TVD last year

jmiller

Redshirt Freshman
If you watch some highlights from last year like this one you can see Tvd doing the same things he's doing this year like locking onto 1 receiver etc. He's a one read quarterback right now. Even last year if the 1st read isn't there he usually just scrambles or throws the ball away. I think this year your seeing more of teams figuring him out than it is him adjusting to a new offense.

Advertisement
Yep, the backup QB is the answer to the issues we have. The backup QB is always the most popular player on any team.

We should be running a system that compliments what our players can and cannot do. Then you adjust it a bit based on who is on the field.

Lashlee was clearly able to adjust his system to fit TVD's limits, why can't Gattis? If Jake is that much better at processing the game, he will do just fine in a different system that is better suited for the entire QB room.

Most college QBs, even successful ones, are one read QBs. He looks like a confident guy, in a nice rhythm, the offensive playcaller giving him simple decisions to make, with good arm talent. The abomination that happened with MTSU (that started to avail against the powerhouses of Bethune and SouthernMiss) had little to do with them scheming TVD into trouble. His foibles are clearly a result of a very uncomfortable QB, whether that is his head or a slow-plodding offensive system designed by a caveman - or probablly a mix of both - remains the issue. A good one-read QB, with the supposed talent differential that Miami has over MTSU, would easily overcome any defensive design or "figuring out." As would a competent offensive coordinator.

Advertisement
If you watch some highlights from last year like this one you can see Tvd doing the same things he's doing this year like locking onto 1 receiver etc. He's a one read quarterback right now. Even last year if the 1st read isn't there he usually just scrambles or throws the ball away. I think this year your seeing more of teams figuring him out than it is him adjusting to a new offense.

You have a point Jake. See you next Saturday at 4

@jazperbc Can you enlighten OP to the one time he checked down. This is your moment. Cribby can even cosign again.

Yep, the backup QB is the answer to the issues we have. The backup QB is always the most popular player on any team.

We should be running a system that compliments what our players can and cannot do. Then you adjust it a bit based on who is on the field.

Lashlee was clearly able to adjust his system to fit TVD's limits, why can't Gattis? If Jake is that much better at processing the game, he will do just fine in a different system that is better suited for the entire QB room.
please lets stop this revisionist history. lashley ran the same offense with king n king struggled.most coaches are stubborn, only the great ones like saban arent afraid to adapt. if these stubborn overpaid coaches arent gonna adjust their offense, then play the players that play best under said system..

Advertisement
I like this.

This is actually a good example of where the coaches have to pick up on this and go from there. Ultimately you want to develop your QBs.

Progression drills like a mother ******
1. Without DL pressure
2. With DL pressure
3. Without DL pressure and zone coverage
4. W/O DL pressure and man coverage

and so on, you get the idea.

You have to work in the footwork here, short and long drops.

and none of this happens overnight, right?

However, the fact that TVD is still showing the same tendencies, is definitely an issue with development. Coaches have to drill the **** out of these QBs and determine who can run the offense better, and you have to get defenders involved

please lets stop this revisionist history. lashley ran the same offense with king n king struggled.most coaches are stubborn, only the great ones like saban arent afraid to adapt. if these stubborn overpaid coaches arent gonna adjust their offense, then play the players that play best under said system..
So Lashlee was here longer than the last 6 games last year?

If you'd highlight in my post where I said Lashlee completely changed systems for TVD I would appreciate it. I'm not seeing where I said that.

I did say Lashlee adjusted his system to better fit TVD once he was in the game. You'd be stubborn to deny that. Lashlee admitted as much. TVD admitted it. The play calling was clearly different when King was QB and when TVD was QB. Significantly less QB running, many more deep shots.

Lashlee went to TVD and asked what he was comfortable running, then tailored his play calling around that. TVD does well reading half the field and running RPOs, Lashlee tool advantage of that. Gattis does not.

Most college QBs, even successful ones, are one read QBs. He looks like a confident guy, in a nice rhythm, the offensive playcaller giving him simple decisions to make, with good arm talent. The abomination that happened with MTSU (that started to avail against the powerhouses of Bethune and SouthernMiss) had little to do with them scheming TVD into trouble. His foibles are clearly a result of a very uncomfortable QB, whether that is his head or a slow-plodding offensive system designed by a caveman - or probablly a mix of both - remains the issue. A good one-read QB, with the supposed talent differential that Miami has over MTSU, would easily overcome any defensive design or "figuring out." As would a competent offensive coordinator.
Great points.

TVD, the OC and WR all need work. Find what works for TVD, don't miss wide open WRs and don't drop balls when they do actually get there.

They all need work, including Jake who also was not reading the D very well. They need time and a lot of work and adjustments.

Advertisement
I’ll be real I think y’all are on TVD as bad as y’all are because somewhere in the back of y’all head you can’t fathom Mario made a mistake lol

LOL, how many off-target balls do we need to see before we get to ride TVD? Another 20? 30? let us know

scheme sucks but so do the throws when the scheme does have someone open

All I see when I watch that is an open passing concept, that got players 1 on 1 matchups. Spread the defense out. Took advantage of mismatches in the passing game. You know a college friendly, QB friendly passing game, that opened up the running game after some big chunks. Saw multiple chunk plays. Prob more in that highlight than we had all season thus far

Advertisement
04:11 mark look at Mallory smh

05:29 has anyone seen anything like that from Gattis? MTSU was a perfect time for a call like this

I’ll be real I think y’all are on TVD as bad as y’all are because somewhere in the back of y’all head you can’t fathom Mario made a mistake lol
with all due respect i don't think it they're mutually exclusive. I 100% feel gattis is the wrong hire. 4 games is enough of a sample size for me. i dont care as to why he was hired, but yes that falls on Cristobal. In the same token, that doesnt excuse TVD from playing as bad as he has.

was he successful last year in a QB friendly offense? yes
does that mean he's the best fit to run this offense today? no

the only way to know is to give others a chance. the same way we want accountability for other players on the team, the QB should be held to the same standard of accountability.

Yup. And he also had Harley and Rambo bailing him out.

Don't have those same go-to options this year—and without Restrepo and George it's even worse.

Advertisement
Back