Trenton Adkins (2021 RB - Virginia)

BWCD

Junior
Let me qualify this post with a few things:

1) I'm not some fan-boy of this guy's. He's a local kid up here in Southwestern Virginia that's a 4* back, and you don't see that a whole lot in these parts. I don't expect anyone to go crazy over his film - I think he has some flaws, but some potential as well that a program could certainly work with.

2) This area doesn't put out a ton of D1 football players, but when we do - they tend to be pretty good. This is the same area that produced:

Thomas Jones (UVA's all time leading rusher, over 10K rushing yards in NFL career, played in Super Bowl XLI with the Bears)

Heath Miller (UVA, former 2x Pro-Bowl TE and 2x Super Bowl winner with the Steelers)

Julius Jones (Notre Dame, brother of Thomas Jones, holds multiple ND school records for RBs/kickoff returns/punt returns, over 5K career yards in NFL career mainly w/Cowboys & Seahawks)

Justin Hamilton (former starting FS at VT, some NFL time with the Browns/Redskins, VT's current DBs coach) EDIT - Hamilton was recently named the new DC at VT, succeeding Bud Foster.

James Mitchell (current starting TE as a sophomore for VT, caught the long wheel route in the 4th qtr against us this year, 5 total TDs).

3) I'm only posting about this kid because he might end up at a number of teams we might play against (UVA, VT, UNC - Penn St/S Carolina/Tennessee are also interested). He has legit commitable offers from all of those schools except for VT at this point. I'm not saying he's necessarily a take for us in the 2021 class - especially with Thad Franklin committed.

All of that being said, here's the kid's Hudl page. Competition is not that great, some of the smaller schools in Virginia, but he is putting up numbers that haven't been seen in this area since Thomas Jones did it nearly 25 years ago, then went on to have a great career for UVA and in the NFL.

So - feel free to take a look. I've got my complaints about him (pad level too high, doesn't play as fast as he's timed, seems like he's not going at 100% against this lesser competition, looks for contact too much when he should just run by people), but he has good measurables (6'1/200, 4.5 40), and he has good grades, is a multi-sport athlete...and he's athletic enough to possibly end up at either S or OLB because he's physical and loves to hit.

Here's his Junior Year highlights so far:

Last edited:
Advertisement
Pad level is a concern for sure, but has a nice film even taking level of comp into consideration.
Good frame and appears to be able to bulk some more, good second back option for sure.

1) I'm not some fan-boy of this guy's. He's a local kid up here in Southwestern Virginia that's a 4* back, and you don't see that a whole lot in these parts. I don't expect anyone to go crazy over his film - I think he has some flaws, but some potential as well that a program could certainly work with.

2) This area doesn't put out a ton of D1 football players, but when we do - they tend to be pretty good. This is the same area that produced:

Thomas Jones (UVA's all time leading rusher, over 10K rushing yards in NFL career, played in Super Bowl XLI with the Bears)

Heath Miller (UVA, former 2x Pro-Bowl TE and 2x Super Bowl winner with the Steelers)

Julius Jones (Notre Dame, brother of Thomas Jones, holds multiple ND school records for RBs/kickoff returns/punt returns, over 5K career yards in NFL career mainly w/Cowboys & Seahawks)

Justin Hamilton (former starting FS at VT, some NFL time with the Browns/Redskins, VT's current DBs coach)

James Mitchell (current starting TE as a sophomore for VT, caught the long wheel route in the 4th qtr against us this year, 5 total TDs).

3) I'm only posting about this kid because he might end up at a number of teams we might play against (UVA, VT, UNC - Penn St/S Carolina/Tennessee are also interested). He has legit commitable offers from all of those schools except for VT at this point. I'm not saying he's necessarily a take for us in the 2021 class - especially with Thad Franklin committed.

All of that being said, here's the kid's Hudl page. Competition is not that great, some of the smaller schools in Virginia, but he is putting up numbers that haven't been seen in this area since Thomas Jones did it nearly 25 years ago, then went on to have a great career for UVA and in the NFL.

So - feel free to take a look. I've got my complaints about him (pad level too high, doesn't play as fast as he's timed, seems like he's not going at 100% against this lesser competition, looks for contact too much when he should just run by people), but he has good measurables (6'1/200, 4.5 40), and he has good grades, is a multi-sport athlete...and he's athletic enough to possibly end up at either S or OLB because he's physical and loves to hit.

Thomas and Juice played for Powell Valley right? Grew up not too for from Wise co. Spent a lot of time working in the Richlands and Bluefield area back in the early- mid 2000s. Caught a few games during that time. There were some really good players in the area.

Where you from out that way?

Justin Hamilton (former starting FS at VT, some NFL time with the Browns/Redskins, VT's current DBs coach)

Solid. Nice film. Future monster

Advertisement
Thomas and Juice played for Powell Valley right? Grew up not too for from Wise co. Spent a lot of time working in the Richlands and Bluefield area back in the early- mid 2000s. Caught a few games during that time. There were some really good players in the area.

Where you from out that way?
Hm...small world. I grew up in Coeburn, live in Wise now.

Yeah...Thomas/Julius were both from Big Stone Gap...so is James Mitchell. Powell Valley was the HS Thomas and Julius went to, but PV merged with Appalachia HS and it is now called Union...which is where Mitchell graduated from.

Adkins is a transplant into Clintwood, which is where Justin Hamilton started and went to HS. The ****enson Co schools consolidated and became Ridgeview HS, which is where Trenton plays.

Went to high school with his cousin in East Tennessee and he plays 7on7 with some local kids near me. Majority of his family are gator fans and the rest are vol fans I would say he ends up at one of those 2 schools or a more local team like VT, UNC, Maryland.

Those coal field counties produce a good one now and then. Most seem to go to VT or UVA.

Bumping this since the Thad Franklin decommitment.

We need to keep fighting for Thad, but this kid deserves at least a phone call to gauge his interest. I still think he ends up closer to home, but it's worth a shot if we want at least 1 RB in the 2021 class.

Side note - the Justin Hamilton mentioned in a couple of spots in this thread was recently named Bud Foster's replacement, is their new DC. Could be a factor in keeping Adkins home.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back