Trying to prove a new concept

I think it would work if the HC makes some philosophical changes. Everything evolves around the approach of the HC.

First, scrap the read and react system on defense. Golden can keep the 3-4 as base, just play more aggressive out of it.

Secondly, if Coley is going to run pro-style, keep the TE as a focal-point and feature the backs more in the passing game.

So things would work out for Folden if he became a completely different guy with completely different methods?

Obviously, nothing is guaranteed. That said, Golden's methods have produced a sub-500 record as a head coach. That won't cut it at mid-tier programs, let along at a program like Miami. Yet, he's still employed at Miami. The fact is that he will be the coach for another year. Like it or hate it. It is what it is.

I want Miami to be relevant again on the national stage, not scrub material teams schedule for homecoming. In order for that to happen there needs to be some changes philosophically. Al's way isn't working. Top 15 defense be damned.

And if Oprah was broke Steadman wouldn't be fcking her.

Folden is Folden. He's a failure for a million reasons. You act like he can just transform himself into a winner by deploying a different defensive scheme. He's a fcking loser. He's going to lose no matter what.

I don't care about who's ******* who. Get outta here with that ****. Listen, you know **** well I think Golden is an abject failure. We've discussed this **** so many times it ain't even funny anymore.

He is what he is. But, at the end of the day I want Miami to win even if you were coaching. All I'm saying is change some ****, and there might be a chance of winning big again. Perhaps he could finally live up to your "Don" status.
Great post. All he needs to do is change everything about himself and he has a chance.

Advertisement
Here's the thing, though. Sure, he is deeply invested in his system. However, when you know you're about to lose it all you do what you have to do to save your ***. Something needs to change or this is his last season at ANY major university, not just UM. He knew that no matter what happened this last season he was safe for another year, so he stuck to his schemes. Now, he's faced with being fired if he has another failure of a season. That could prompt him to make some changes.

Now, I'm not saying it WILL, but it darn sure should. Knowing Golden, he will go down with his misguided ship.
I agree. Just saying I think it would work if he was willing to evolve as a coach.
You say this as if there's a chance.

Golden wrote a 13 volume magnum opus detailing his football philosophies, pillars, foundations, footers and what not. And you think he's gonna scrap that because a bunch of football imbeciles are calling for change? Pfft. Al Gorlden laughs in your general direction. Ask him and I'm sure he'll tell you that a 6-7 record in year 4 is covered in volume 5, chapter 32, paragraph 2.

IMO, if Golden is going to turn this **** around it is his only chance. Either change or kick ******* rocks. His choice. I'm a Cane regardless.

My point is he's too invested, in too deep in what he believes that he is not going to change. He just isn't. He really believes his way works and we're all gonna be standing around after *next* season holding our ****s wondering how the **** did he just win the Coastal/ACC/playoff game/NatChamp. Understand that it's always *next* season with his plan, it's always SWAG16,17,18,19...that's gonna be THE class. It's all he knows so he will push on, regardless of what anyone else on this ****ing planet thinks.

If I were to guess, and this is only a guess, he's given up on local coaches/high schools because they've made it clear that they don't "buy into" his program any more. So, he's gotta go find talent elsewhere. I don't think he ****ed people off I just think he made it clear he wasn't changing and they responded in kind. Sure he pulls a few here and there but even that's not gonna keep happening (if he's still here after this year)

If you subscribe to the "he knows he's on the hot seat, so he knows he needs to change" theory, then no coach would ever get fired. They'd just change their ineffective ways to effective ways as soon as they landed in the hot seat.

Folden's problems aren't a tweak or two from being fixed. His entire philosophy and approach to the game is wrong and doesn't work here. Telling the DL to one gap isn't going to fix all that.

Here's the thing, though. Sure, he is deeply invested in his system. However, when you know you're about to lose it all you do what you have to do to save your ***. Something needs to change or this is his last season at ANY major university, not just UM. He knew that no matter what happened this last season he was safe for another year, so he stuck to his schemes. Now, he's faced with being fired if he has another failure of a season. That could prompt him to make some changes.

Now, I'm not saying it WILL, but it darn sure should. Knowing Golden, he will go down with his misguided ship.
You say this as if there's a chance.

Golden wrote a 13 volume magnum opus detailing his football philosophies, pillars, foundations, footers and what not. And you think he's gonna scrap that because a bunch of football imbeciles are calling for change? Pfft. Al Gorlden laughs in your general direction. Ask him and I'm sure he'll tell you that a 6-7 record in year 4 is covered in volume 5, chapter 32, paragraph 2.

IMO, if Golden is going to turn this **** around it is his only chance. Either change or kick ******* rocks. His choice. I'm a Cane regardless.

My point is he's too invested, in too deep in what he believes that he is not going to change. He just isn't. He really believes his way works and we're all gonna be standing around after *next* season holding our ****s wondering how the **** did he just win the Coastal/ACC/playoff game/NatChamp. Understand that it's always *next* season with his plan, it's always SWAG16,17,18,19...that's gonna be THE class. It's all he knows so he will push on, regardless of what anyone else on this ****ing planet thinks.

If I were to guess, and this is only a guess, he's given up on local coaches/high schools because they've made it clear that they don't "buy into" his program any more. So, he's gotta go find talent elsewhere. I don't think he ****ed people off I just think he made it clear he wasn't changing and they responded in kind. Sure he pulls a few here and there but even that's not gonna keep happening (if he's still here after this year)

If you subscribe to the "he knows he's on the hot seat, so he knows he needs to change" theory, then no coach would ever get fired. They'd just change their ineffective ways to effective ways as soon as they landed in the hot seat.

Folden's problems aren't a tweak or two from being fixed. His entire philosophy and approach to the game is wrong and doesn't work here. Telling the DL to one gap isn't going to fix all that.

I said that in a thread after the Nebraska game.

The problem with Golden is he won't evolve as a coach and his career coaching record reflects that. Even at the highest level some coaches are constantly tweaking their systems to maximize production. Pete Carroll did it at Seattle. You don't know what you're going to see with BB's New England squad on any given Sunday. ****, even the cowgirls did it in Dallas. IMO, any coach who is unwilling to entertain and/or make changes will find himself unemployed when all is said and done. And Golden is looking down the barrel of a 12-gauge shotgun that's ready to be fired directly in his face. Translation: either get this **** together or BOOM..gtfooh!

You're saying it won't matter what Golden does because he will fail regardless. Perhaps. But, as we commented before the start of last season, one can hope. Sadly, I think Golden isn't going to change anything because deep down he really believes his methods work, even though there is a mountain of evidence that suggests otherwise. Man, I just hate it for these kids. They deserve better.

btw, Golden could make the necessary changes and still end up getting canned. Personally, I would like to see those changes made. It would go along way in dispelling the myth about not having proper personnel, etc.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back