Tune into Romberg Right Now

so you took two of the most elite schools in your comparison. k. if you want to use a real life comparison on schools, a UF diploma is gonna a much better value than say Emory and the debt even with Emory being in the top 25 yearly just due to the lack of debt and how worthless most UG degrees are now

and LOL it is not the gold standard. ask anyone on here as it relates to their majors and specific areas. there are better metrics to judge whether a school is good academically or not. you should also look up with US News uses as their factors in the rankings. there are presidents that know how to play the ranking system if that makes sense.

What are the other respected metrics? I'm not talking about specific majors. Although outside of a couple of niche disciplines, UM isn't elite in any major.

Advertisement
What are the other respected metrics? I'm not talking about specific majors. Although outside of a couple of niche disciplines, UM isn't elite in any major.

in the mean time just read up on this and a bunch of reviews and critiques of the US news. Malcolm Gladwell did a review for the new yorker as well. ill link the other metrics at the end of the day

in the mean time just read up on this and a bunch of reviews and critiques of the US news. Malcolm Gladwell did a review for the new yorker as well. ill link the other metrics at the end of the day

You're missing the point. It's not about whether people should pay attention to U.S. News Rankings. They do pay attention to them...to the exclusion of "other metrics."

U.S. News Rankings are the gold standard. Ask any admissions department. Schools that dispute the validity of the U.S. News rankings are declining schools.

Many private schools are a better value than public schools. For example, I'll take a Harvard or Stanford diploma and $250K in debt over a UF diploma and zero in debt.

No, they aren't, and this opinion is asinine.

The vast majority of the components of the US News and World Report are not even academically-related. They look at things like alumni giving ratio, freshmen retention rate (which is antithetical to academic rigor) and spending on graduate programs.

Stop perpetuating a myth based on lack of research. The only opinions that matter are that of employers and graduate schools. If Harvard dropped to 20th, it wouldn't stop its graduates being heavily recruited.

Advertisement
UM decided against hiring the Admiral who you know would not put up with this bull**** and hired a Mexican who probably has a rudimentary understand ding of football, much less college football and the effects it has on alumni and your grater national image. Again, our BOT. As a side note, I did hear the Mexican was furious when he started digging into Shalala’s hospital project that was filled with debt, bad management and cronyism. Sound familiar?

UM decided against hiring the Admiral who you know would not put up with this bull**** and hired a Mexican who probably has a rudimentary understand ding of football, much less college football and the effects it has on alumni and your grater national image. Again, our BOT. As a side note, I did hear the Mexican was furious when he started digging into Shalala’s hospital project that was filled with debt, bad management and cronyism. Sound familiar?
Shalalaugh – the consummate politician

The vast majority of the components of the US News and World Report are not even academically-related. They look at things like alumni giving ratio, freshmen retention rate (which is antithetical to academic rigor) and spending on graduate programs.

Stop perpetuating a myth based on lack of research. The only opinions that matter are that of employers and graduate schools. If Harvard dropped to 20th, it wouldn't stop its graduates being heavily recruited.

But Harvard isn't 20th in the U.S. News Rankings. Nor would it ever drop to 20th. This is because the U.S. News rankings (as flawed as they may be) are based on a number of factors that effectively differentiate universities. Btw, factors such as alumni giving (and money in general) and freshman retention are absolutely relevant in evaluating the functioning of a university.

Again, it is only the declining universities that complain about the U.S. News rankings.

Advertisement
and he didn't commit suicide.

oh sorry...wrong Epstein.
6D912416-E573-4020-8967-D28B9FDB170F.jpeg

The BoT makes its decisions based on the program this is—not the program too many think it should be. It is literally dollars and cents.

Small-time private school that was something back in the day, but got swallowed up by irrelevance the past 15 years while the sport grew leaps and bounds financially.

Go do a deep dive into the alumni-driven money SEC schools pump into their programs annually.

Miami has a fan base made up of non-alum who don't write checks—but donate to GoFundMe accounts for banners and billboards.

You want to know why UM is small-time—look no further than the fan base and lack of alumni-generated funds.

Of course the BoT is happy with the adidas money and ACC rev-share deal—keeps the program in the black, as they'd go into the red investing more into a program that isn't going to generate fan support and donations to keep this thing profitable.

The BoT makes its decisions based on the program this is—not the program too many think it should be. It is literally dollars and cents.

Small-time private school that was something back in the day, but got swallowed up by irrelevance the past 15 years while the sport grew leaps and bounds financially.

Go do a deep dive into the alumni-driven money SEC schools pump into their programs annually.

Miami has a fan base made up of non-alum who don't write checks—but donate to GoFundMe accounts for banners and billboards.

You want to know why UM is small-time—look no further than the fan base and lack of alumni-generated funds.

Of course the BoT is happy with the adidas money and ACC rev-share deal—keeps the program in the black, as they'd go into the red investing more into a program that isn't going to generate fan support and donations to keep this thing profitable.

Call it what it is: we're the welfare queens of the ACC.

Aren’t ranking heavily based on % of applicants that get accepted?

Advertisement
He's right about UM's declining academic standing. It's a mediocre university charging $60k per year. For that sticker price, you better be firmly entrenched in the top 50. UF was always a much better value. FSU is a better value now too.

The difference between #50 and #57 is pretty subjective and only 2 points out of 100. You know as well as I do that Miami has a different demographic and draw than Florida or Florida State or South Florida for that matter. My son was 9th floor Pentland last year and not one guy on his floor was from Florida. They were primarily from the northeast or international. The sophomores in his Air Force ROTC class from Miami total 7. He has kids from FAU, FIU, Barry, MDCC, etc. Of the 7 Miami kids, 2 are from Florida, 1 from Iowa, 2 from Virginia and 1 from Connecticut and 1 from New York. The upperclassman are pretty much the same. I think Marshall Few is the only Florida kid in the junior class and he's from Jacksonville.

I'll argue bull **** this is a mediocre university. Miami is tied with Penn State, Pitt and Purdue and 1 point behind RPI and Ohio State. And rated well ahead of Minnesota, Texas A&M, Fordham, Baylor, George Washington and some **** fine schools.

For one, bring in Alonzo to crack skulls.

That window has passed. Bringing in a Alonso Highsmith type to cover-up systemic deficiencies in your AD is not a solution. Truthfully, that just shows a bigger misunderstanding of the problem. It's Russell Athletic Boys thinking.

You have a weak, hands off AD who doesn't know how to manage the atheltics portion of the job. If you're the AD of UM, football is you job, not the BOTs, and certainly not something you should be passing off. Highsmith can't fix this alone, nor should he try.

Advertisement
its been the same education wise. the only diff is the US News Rankings which isnt the best barometer on whether a school is good academically or not. there are better metrics out there to determine that.

also, no private school will be a better value than a public school in that sense considering the cost differences esp for a florida resident where its pretty much free to go to UF w bright futures

But US News Rankings is used in the court of public perception.....and in that view, UM is now tied with FSU and Penn State.

I'm a Penn State grad and feel it's a good school, which is why i went over other more prestigious schools i couldn't afford, but i never viewed it as being close to the same level as UM.

But US News Rankings is used in the court of public perception.....and in that view, UM is now tied with FSU and Penn State.

I'm a Penn State grad and feel it's a good school, which is why i went over other more prestigious schools i couldn't afford, but i never viewed it as being close to the same level as UM.

I just wouldn’t use those rankings as an evaluator of a quality ug education which was my point.

Whether you would use those rankings as an evaluator is completely irrelevant. They are used that way.

that still doesn’t mean Miami’s education quality has dropped off though and using that to make that argument that you did isn’t a true measure of it.

Advertisement
Back