs with the occasional screen or RPO mixed in. But more importantly, give our playmakers the ball in space - we NEED to target 0, 4, and 3 more. Ray Ray needs more burn too, he’s shown it on ST, give him more pt and let him cook.

We are not perfect at all, but we’re now bowl eligible and that’s already an improvement from last season (sadly). Let’s enjoy this victory Sunday. Keep fighting and GO CANES!
Our offensive analysts aren't earning their paychecks!

I am with you. Sure, I can nitpick the defense, as they have had some lapses but overall, props to them because even after the lapses they rebound and respond. It also doesn’t hurt to have a #44 out there. He is what we call a game changer. And when you have one of them things on the defensive line, oooh boy you gotta appreciate it.

Last year, a loss like the one against GT would’ve sent the team into a tailspin. We saw it happen. The last 2 games this year would’ve been losses last year. This year, the guys are playing their asses off until the last snap. That’s the biggest difference I see.

Advertisement
The D got the business too yesterday. Luckily we held them to fg’s. They used a lot of motion and pretty much got every matchup they wanted. Thank god for Bain or there’s no telling where we’d be.
Crazy if you go back and chart the snaps compare their yards per play when Bain was off the field vs on. Scary that he’s only a freshman.

Advertisement
SmartSelect_20231029_103210_Chrome.jpg
SmartSelect_20231029_103318_Chrome.jpg
SmartSelect_20231029_103342_Chrome.jpg

The D got the business too yesterday. Luckily we held them to fg’s. They used a lot of motion and pretty much got every matchup they wanted. Thank god for Bain or there’s no telling where we’d be.
Fair, they did dink and dunk us down the field and mixed in the run pretty well. We gotta figure out a way to adjust to teams that can run tempo effectively tho. That being said, we should be winning comfortably giving up only 20 pts to the opposition. Something’s got to give on offense…

Fair, they did dink and dunk us down the field and mixed in the run pretty well. We gotta figure out a way to adjust to teams that can run tempo effectively tho. That being said, we should be winning comfortably giving up only 20 pts to the opposition. Something’s got to give on offense…
If we can’t tackle in space this D is useless. The tackling was pretty bad yesterday. If we bring this O and D against Fsu it’ll be a replay of last year.

I might be in the minority but I was somewhat disappointed in the defense yesterday. It’s true we bent but did not break (FGs vs. TDs), but there was far too much bending for my liking.

My largest quip is with our corners. We play way too soft for my liking. I understand we lack speed at the corner position but UVA took advantage of our coverage and had their Monmouth transfer QB throw quick, 3-step drops all day long. It was death by a thousand cuts. The third and 13 conversion that lead to their first TD was incredibly disappointing and emblematic of the day (soft coverage + missed tackle = first down).

We focus too much on DT recruiting, but unless we improve our CB recruiting, we will continue to see teams nickel and dime us to death (a foreign concept to TVD but I will save that for another thread). No 5 star DT or DE can get to a QB on a 3-step drop. We need a massive upgrade of speed on the corners so we can play more press coverage and give our DL a chance.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back