Turnover Chain Cristobal Era

• Thread starter Deleted member 23667
  • Start date
Oregon had one so how he goi come here and say we ain’t wearing the chains nomo…
when we start winning like Oregon did and does put whatever the ***k you want on, until then make the ***king play get up and do it again till you win. Celebrating a TO down 21 is like beating your 5 year old son in cards.

Advertisement
4BA8901E-5F42-4EDD-BAA9-1D883A3A23DF.jpeg

The only issue I had with the chain is that they had a new one every year. I wish they had debuted a new one for a special game or a significant moment. Basically create a bottom in the box it's carried in and nobody knows when the new one will come out. The person that green lights it is Mario, but the new one is a secret until that time.

Do the players like it? Yes. I imagine it isn't going anywhere.

Edit: If it is gone, bring it back during special or meaningful games.

Advertisement
It can be cringy, but if the players like it.... if you do use it I think there should be only one chain for special plays tos, tds, 50 yd+ fg, punt downed inside the 5, that type of stuff. However, I wouldn't miss it if it's gone.
Get rid of it. It was cool for a season but it's a played out gimmick that is symbolic of the all style zero substance culture that infested the Diaz era. We don't need it. No gimmicks just get to work, stack talent, work some more, then some more, go through the pain, anguish and frustration that comes from growing as a player, and as a team, then if we are good enough nobody will remember or have to remember the chain because we will have developed into a dominant program that wins championships.

seen several tweets from OU players referring to Mario as “no fun Mario” and how taking away the chain is consistent with his lack of fun personality which - apparently - rubbed some players the wrong way. 🤷‍♂️

Advertisement
I think I read the last chain we had was like $300k?? If I’m wrong on that, pls correct me. If I’m right, it’s a waste of money especially when it’s worn for a moment. I have no problem w/ props for kids. At the end of the day, a lot of programs have props to celebrate a a momentum shifting play. But $300k?? Nah, it was was cool when it was, but again, I wouldn’t mind seeing some other prop.

What made us look corny in it is getting blown out, still, LITERALLY, forcing the kids to put on them dumb *** rings & the chain, & posing for pictures. Then it just looked awkward, desperate, & low key clownish.

Exactly the forced pictures especially with the rings so lame.

And You could tell no one was really interested in them rings ever.

The chain was fire when it first came out. Then it lost its luster and became too much of a distraction.

With the other props the kids get them then sit down and get coached up.

We would spend the entire next 3 and out taking pics.

And yeah if it’s 300k the design process, maintenance and security for a prop isn’t worth it.

If you think getting rid of the chain somehow solves a problem, you don't even get the question.
Lispy took it a step further and added rings that’s when I knew the team lost their way. It was all part of his corny *ss gimmicky mannerisms which equated to zero results. Forget the chain for now win some big games and the rest including the chain will fall into place.

A lot of us are sick and tired of the turnover chain, and I totally understand why. It's a gimmick, it's a symbol of the Diaz era, and dear God why do they ALWAYS gotta pull it out, even when we are down by 3 scores. I'm in agreement with all of this.

That said, the turnover chain, back in it's heyday, was a force to be reckoned with. It could energize the team, help shift momentum completely in our favor, and demoralize opponents. There's a reason a bunch of teams copied the concept around the country, and I believe even some NFL players have experimented with it.

So why not do this: the chain only comes out when Coach Cristobal says it comes out. Like a mid-game (or post-game) helmet sticker but way better. It would obviously have to be a potentially game changing play on defense (like when Bandy took it to the house against ND; you knew the game was over at they point). Mario obviously ain't going to pull it out if we are getting blown out or winning but playing against the FAMUs of the world. And the players would have an added incentive to make the big play.

Thoughts?
Some DUMBAZZ TROLLS on this board.

Advertisement
seen several tweets from OU players referring to Mario as “no fun Mario” and how taking away the chain is consistent with his lack of fun personality which - apparently - rubbed some players the wrong way. 🤷‍♂️

Also lots of tweets from UM players saying how Feeley and the Manny program was all about punishment and how Feld and the new program is all about having fun, motivation, teaching self-discipline, and working hard.

I'd ignore a woman scorned, generally.

Manny Diaz thought of it and it had a decent little run. It’s time to move on and put them in the Hecht or auction them off all together. I understand every other team has turnover props. But we embarrassed ourselves far too often with it for it to remain as the every game prop.

Get rid of it is my vote
This is the answer.

Advertisement
Also lots of tweets from UM players saying how Feeley and the Manny program was all about punishment and how Feld and the new program is all about having fun, motivation, teaching self-discipline, and working hard.

I'd ignore a woman scorned, generally.

Yeah I hear you - just putting it out there. For every great leader, there are always followers who don’t see eye to eye.

Oregon had a chain albeit a very crappy one.

Maybe we should pawn the chains to pay for an OC and DC
If I'm correct the school doesn't own the chains, Manny does... He apparently paid out of pocket for them...
Even if the school did own them I'm glad Mario 86'd them....
It was fun for a bit but the novelty wore off when Manny made a joke of it by bringing it out being down multiple TD's and players gawking for the camera... Just a bad look...
I'm all for erasing everything connected to Manny and moving forward...

Advertisement
Back