True or untrue: Virginia Tech is in better shape than Miami as a program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Advertisement
You don't think it's a relevant debate?
No, I don't at all. Bud Foster has been VT's entire identity for over two decades now and is retiring after this season and appears to have already checked out mentally (which I figured would be the case). The Hokie faithful have no clue what their identity will even be moving forward. Fuente has been an unmitigated failure up to this point and very possibly will not survive the season or offseason. They have a massively fractured lockerroom and a culture right now that has been described by current players as "not fun to be there". A significant amount of their players are actively seeking an escape hatch. Their offense is in shambles; they have no QB; their recruiting classes which were never even that good in the first place are falling apart; and even attendance at Lane is way down in a town where there is nothing else to do on a Saturday. And they just got whipped by a bad duke team by 30+ at home. One of my best buds who is as big of a Hokie fan as we are Canes fans txtd me on Saturday with:

"Had to turn it off. it's hard to imagine we are this bad...we look like high school players out there."

and this morning with:

"just taking the under... we are a huge dumpster fire. I cant see us winning a game for the rest of the season TBO"

No, it's not even discussion-worthy, Rok.

Advertisement
Its a fair question, as of right now, i'd have to say we are in better shape because we have a better chance of getting all the way back to the UM culture than V-tech getting back to the V-tech culture, add in the fact that bud-weiser or bud foster, is dipping out. So right now, no doubt coach diaz from a culture standpoint is a way better fit, just like mendenhall up at UVA is the right fit. This fuente guy just doesnt seem like he belongs at V-tech, he has to overhaul that whole program to fit his style, and i can tell he definitely not use to them boys from Hampton Rds and the Newport News area.

In saying that, its still about who wins, coach diaz basically has most things it takes to be the headman here, he understands the style of play, time to win now tho!

Miami: year 1 of staff's tenure
Virginia: year 4 of staff's tenure

Miami: 12th ranked recruiting class
Virginia tech: 72 ranked recruiting class

Miami: lost some guys but got some guys through transfers
Virginia tech: everyone that could have left left and no one came in

No, I don't at all. Bud Foster has been VT's entire identity for over two decades now and is retiring after this season and appears to have already checked out mentally (which I figured would be the case). The Hokie faithful have no clue what their identity will even be moving forward. Fuente has been an unmitigated failure up to this point and very possibly will not survive the season or offseason. They have a massively fractured lockerroom and a culture right now that has been described by current players as "not fun to be there". Their offense is in shambles; they have no QB; their recruiting classes which were never even that good in the first place are falling apart; and even attendance at Lane is way down in a town where there is nothing else to do on a Saturday. And they just got whipped by a bad duke team by 30+ at home. One of my best buds who is as big of a Hokie fan as we are Canes fans txtd me on Saturday with:

"Had to turn it off. it's hard to imagine we are this bad...we look like high school players out there."

and this morning with:

"just taking the under... we are a huge dumpster fire. I cant see us winning a game for the rest of the season TBO"

No, it's not even discussion-worthy, Rok.

A bad Duke team? Duke is 3-1 and 14-6 in their last 20 games.

Miami doesn't have an identity problem, broken culture, or an offense that's in shambles?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Miami: year 1 of staff's tenure
Virginia: year 4 of staff's tenure

Miami: 12th ranked recruiting class
Virginia tech: 72 ranked recruiting class

Miami: lost some guys but got some guys through transfers
Virginia tech: everyone that could have left left and no one came in

These are fair points. My rebuttal:

-While it's just year one under Diaz, this has the feel of the same old thing and the fans weren't going to be fooled this time.
-Recruiting rankings don't matter as much when you're dysfunctional from top to bottom, as both programs currently are.
-Miami's transfers haven't quite paid dividends to this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back