TruCane81’s Offensive Review (All Plays)

TruCane81

Senior
After rewatching the game I thought it would be cool to discuss the game strategy as a whole and how different decisions had different consequences. Some good, some bad.

I will not be going into the micro details of execution. @Lance Roffers and @RomanMarciante @Hi are much better at that than me. I do welcome any and all input about the way I see what’s going on. All plays will get at least one screen shot. Plays will be listed chronologically with down and distance. Each half of the game will be a different post. This is EVERY offensive snap. Captions describe the photo ABOVE them So let’s begin

1st quarter

79F1F10C-A58C-4353-B2ED-AF4777B6E56A.png

1. 1st&10. 11 per. 5 wide Cam motions to rb. Playaction rollout. Good blocking. King hits Rambo for 7-8.I love this play. Get King moving and let’s defense know they can’t cheat run.

6FE10550-4106-4099-BF6D-66AD65D29255.png

2. 2nd&3. 11 per. Fake handoff rollout again. LOVE the pick by Harley. Good blocking except Scaife. First down to Mallory on out. The run fakes are working just like I always say.

B1BAF1AE-B605-4C5E-B44E-998908AC55CD.png

3. 1st&10. 11per. Inside zone good push up front. Allen is overpowering anyone in his way. Cam gets 5.

FBB82DE6-21AF-416A-A5C5-C7E442F965C0.png

4. 2nd&10(penalty). 11per trips. People say King should have pulled this. Huh? This is what he is seeing as Cam was going past him. Decent push. Cam gets 3.

47701737-EB8A-4ABA-96F5-BBBF170ECE01.png

5. 3rd&7. 11 Harley and Mallory h back. I HATE this formation as 3rd & 7 call. If this is a pass, why is Rambo blocking? No attempt at a route. This is a terrible call.Look at the “receivers”. Harley and Mallory would never get 7 yards on these routes. TERRIBLE.

6. 4th down punt.

5054F37D-5EC5-45D0-A18F-A7B071D0F691.png

7. 1st&10. 11 pers. Offensive Line gets dominated. Look how many blockers are pushed backwards. RG and RT stymied by one defender. Everyone not dominated is whiffing. Nowhere to go on iz. Cam gets 1. We should be passing on 1st Down more.

1ED54A57-7503-49B8-AD59-2086FB373060.png

8. 2nd&9. 11 pers. 3wr and te wide to the left. This is a bad read by King. Bubble was open with numbers. LG whiffs. Even if he blocked it’s 7 on 5. Run going nowhere. Cam miraculously gets 1.

6A833DC5-3013-4413-A088-FD60BB635FD8.png

9.3rd&8. 11pers. Empty set. Love this play. Hate the situation. Bama sends 5. Good protection. King hits Smith for 6. Only Mallory’s route went past the 8 yards we needed and the free safety was helping on him over the top. If we ran THIS PLAY ON 1ST DOWN, we would have our entire playbook available on 3rd Down.

10. 4th&2. Punt

2nd Quarter

8B0D8C78-EEA7-472B-8708-2527DAE8799C.png

CE129DFC-70C4-4F55-BA31-01756C8A08F0.png

11. 1st&10. 11 pers. Some plays need more than one shot. First frame. This is what King sees at the top of his drop nothing to the left open and RT is toast. He tries to climb but LT and LG are losing too. LG ends up 7 YARDS DEEP! King escapes. Now in the second frame, some say King should throw this crosser. **** **** NO! Not only is the pursuing LB in the passing lane, the receiver is bracketed from the back and a defender just off screen in front of him. King wisely runs for the first.

028E77E2-3498-4CAF-AD5E-48AB67624DFD.png

12. 1st&10. 11pers. 3WR 1 TE all wide left. THIS WAS A ****** TOUCHDOWN! ****** SCAIFE! The bubble is covered, but that ain’t what King is lookin for. He wants the slot who is ONE ON ONE with the safety. Look at the top right, inside receiver. That is the slot destroying the Bama safety with a double move with nothing but green grass between him and the end zone. KING SEES HIM! He is just starting to wind up and gets blindsided and strip sacked because Scaife didn’t lay a single finger on his man. Love this design. HATE this call. Why? Because we have done nothing to earn this opportunity. Nothing to slow down the pass rush. This same blocker just got King flushed the play before and the answer is to run a play that takes EVEN LONGER to develop? But King is holding Lashlee back right? Get the **** out of here. Why have we abandoned the playaction that got us our first 1st Down so easily? Disaster.

5C1F03A2-4D83-434E-8000-69D7C8BFE2ED.png

13. 1st and 10. 11 pers. strong slot bunch right. Mallory gets destroyed by Branch on the bubble screen. That’s all, folks.

12A1077B-AE2A-4E4D-9D09-8B2D0D9F4B98.png

14. 2nd&12. 11 pers. Empty 2WR 1 TE 1RB all lined up wide. Mallory got destroyed on the bubble right? That’s ok. 5’9 160 pound Harley gonna save Lashlee’s second favorite play. Bubble screen left. OH NO! Branch destroyed Harley too. He tackles Cam for 2 yard gain.

A7F66280-BFE2-4733-8B8D-886B910047BC.png

FA0B8639-462D-47B4-B07F-A92061C27100.png

15. 3rd&10 11pers. TE slot. This play gets two photos. Scaife gets beat so fast, King can’t climb the pocket properly (first frame). This is what he sees as soon as he finishes his drop. To add insult to injury, as he steps up, the OLB grabs his face mask. Ref is looking right at him. He maybe could have hit Mallory but he just bolted after getting his head pulled. **** these refs. Gains 5.

4th&5 Punt.

30362FAE-BD2E-4631-BC36-2D4D6C0B4659.png
16. 1st&10. 11 pers. TE SLOT. We run draw and a hole opens like Moses at the Red Sea. I like this. You are using Bama’s discipline against them. Chaney hits it hard. Too bad we couldn’t get a blocker to the second level, but that might have given it away. Bama is disciplined in their keys. The second level defenders are playing pass. Don gets 6. Cam wishes he could get a hole like this.

F3EE7F9C-7C7D-4D14-BCDD-F4AE2DEECF4F.png

17. Didn’t I tell you run fakes are our bread and butter? Didn’t I tell you we have to attack the middle with in breaking routes? Look how the play fake sucks up the second level. X is wide open for an easy 1st down.

A59D0196-4A75-42F6-B37C-81BDE8026B72.png

18. 1st&10 . 11 pers. trips right TE SLOT. This is what King sees at the top of his drop. I always stop it AS SOON as he sets his feet so you can see what he is really up against. There are hooligans speaking blasphemous drivel about our King and I am here to set the record straight. This is a dead play that we have not earned the right to run. Don COMPLETELY whiffs on blitzing LB creating instant pressure and collapsing the pocket. King breaks the tackle but Gaynor lost too. Sack. I don’t like all the deep routes but this is terrible execution. Not even a shorter route could saved this. Still, what if we spammed the run fake like we do bubble screen? Bama brought 6 and the middle was open. Might have allowed Don to actually block To’oto. Loss of 4.

7EB9874A-175A-4786-990A-57EC8F49E921.png

21. 2&14. 11 pers. Trips right TE slot. Bama is playing way off. King is holding the deep safety in the middle with his eyes while dropping. The deep routes to the right are covered and Mallory is bracketed. He looks to the curl route to the left. This is what he sees. Yep. Trying to bait him into a pick 6. King doesn’t take the bait. Zion is losing. Scaife has lost. King tries to improvise. Coverage sack.

B5C4210C-D175-4B69-8A22-EE7B9689038E.png
22. 3rd&18. 11 pers. Empty. Cam jet motions.You ****ed away 1st and 2nd Down running plays you can’t block. **** it. Might as well run a rb screen. I like this play design. Sucks we had to waste it on such a bad situation. Cam gets 5. Could have got a lot more but Navaugn took a bad angle and simultaneously missed a block while cutting off Cam.

23. 4th&12. Punt.

A4346870-6FE2-4621-8E7A-FAB79389562B.png

24. 1st&10. 11 pers. Empty set. King hits Smith at bottom of screen on curl. I love this design. Gives King options quickly. Wish we did stuff like this more. Gain of 10.

6A7778ED-691F-4811-AC97-DEE87B5105D0.png

25.1st&10. 11 pers. H back. Zone read. RG and TE get bullied and Cam is trapped. We wasted a lot of time running this drive. Cam got 2.

89C659AD-5B71-4BEC-B4DF-1D12A1B6BC81.png

26. 1st&10. 11 pers. H back. King hits Smith on the comeback. Kid is good if you protect him. Bama rushing three helps. Gain of

43397EF8-F5C9-4D67-92C2-6D1148CCF92B.png

27. 3rd&1? 11 pers. Trips Right. This zone run is D.O.A. See how much havoc is caused in the run game when you reestablish the line a yard in the backfield? Cam gets stuffed no gain.

42989D15-65CC-426C-BD95-327C898DA81E.png

28. 4th&1? 11 pers. Trips left TE slot. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS! These are the plays people who want more creativity in the run game are talking about! IZ look. Invite The Destroyer upfield. Instead of faking handoff, flare Cam out for the pitch. King avoids the hit pitching with perfect timing and gets Cam to the edge. Donaldson couldn’t get to number 8 so the play got strung out and Rambo’s man made the tackle. Make that block, there is big play potential. Still, Cam went down to easy. Gain of 4.

B7092814-1F4E-434E-A3CF-04B7968ABA4C.png

56FFD027-A8DF-4B64-B103-3D0D2B2AC1B7.png

29. 1st&15(penalty) 11 pers. Trips left 4 wide TE slot. King is holding the safety in the middle with his eyes on the drop. The first frame is what he sees when he sets his feet. Three receivers at the top are covered. I wish he could come down to the backside receiver in the middle of the field, but the pressure is coming too fast. Allen is single handedly destroying us. The second frame is what is happening at just 2.5 seconds after the snap. 1-one thousand, 2-one thousand, throw on the 3. This is 3! WOW! King avoids the sack and throws it away.

AC581DD3-270A-47D5-8790-EA9B3CD00E0D.png

30. 2nd&15. 11 pers. 4 Wide TE slot. Good protection. Allen pressuring but not a jail break. Everyone covered ideally King should climb the pocket and buy time, but with the way this game has gone, he has no rhythm or trust in the line. Fires to Harley incomplete on sideline.

ADB9536A-A028-4CF6-8235-1824C107011B.png

31. 3rd&15. 11 pers. 4 Wide TE slot. I don’t know what people be talking about. We got a **** good quarterback. Pressure comes from left he scrambles right and throws a strike on the run for 5. Bama keeping everything in front.

3C498045-BA8F-4BFC-9297-EF3C897097CF.png
039A1980-B9BA-43D9-82DA-464942D56BC3.png

32. 4th&10 11 pers. 4Wide Trips left TE slot.
Two frames. Protection and result. 1-one thousand, 2-one thousand, 3. Good protection King fires a ******* DIME for 16 yards on 4th Down! All the boy needs is protection!

3C498045-BA8F-4BFC-9297-EF3C897097CF.png

33. 1st&10. 11 pers. Empty. I have NO IDEA why Bama is in this defense. They have done a great job keeping us in front with their conservative coverage. Their dbs can’t guard us without jail break pressure and prevent coverage. If we planned for Allen better, we could have got a lot more points. Rambo was in slot at the bottom and is about to smoke the safety. Honestly I think the ref bailed us out. Their feet got tangled and they fell. Incidental contact. But the safety’s arm was extended when Rambo feel, creating the illusion of interference. What say you?

34. 35. Down ball in middle and kick FG

Attachments

• F758F1C1-B0CB-4B47-935D-8DD90B3C0070.png
    F758F1C1-B0CB-4B47-935D-8DD90B3C0070.png
    82.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 68CFAF44-CC17-499A-9FCD-DBD3C4F5490E.png
    68CFAF44-CC17-499A-9FCD-DBD3C4F5490E.png
    59.3 KB · Views: 8
Advertisement
This took a long time and I wanted to hit every play.

I assumed most zone handoffs were run as called. If I missed any RPO’s, please point them out for further discussion.

There has been much said about King’s poor reads and I pointed some of that out. I would like to hear you guys’ takes on the individual plays.

"12. 1st&10. 11pers. 3WR 1 TE all wide left. THIS WAS A ****** TOUCHDOWN! ****** SCAIFE! "

This play made me so mad. Harley had a full head of steam and the bama safety was caught flat footed. Harley was going to be so far behind his man he could walk into the endzone. All Scaife had to do was engage his guy at least briefly, but he completely whiffed instead.

Really good breakdown and I noticed a lot of the same things you did. I know this is the best defensive front we're going to see all year, but if this offensive line is actually improved from last year, was there any indication of that at all last Saturday?

Advertisement
"12. 1st&10. 11pers. 3WR 1 TE all wide left. THIS WAS A ****** TOUCHDOWN! ****** SCAIFE! "

This play made me so mad. Harley had a full head of steam and the bama safety was caught flat footed. Harley was going to be so far behind his man he could walk into the endzone. All Scaife had to do was engage his guy at least briefly, but he completely whiffed instead.

exactly smh. I said it a few weeks ago that if you blocked up front, plays are there to be made on Bama. Rewatched the first half today and Scaife shouldn’t see a snap unless it’s mop up duty

Last edited:
Really good breakdown and I noticed a lot of the same things you did. I know this is the best defensive front we're going to see all year, but if this offensive line is actually improved from last year, was there any indication of that at all last Saturday?

Yes.

Derrick Thomas got reincarnated and he is playing a second stint at Alabama as Will Allen. Or maybe Saban’s necromancers conjured up Thomas’ spirit to possess number 31. That kid is literally a super hero. NOBODY will beat Bama with that kid healthy.

The line well on some plays. Lashlee did not prepare like he was facing a prodigy that Bama had to pull from practice just so the offense could function.

We are much stronger in the middle and 70 at tackle makes us formidable against any non elite team. As long as we don’t quit mentally (we didn’t after Clemson) We will drag the rest of the schedule.

King will get even better. I expect Lashlee to as well . I only see one more loss. We have talent. Lashlee can be good. Diaz showed some fire. We have a lot to clean up, though. If we collapse, it will be all on Manny and his seat will be biblical. Exceeding hot.

I have to apologize for my critical comments early this week on King. For gods sake can we find a RT. I understand how elite Bama's defense is but there were a lot of plays to be had. I would love to see us hit a lot more quick passes and let the athletes run. This will open up the run game and deep shots.

King threw the ball accurately, i agree. But he absolutely made terrible decisions on when to hand off the RPO. All the while acknowledging the pressure he was under because of the right side. But running into a stack box led to those rushing situations for Bama. He is a 6th year SR getting hyped up. He has not played well in any game of consequence so far. Part of it, big part is the pressure, part of it is his poor decisions in the RPO.

Advertisement
King threw the ball accurately, i agree. But he absolutely made terrible decisions on when to hand off the RPO. All the while acknowledging the pressure he was under because of the right side. But running into a stack box led to those rushing situations for Bama. He is a 6th year SR getting hyped up. He has not played well in any game of consequence so far. Part of it, big part is the pressure, part of it is his poor decisions in the RPO.
How about we mix up on run game? It's the same boring zone read **** we didn't do well with last year. We had all off-season to add some new wrinkles and the only thing new we got was that rushed QB sneak at the goal line.

Advertisement
Yes.

Derrick Thomas got reincarnated and he is playing a second stint at Alabama as Will Allen. Or maybe Saban’s necromancers conjured up Thomas’ spirit to possess number 31. That kid is literally a super hero. NOBODY will beat Bama with that kid healthy.

The line well on some plays. Lashlee did not prepare like he was facing a prodigy that Bama had to pull from practice just so the offense could function.

We are much stronger in the middle and 70 at tackle makes us formidable against any non elite team. As long as we don’t quit mentally (we didn’t after Clemson) We will drag the rest of the schedule.

King will get even better. I expect Lashlee to as well . I only see one more loss. We have talent. Lashlee can be good. Diaz showed some fire. We have a lot to clean up, though. If we collapse, it will be all on Manny and his seat will be biblical. Exceeding hot.

Scaife is the modern day J Ina. The best laid plans can be ruined by one player. As much as I didn't like Lashlee's overall play-calling, and game plan, there were still plays that were left out there

The missed 11 on 11 the last two springs maybe catching up. I would like Lashlee to use check with me with the tempo. Do what Bama did and use the cadence to expose the defense. That or emphasize to King you want him to throw more early.

He was brilliant outside of those reads Saturday all things considered. Replacing with a freshman would be asanine

Scaife is the modern day J Ina. The best laid plans can be ruined by one player. As much as I didn't like Lashlee's overall play-calling, and game plan, there were still plays that were left out there

Agreed.

But everyone knew coming in Will Allen was the best defensive player in the country coming in. That’s what bugs me most. Not accounting for known limitations and patterns, in our team and the opponent.

Leaving Scaife on an island with that demon hoping for a miracle was cruel to everyone involved. He should have been hard doubling that guy after the 2nd series at the latest.

Advertisement
Agreed.

But everyone knew coming in Will Allen was the best defensive player in the country coming in. That’s what bugs me most. Not accounting for known limitations and patterns, in our team and the opponent.

Leaving Scaife on an island with that demon hoping for a miracle was cruel to everyone involved. He should have been hard doubling that guy after the 2nd series at the latest.

yeah, at least chip a guy off his caliber. Scaife is a player that has gone backwards, he actually showed a bit of promise early on, but a lot of shuffling his spot I think has hurt his game. And it seems like Justice O has taken his spot

Overall, I still believe UM is better off right now being a team that passes first, to run later. That's what many teams do that cant consistently push teams off the LOS early on...

Why do you have to bomb every thread with worthless GIFs? JFC. I think you should stop porsting bud, and immediately run back in the hole where you came from.
if that was supposed to bother me .... it didn't. next time you make a username, put "flea" in it.

Advertisement
Back