Trey Mourning

Notsince1985

Retired staff
Premium
I know everyone thinks he's a G-Town lock, but Ransom's coach was quoted as saying he's not, and that he's surprised Miami hasn't offered. He's averaging 34 ppg this year with Sam Singer at Cal. He'll probably go to G-Town, but it can't hurt to offer right?

Advertisement
We had a thread about this on a board you used to post on (ahem), but there were a few thoughts thrown around - some more educated than others - as to why we haven't offered. To provide context, I have never seen him play, and I have never spoken about him with anyone on the staff.

1. Our scholarship situation makes it difficult to take another freshman. We have one scholarship remaining, and we have only one scholarship in the 2015 class (Kelly) provided there are no transfers, early departures, etc. The staff would very much like to bring a little more balance by finding a way to move that scholarship to 2015.

2. We expect this team to be very good next year, but are concerned about the "thinness" of our frontcourt - Jekiri (developing), Kelly (inconsistent), Uceda (unproven JUCO), Sherman (unproven freshman). We'd really like to add an experienced front court player, particularly a 5th year graduate transfer who would move the scholarship to 2015.

3. He plays in 1A and hasn't played AAU ball, which means that he is unproven against big time competition. I'm sure that we have seen him, but it is hard to make a judgment.

4. The state recruiting sites don't think very highly of him - he's ranked 45th and 52nd in the state by the two major state recruiting sites. It could be that he's underrated because people hold him to a higher standard or have an agenda because of his bloodlines. It could be that others are overprojecting him because of his bloodlines as well.

I am sure that a combination of the above reasons and the assumption about Georgetown are all factors.

Oh, that board. Anyway, only brought it up for a couple of reasons. One, I went to Ransom, so I'm interested, and two, I saw it in the Herald, and the coach specifically said he was surprised Miami didn't offer.

Supposedly he's 6-9, doctors think he'll be 7-1 when he stops growing. He shoots very well from outside, as well as being a good shot blocker. Anyway, here are his highlights.

[video=youtube;a8zXP2YFSM0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8zXP2YFSM0[/video]

I know you went to Ransom since you brought this up last year too, haha.

I think this is one of the ways that the NCAA probation hurt us. With his body and his lack of competition, Mourning is the perfect "project" to redshirt, but we may not have that luxury now.

I see were Josh is coming from, we need an experienced big man for next years team. This team can't afford a young unproven big man for next years team.

Advertisement

I think this is one of the ways that the NCAA probation hurt us. With his body and his lack of competition, Mourning is the perfect "project" to redshirt, but we may not have that luxury now.

Hey, we've had like 5 D-1 prospects in 20 years, and 3 have been in the last 2 years, so give me a break. One thing in those highlights that I just noticed, was he was abusing Demetrius Jackson, our football signee, when they played Booker T. (#25).

We dont recruit Miami too often for w/e retarded reason

We whiffed on the big from Archbishop Carroll last year and yea not offering Mourning is crazy

Advertisement
Here is an article about Trey from a couple of weeks ago. Apparently Stanford, Alabama and Georgetown are after him.

By NBA royalty bloodlines alone, Miami Ransom Everglades star 6-9 forward Trey Mourning had a head start in his basketball career.

From his high-motor play, serious on-court demeanor, ferocious shot-blocking and high-stepping stride, Trey appears to be a carbon copy of his father, eight-time NBA All-Star and NBA champion Alonzo Mourning.

As valuable as those shared physical attributes are, Trey said his rise to being an elite player without his father, a current Heat executive, allowed his son to forge his own identity.

“I appreciate how my dad cared from a distance,’’ Trey Mourning said. “He didn’t want to force anything on me. He wanted me to love the game because I love the game. Whatever I was passionate about, he supported me doing whatever I loved. He gave me that space to grow as a person and as a man.”

Trey Mourning, who practically grew up in the Miami Heat locker room as his father chased an NBA championship, will be the marquee attraction at the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Stop the Violence Classic at Ransom Everglades this weekend.

Despite the loss of four starters from a Raiders team that made it to the state semifinals last season, Trey has kept Ransom (12-7) in the Class 4A state title picture by averaging a career-high 34.3 points, 10 rebounds and 3.1 blocks.

Class 2A No. 5 Deerfield Beach Zion Lutheran will have the first shot against Trey — a Georgetown, Stanford and Alabama target — on Friday at 8 p.m.

Two-time defending Class 6A state champion Miami Norland will offer its notoriously stingy defense against Mourning on Monday at 8:30.

Against archrival Gulliver on Saturday, Mourning displayed the poise under pressure Ransom coach Claude Grubair raves about by leading the Raiders back from an 18-point deficit.

Mourning followed up a career-high 52-point, 22-rebound, 12-block performance against LaSalle by pouring in 22 fourth-quarter points to help the Raiders rally past Gulliver 59-56.

During the comeback, Trey displayed a shooting range out to the three-point line, which contrasts with the inside game of his father.

“Trey knew that people would be double- and triple-teaming him this season,’’ Grubair said. “It doesn’t affect him. His skill set shooting the ball is unique from any other big in the state. He plays nothing like his father, and you really have to credit his parents. Rather than putting pressure on Trey to follow in Alonzo’s footsteps, they wanted him to follow his own path.”

Trey said the pickup games with his father stopped three years ago and have been replaced with added time doing individual workouts.

When he’s not in the gym, Trey said he studies vintage footage of Hakeem Olajuwon and contemporary stars Kevin Love, Jabari Parker and Doug McDermott to add to his game.

“The comparisons to my dad are not going to go away as long as I play high school ball and, God-willing, in the NBA one day,’’ Trey said. “The biggest thing I got from my dad was to have fun and compete. I just love playing this game. The love just keeps on growing. I love the competition. Just beating people. Winning is fun.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/01/17/3876196/ransom-everglades-trey-mourning.html#storylink=cpy

Oh, that board. Anyway, only brought it up for a couple of reasons. One, I went to Ransom, so I'm interested, and two, I saw it in the Herald, and the coach specifically said he was surprised Miami didn't offer.

Supposedly he's 6-9, doctors think he'll be 7-1 when he stops growing. He shoots very well from outside, as well as being a good shot blocker. Anyway, here are his highlights.

[video=youtube;a8zXP2YFSM0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8zXP2YFSM0[/video]

These are his junior season highlights if you look up his senior season you can tell he is much improved and more efficient scorer

What's up joshdacane? Thank you for your comments about the basketball team. This board lacks the attention football receives so anyone that can bring anything relevant is nice to read. Too bad, because coach L is building a product talented kids are interested in playing.

Advertisement
Does this guy have an offer from any school? Perhaps if he doesn't have any offers, dad can pony up the tuition and pay for his son. He certainly can afford it.

Did some digging. This came from Gator Country in December

Trey Mourning (6-9, 210, Miami, FL Ransom Everglades): Yes, the name does sound familiar and yes, he’s Alonzo Mourning’s son. Georgetown isn’t going to offer and the parental units are starting to warm up to Florida as an academic institution. They like Harvard, but Tommy Amaker has a nearly full roster. Trey shoots the 3-ball well and it’s encouraging to see him willing to bang a bit more. He camped at Florida in the summer and made a very good impression on the UF coaching staff.

247 lists no offers, but lists Miami as one of the schools looking at him.

http://247sports.com/Player/Trey-Mourning-19239

Advertisement
Did some digging. This came from Gator Country in December

Trey Mourning (6-9, 210, Miami, FL Ransom Everglades): Yes, the name does sound familiar and yes, he’s Alonzo Mourning’s son. Georgetown isn’t going to offer and the parental units are starting to warm up to Florida as an academic institution. They like Harvard, but Tommy Amaker has a nearly full roster. Trey shoots the 3-ball well and it’s encouraging to see him willing to bang a bit more. He camped at Florida in the summer and made a very good impression on the UF coaching staff.

247 lists no offers, but lists Miami as one of the schools looking at him.

http://247sports.com/Player/Trey-Mourning-19239

So no offers, perhaps he should walk-on.

Well, if Florida offers, and he becomes a Gator:diaf:

It's bad enough that Ransom's only D-I football recruit in the last 10 years went to Florida, I don't want Mourning going there either.

Advertisement
Back