Truth about Saban

Advertisement
More dopey nonsense from you.

It doesn't matter what UM was "before sanctions". Those sanctions were brutal. Hey, SMU used to be a pretty big deal at one time too, but they got the death penalty. You literally bloviated for three paragraphs to tell us what we already knew, that UM was very desirable pre-sanctions.

Oh, and now you're whining about "cherry-picking"? Maybe you shouldn't be such an absolutist telling us how EVERY good team "curb-stomped" Butch. All I did was to provide the examples that are the opposite of your false statements.

And don't try to act like you are some sort of expert because "you were there man". What a joke. I've had UM student status or Hurricane Club/season ticket holder status since 1986. I was "there man" for all of the good and the bad.

Look, if you want to wallow in your "humiliation" and "misery", then you should go full-Chuck-Rhodes and find a ********** to get you through all of your emotions.

But, sure, you earn some sort of a special badge because you sat through some rainy games. Try actually being friends and classmates with players, getting to know coaches. Walk a mile in their shoes and learn what sanctions did to the program. Talk to recruits who chose Miami, as well as those who DID NOT choose Miami, and find out how important "upcoming" or "current" or "former" sanctions were in their decision-making process.

You are one of those "special" dimwit fans who immediately expected an undefeated season in 1998, because "sanctions are over".

You're no fan. You're just a person who pays money to try to live vicariously through kids who are far more talented and hard-working than you will ever be.

"Sanctions were over". You are ridiculous. The scholarships lost in 1997 impacted us for FOUR YEARS.

But look at you, nitpicking margins of victory and strength of schedule for a Head Coach who lost nearly 30 scholarships. You're a "real man", aren't you?
More than you were paid to sit on your fat **** in the rain crying about your misery and humiliation.

Kind of hard for me to make less than the zero dollars now isn’t it?

Saban is a good coach and great program builder but to act like he is the greatest CFB coach of all time is ridiculous. Bama outspent other schools by 10’s of millions of dollars each and every year. Whether it was bags for players or all the analysts he hires, never has there been such a disparity for so long. Now a handful of other schools are spending close to what Bama spends and you see Bama starting to slip of their pedestal.

But didn't see eye to eye with Portis...Hence him not selecting him in Cleveland....Butch loved Edge and James Jackson like no ones business..
The kid from BC was a good back but I was a Portis guy. Edge was beamed down from another planet, Willis and Gore were unreal but CP is my type of guy. Too bad they had differences but that stuff happens.

You don't have to tell me about that. One of my roommates was a football player, I saw our recruiting pitch letter at the time, it was a brag piece about how many of our football players had at least 1 ring over the past decade. And, yes, it was factually accurate, but it was arrogant as ****.

Every year, more JJ guys left and more Erickson recruits came in, and our team kept fielding more entitled dip****es who didn't have the same work ethic. They just expected to strap on the helmet, win games, and get drafted to the NFL. Sad days.

Butch fixed A LOT of stuff.
Alcoholism isn't just your "private life". I was a personal eyewitness to numerous Drunken Dennis episodes. I still love him as a coach, but it's hard to separate the job performance from "his private life" in this particular situation.

Reputations precede people. It was an open secret that you could often find Erickson down at the Alumni House/Faculty Club bar. Hard to maintain team discipline with 85 kids (most under the age of 21) in those circumstances.

I don't hate the guy, he was a helluva coach. But he also had some serious problems that were not just "private life". I wish he could have gotten things under control sooner and stayed at UM longer. Jumping to the NFL sure as **** didn't fix things.
Thanks for the lesson on Coach E, but my cugina played a very important position for him, Coach is a friend. Dennis is in the UM HOF and college football HOF only HC in UM history with two rings. Contrary to some folks here, there are other people that have close ties to the program. Believe me the atmosphere in 83-92 years was unmatched, 95-2000 was like Pop Warner. Stay in your lane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
The kid from BC was a good back but I was a Portis guy. Edge was beamed down from another planet, Willis and Gore were unreal but CP is my type of guy. Too bad they had differences but that stuff happens.
I forgot the most important part of my response. I love James Jackson, was at the game at Giants Stadium when he broke that huge run against taint. I will never speak ill of James Jackson. Do you hear me IAMJAMESJACKSONSBROTHER? Your brother is aces in my book. Peace be with you.

People get made when harbaugh says he gets away with cheating like harbaugh is wrong. You let some schools get away with moving 35 Hawaiians to Alabama but suspend Miami kids for test driving a car lol
It was 35????

Aside from small stuff from 95-2000 there weren't...there was certainly no SEC type bags....The NCAA were waiting like clockwork for UM to Stub there toe in the slightest....Administration watched Butch like a Hawk...
I used to here their were bags but only for really local kids in the ‘80’s. Not sure if it was true.

....and not to be left out...When JJ wanted someone Bad...and needed to close the deal...It was Butch who closed it...
I remember when Butch went by Marty Rubin’s Sports Den store in NMB to buy a hat to take to Jesse Armstead in Dallas. He was the prize recruit so it makes sense he was Butch’s target. JJ loved Armstead but never got to coach him. One of the greatest recruiting wins in UM history. Maybe number one recruit in the country.

First and only time I met Butch was in Fritzel’s on Bourbon Street just before ‘90 Sugar Bowl against Bama. Butch was really smooth....I could see him being a great recruiter. Much better personality than Saban whom I’ve seen on TV a bunch of times.

He and his wife were there along with Tony. They had just finished their first year at Dallas. Butch was telling me the Gundy kid (can’t remember which one, Mike I think) was a great up-and coming QB prospect. He still knew the kids from his neck of the woods....Okies and Arkies....although he was in the NFL.

Advertisement
I remember when Butch went by Marty Rubin’s Sports Den store in NMB to buy a hat to take to Jesse Armstead in Dallas. He was the prize recruit so it makes sense he was Butch’s target. JJ loved Armstead but never got to coach him. One of the greatest recruiting wins in UM history. Maybe number one recruit in the country.

First and only time I met Butch was in Fritzel’s on Bourbon Street just before ‘90 Sugar Bowl against Bama. Butch was really smooth....I could see him being a great recruiter. Much better personality than Saban whom I’ve seen on TV a bunch of times.

He and his wife were there along with Tony. They had just finished their first year at Dallas. Butch was telling me the Gundy kid (can’t remember which one, Mike I think) was a great up-and coming QB prospect. He still knew the kids from his neck of the woods....Okies and Arkies....although he was in the NFL.
@TheMatador ....I could go on and on...but will refrain from doing so, because the Butch Haters will come in droves....

Two nfl hall of famers in Andre johnson and Reggie Wayne
Somebody here on another thread said CJ was not a good recruiter. Some idiots here think they know everything or make stuff up. I was ready to pounce but why start a fight with an idiot. Our hole Louisiana recruiting went down the whole went Curtis left.

His recruiting was Absolute Garbage from 91 to 94....he lost Absolute control of the team...Players were out till 4 am the morning of NC against Bama...
I am the biggest Dennis homer of all time and wear the badge proudly. He is the best Xs and Os head coach we've had. However, the highlighted is true and is ridiculous. Our performance in that game was shameful.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back